Menu

Comment on my ninth grade choices??

Here is the plan for bright but not super motivated DS, who is entering ninth in Sept. I covet your comments:

BJU online physical science

MathUSee Algebra

VP Composition Live (not sure what level, he's done Attuneup.com Time Capsule and Grammar Cracker?)

VP Omnibus Secondary Live

BJU Eorks Cultures, parent/self taught

Go!!!

Edited by lactansdea

You've gotten a lot of views and no comments. I would guess the reason for that is you have chosen some programs that are not very popular here. That makes it hard to get feedback.

BJU Physical Science is solid, but many here consider Physical Science to be an 8th grade course.

MUS Algebra is the weakest Algebra program on the market that I know of. (We used MUS for years, this isn't from a hater.) Again, many kids do algebra in 8th, you're doing it in 9th with a very light Algebra.

I don't know the other 3 classes. I've always heard good things about VP, but I haven't used them. BJU is always a solid credit too. Will your composition class include literature? I would make sure there is some literature in a high school English credit.

I see 5 credits, again, very light. Most high schools are having kids take 6-7 credits/year with some even offering 8 credits/year. It takes 24 credits to graduate from high school in my state. 

What does your bright, not super motivated ds want to do? Does he know? Is college in his future? If so, I would consider switching to a stronger Algebra program and I would add an elective, possibly a foreign language?

• Like 2

I am not concerned about total credits or what some govt body says is required to "graduate." I don't want to overload the kid, because he responds to pressure by panicking.

I'm pretty sure BJU considers physical science a grade 9 so that is good enough for me, although I do appreciate that there are physical science courses for 8th.

He is university bound, but probably not for anything involving math. I could switch, but I would need some way to deliver the teaching - Ie: I can't teach Saxon.

The VP Omnibus is all literature and Shakespeare.

Does that help? And thanks so much for your answer.

Edited by lactansdea
  • Like 4

Does he want any extras like art or music?

I have a 9th grader next year and have been thinking about her curriculum a lot. I'm doing BJU earth and space science with my daughter right now and it is literally like a high school class. Very rigorous. I am going a different route with her next year.

Math u See algebra is an easier algebra course, but if your son likes it, that sounds great. Not sure about any of the VP courses because I have never used them.

What does your child think about the courses?

There is no requirement based upon credits for post secondary entrance, although a transcript and portfolio are submitted. Credits are relevant to a highschool diploma, and we won't be working toward that. (Credits are a total fiction; a child who can write the exam and pass on day one, has earned the credit without the required #of hours.) Rather, universities are interested in capability, which is demonstrated by a SAT and portfolio. Of course different schools have different pathways for homeschoolers, but I am not interested in recreating HS at home by requiring subjects that the govt thinks are important.

Edited by lactansdea

I'm not familiar with all of the programs, but I agree with Debbie that the schedule seems pretty light. 

If you want to keep everything you have as is, then I would add a fine arts elective. It's an expected course, it gives him a more standard number of credits, and it doesn't have to be academically taxing.  

• Like 2

I would add another credit (even though you say you aren't concerned about credits). Make it something simple - PE, watch and discuss some teaching company videos, automotive maintenance, health. It can be taught in a laid back way.

It looks like you have

science - I think BJU physical science is fine for 9th grade if that is where your student is

algebra - MUS is weak, but it is math

English composition

Literature credit (omnibus)

IS BJU cultures social science credit ?

At first I thought the Omnibus was a history credit, but I see you have it as literature. I know it is a chunk of work, but typically all the composition and literature are lumped into one English credit called whatever you want. You look like you have four credits spread over five classes (splitting the English credit into two credits).  If your son is really university bound, I'd consider  a foreign language, history, computer science credit.

Yes, BJU World Cultures is a "geography" credit.  

I like the idea of DIY PE.  I'd do a health and nutrition perhaps, and require some reading and documentaries.

I do plan to do loads of history in the next few years.  I just wanted to leave it for a year to give him a chance to grow as a student, so that he is able to really tackle it from a higher level. (In Canada, there is no history for 9th, rather we have geography in 9th and Canadian history in 10th. So I don't feel like there is any particular panic to have history this year.)

What would you suggest for computer science?  I have no idea about that, but it does seem useful/relevant.

The other thing I thought about was to DIY a worldview course, mainly by assigning books to read, i.e. the case for Faith  etc.

I agree and would add another course.  Something that he is interested in.  Here's our schedule for 9th next year. 

English 1- Comp and Lit

Algebra 1

Biology

Modern History

German 2

Band

This will give her 6 credits.  She wants to take a photography class, archery, and cross country.  These are still being debated, but if she does them, I'll probably give her a 1/2 credit in P.E. and another 1/2 for Fine Arts bringing her total to 7 credits for the year.  Not every credit needs to be academically demanding or stressful.  Two of these credits dd will think are fun and a reward for getting the 5 tough ones done, kwim? 

Edited by My3girls

There is no requirement based upon credits for post secondary entrance, although a transcript and portfolio are submitted. Credits are relevant to a highschool diploma, and we won't be working toward that. (Credits are a total fiction; a child who can write the exam and pass on day one, has earned the credit without the required #of hours.) Rather, universities are interested in capability, which is demonstrated by a SAT and portfolio. Of course different schools have different pathways for homeschoolers, but I am not interested in recreating HS at home by requiring subjects that the govt thinks are important.

Well, just make sure that this is true of the school he is interested in. I haven't yet seen one that doesn't have credit requirements of homeschoolers as well as other place schoolers. Credits are also relevant for college admission. If you can find a college that feels different, that you can afford and your child can get the scores to get into, that's great. Just make sure you check.

Are you sure you want our feedback, b/c your responses aren't showing that you are open.

I totally understand not wanting to overwhelm your son, but you do only have 4 credits--which won't get you close to what most colleges are looking for. Most colleges require foreign language, many want fine arts. It would be easy to add some kind of fine arts or PE without overloading him (and it may be an outlet).

• Like 1

Yeah, thanks for your comment.  I guess that is one reason why i don't stress about credits.  I mean, i think that youth group and church on sunday could constitute a theology credit.  His interest in survival skills could be.  In other words, we live an educational life, and I don't need to make everything discrete for it to count.

IF i were to add something, perhaps i'd add something like logic.  

But fine arts is out out out.  Unless i can count crafting at co-op, lol.

Yes, BJU World Cultures is a "geography" credit.  

I like the idea of DIY PE.  I'd do a health and nutrition perhaps, and require some reading and documentaries.

I do plan to do loads of history in the next few years.  I just wanted to leave it for a year to give him a chance to grow as a student, so that he is able to really tackle it from a higher level. (In Canada, there is no history for 9th, rather we have geography in 9th and Canadian history in 10th. So I don't feel like there is any particular panic to have history this year.)

What would you suggest for computer science?  I have no idea about that, but it does seem useful/relevant.

The other thing I thought about was to DIY a worldview course, mainly by assigning books to read, i.e. the case for Faith  etc.

Those are good ideas. Sonlight has a worldview class that you could look at for ideas. I know there are some guided studies also.

For computer science my son has done work on Kahn academy and code academy for free. We also liked Teen Coder material.

For PE, my son goes on a run every morning and then I add in any other exercise he does (swimming, a day skiing, boyscout hikes, basketball with dad). It is easy, non-stressful and it builds lifestyle fitness which is my goal.

Just FYI.....it's just not true that they want specific credits.  Here is just one example :http://welcome.uwo.ca/admissions/admission_requirements/canadian_secondary_school/home_school.html

Ah, I don't know that anyone realized you were posting from Canada! 

I don't know anything about the Canadian school system. In the states, people with non-standard transcripts can certainly get into college, but it may close some doors or just require additional explanation and documentation. 

• Like 3

A "typical", non-accelerated 9th grade in VA (and at the DoES A school) looks like this:

English 9

Algebra 1

Earth Space or Physical Science

World History

PE/Health

2 electives (sometimes, study hall would fill a slot)

you have:

2 English credits (one would take an elective slot)

1 math

1 science

1 social science.

5 credits.

I'd add in at least a PE/health. If there is an area of interest, something there as well. It doesn't have to be hefty, though.

It looks like Canada does things very differently than the US, as far as admissions requirements.  My suggestion to you would be to look up the admissions requirements of the likely universities/colleges your dc will attend and work backwards to figure out what you need to do for 9th grade.

In the US, a yearly schedule that has English, Math, Social Studies (history, geography, government, economics, or some other social science), Science (with labs), and a Foreign Language is pretty typical for each year of high school and won't really shut any doors to university options.

Overall, I think you need to challenge your student without overwhelming them. Keep in mind the path toward university requirements, but don't break your child trying to meet them.

As far as adding credits, there are the choices that are purely elective and might be on the easy side. There are also ones that are definitely more academic in nature (which I think you are trying to avoid at this point in time). Teach your child with the goal of stretching them and preparing them for the future.

Based on the information in the Western U application information, I'd start looking forward to building a portfolio that really highlights your ds's interests, courses, volunteer and work experiences, and aspirations in relation to his potential field of study.  Right now the courses you've listed give no hints as to his "passion." They are a great foundation to build on, though. I'd probably add in a second language, especially if he's going in the Arts direction. He may have to do a second language in an arts program even if he's not studying languages. It doesn't necessarily have to be French. 

FYI, I'm in Ontario as well. I'm very happy to see that WU looks positively towards homeschoolers. That's great news, as not all are. Some universities offer Head Start courses for high school students, which many homeschoolers take advantage of. Ottawa U does offer Head Start courses.

Just FYI.....it's just not true that they want specific credits.  Here is just one example :http://welcome.uwo.ca/admissions/admission_requirements/canadian_secondary_school/home_school.html

Some colleges do want to see a self-recorded homeschool transcript, though there may not necessarily be credits attached. Here's one example: Redeemer University College's homeschool application info: https://www.redeemer.ca/admissions/process-requirements/homeschooled-students/

Edited by wintermom