Menu

HS in three years - how to finesse transcript?

So, younger dd who has just come home from 9th wants to graduate in 3 years.  If I do go with 1 3-4 credit DE class = 1 yr hs credit (which is what our local ps also does), then it can be done.

The problem is that if I just think of this year as 10th, she will have a '9th-grade" year that's pretty darn sparse, especially because she ditched homeschooled 8th halfway through for ps (so I can't count any of that - none of the 8th grade homeschool stuff was completed, and nothing from 1/2 year 8th grade at ps is going to count for hs credit either).  The only thing I could possibly count before this year as proper high school is Algebra 1 and Chemistry (which she did with Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry and awesome outside labs at a high school level) - both of which she actually completed two years ago, although she did Algebra again at the ps, but if I did class descriptions I'd list the AoPS, not the half-year of ps.  I'm going to pretty much pretend like that didn't happen.  Except that it leaves a gap...

I know I can do a transcript by subject, but I'd still have to list what year the courses were completed, and that would mean that she'd have a whole year where the only thing she completed was Algebra 1 (which I'm guessing wouldn't be a complete fib, since she did take more of it last year...)  She'd have 4 credits of English, but it would be one this year, one next, and two 'senior' year.

This is very much her plan, and I'd be totally fine with her doing 4 full years.  This will be contingent on her completing a few courses over the next couple of summers, so it could be moot - but if she amazes me and sticks to her plan, how could I spin the transcript?  Would it be okay just to straight-up say she did high school in 3 years?  If she sticks to her plan, she'd end up with 26-7 high school credits (and around 48ish college credits), so it's not the number of credits that's the problem, just that they'd all be squished into 3 years...

Not an expert, just someone like you who is brainstorming possibilities. I'm trying to remember if any of the universities I've looked at stipulate 4 discrete years of high school learning. I can't remember if any do. I only see that they say 4 years of English, 3 years of math and so on. Why couldn't some students complete 2 years of English in one if using DE right? Mine is definitely doing that. We think he will have only 3 years of social studies and with a gap between when he took them. But he will also have more than 4 years of math for all the math he chose to double up on.

If you submit course descriptions, you would also submit your own letter to explain your homeschooling philosophy and perhaps you could explain the situation there?

• Like 1

I don't see why you would need to retroactively make her 8th grade year into 9th grade. It wasn't. It was 8th grade. This year is 9th, next year is 10th, and the year after that is 11th. She wants to graduate after 11th grade. If she can make the credits work then she can do that. There is no need to change the grade numbers.

If it's important for some reason that the year she graduates be called 12th grade (though I'm curious what that reason would be, as I can't think of one) then put down that she skipped 9th grade and went directly to 10th. This year is 10th, next is 11th, and the one after is 12th. (Or perhaps this year is still 9th but she skips 10th and goes directly to 11th.) But last year was 8th. Nothing you do this year changes the past.

• Like 3

I don't see why you would need to retroactively make her 8th grade year into 9th grade. It wasn't. It was 8th grade. This year is 9th, next year is 10th, and the year after that is 11th. She wants to graduate after 11th grade. If she can make the credits work then she can do that. There is no need to change the grade numbers.

If it's important for some reason that the year she graduates be called 12th grade (though I'm curious what that reason would be, as I can't think of one) then put down that she skipped 9th grade and went directly to 10th. This year is 10th, next is 11th, and the one after is 12th. (Or perhaps this year is still 9th but she skips 10th and goes directly to 11th.) But last year was 8th. Nothing you do this year changes the past.

Good point. So maybe I should just put three years on the transcript, an maybe add a column for 'before x year', and not bother with grade levels at all?. .. You think as long as she has the credits they won't care about the compressed schedule?

Good point. So maybe I should just put three years on the transcript, an maybe add a column for 'before x year', and not bother with grade levels at all?. .. You think as long as she has the credits they won't care about the compressed schedule?

Who is it you think will care?

Why do you have to list the year the courses were completed? I just indicated which courses were taken in in middle school and didn't say anything about the rest. The colleges seemed fine with it, though I know that some schools specify that they want to know when things were taken.

Who is it you think will care?

The big state U (which is currently her school of choice, although she's 15, so that could change...) says that they want the year courses are taken.  And, darn it, they also want me to list which grade... :glare:  This is from their requirements for homeschool applicants:

"Regardless of the format, a transcript should include all 9th to 12th grade courses (including those in progress) and the timeframe of each course (academic year and semester). "

On the really fantastic news front, though, in checking into this again, I noticed that they've finally removed the requirement for a GED from homeschoolers - well, they've added a fourth way for homeschoolers to prove graduation from high school, which is to have 27 or more college credits, which will not be a problem for her.  This is a school that was a huge stickler for a GED from homeschoolers (enough so that almost everyone I know who went there from my state just gave up and took it), so that is super-duper-fantastic news!!  I had been a bit worried about having to jump that hurdle when we got there. 

I think someone from this board had it out with them a while back, and said they'd admitted their requirements were stupid if a kid had a ton of college credits already, so if that motivated this change, thanks to whoever that was!!!!!!

• Like 2

Hmm

Do you have to report to some state entity each year with exactly what courses will be or were taken that academic year?

If not, just assign classes to academic years.

;)

Actually, I do have to report an ed plan fo approval each year. Although I kinda doubt a college would think to look at them, the CC transcript will also have all the years listed...

Actually, I do have to report an ed plan fo approval each year. Although I kinda doubt a college would think to look at them, the CC transcript will also have all the years listed...

j

Well yeah, the CC classes would be a problem. I was thinking more of non-CC classes.

(And thinking of our situation with dd graduating a year early, too!)

j

Well yeah, the CC classes would be a problem. I was thinking more of non-CC classes.

(And thinking of our situation with dd graduating a year early, too!)

A lot of CC is how she'd pull off the shortened time-frame. .. (like 2 semesters of CC English being equal to 2 yrs high school )

I don't know what colleges would think about a compressed schedule. If anything, I would think they would be impressed. A student who can do four years of work in three years must be a dedicated, hard-working student. Can you check with college admission officers?

But, regardless of what colleges would think, it reflects what the student actually did. She was not in 9th grade last year, she was in 8th. If she had been homeschooling and doing high school level work that you now wished to count on her transcript, then I could see an argument for changing her grade level after the fact. But not in this situation.

Dd decided to graduate a year early too. She decided much later in the game than yours. We did make 8th grade 9th, but most of her work was high school level. We were combining with ds for some classes and he was in 10th. We counted the Algebra and the ICP class she did with a 9th grade book. The only thing I just couldn't count was English. She took College composition during the summer at the CC and took outside classes for English the year before and this year, so all of them were verifiable credits. I did have to list 2 credits of English in one year, but since they were both outside classes and her transcript from the CC shows one done in the summer, it is pretty clear how that worked and that it worked.

So all that to say extra classes compressed into a shorter period and even some summer school classes can work together to make this possible.

But, regardless of what colleges would think, it reflects what the student actually did. She was not in 9th grade last year, she was in 8th. If she had been homeschooling and doing high school level work that you now wished to count on her transcript, then I could see an argument for changing her grade level after the fact. But not in this situation.

She was more accelerated, but she lost ground splitting 8th grade in half like that. I wouldn't count anything from that year. Also, I 'held her back' a year on paper in 5th, but didn't slow down her coursework. The Algebra and Chem she completed in 7th (what would have been 8th). I think I can also give her credit for German 1 & 2 at Sat School, as she's placed into German 3 at the CC.

Edited by Matryoshka

The big state U (which is currently her school of choice, although she's 15, so that could change...) says that they want the year courses are taken.  And, darn it, they also want me to list which grade... :glare:  This is from their requirements for homeschool applicants:

"Regardless of the format, a transcript should include all 9th to 12th grade courses (including those in progress) and the timeframe of each course (academic year and semester). "

On the really fantastic news front, though, in checking into this again, I noticed that they've finally removed the requirement for a GED from homeschoolers - well, they've added a fourth way for homeschoolers to prove graduation from high school, which is to have 27 or more college credits, which will not be a problem for her.  This is a school that was a huge stickler for a GED from homeschoolers (enough so that almost everyone I know who went there from my state just gave up and took it), so that is super-duper-fantastic news!!  I had been a bit worried about having to jump that hurdle when we got there. 

I think someone from this board had it out with them a while back, and said they'd admitted their requirements were stupid if a kid had a ton of college credits already, so if that motivated this change, thanks to whoever that was!!!!!!

If she earns enough credits before her senior year, such that she can be graduated, I don't think any college would complain about that.

• Like 1