Menu

French for early elementary?

Wabi Sabi

My 8 year old would like to start French. I am by no means fluent, but I did take it for four years of high school and even though I've forgotten most, I'm confident that I can help her along with very beginning French. What books, programs, curricula, etc. are out there for this age? She's used Song School Latin with success, and would love to find something similar to it for French. 

I'm not personally a fan of DuoLingo or Mango and the Galore Park French looks a little too advanced for her whereas Little Pim is far too young. She's used Song School Latin with success, and would love to find something similar to it for French. What books, programs, curricula, etc. are out there for this age? 

Edited by Wabi Sabi
  • Like 1

Getting Started With French. $20. Awesome stuff.

Hmm. The cost is right and it looks simple enough that we could add it to our day without difficulty, but I wonder if it would appeal to her? She really likes the songs and workbook activities in Song School Latin, but maybe that wouldn't be so hard to add in on our own using YouTube videos and some free online printable? 

The boys and I are liking Ecoutez, Parlez. I also like the look of CAP's French program.

I like that they have video lessons for the CAP program, but I can't help but wonder if maybe she's a tiny bit young for it just yet? Maybe, maybe not. It is so new that I haven't been able to find many reviews of the program, but it's definitely something to put on my list to consider. 

• Like 1

I like that they have video lessons for the CAP program, but I can't help but wonder if maybe she's a tiny bit young for it just yet? Maybe, maybe not. It is so new that I haven't been able to find many reviews of the program, but it's definitely something to put on my list to consider. 

I second GSWF to begin. It is very incremental.

Re CAP French, unlike the CAP Spanish program, the video teacher for French actually seems to have a pretty decent accent. My concern with beginning CAP French is that I'm afraid that they won't publish subsequent levels quickly enough. Has anyone heard what they plan re the publication schedule?

If GSWF is anything like GSWSpanish and GSWLatin, I'd highly recommend it.  I have found that both of those have given us solid foundations in the grammar of the language.  Then you could supplement with fun stuff, videos, etc.

Nallenart is very good too.  L'Art de Lire would probably work for her age.

• Like 1

Can you explain what you don't like about DuoLingo?  My 6 and 9 year olds love Duolingo German.  

If you go with a make-it-yourself program, here is a great youtube channel for French children's songs with karaoke style subtitles.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq6jhYDQ2HBvEPIev8NDglw  "Ah les crocodiles" is my personal favorite...