Menu

Who are your favorite theist and atheist thinkers...

shinyhappypeople

Yeah, if your interests take you back to classical times, I'd second Nature of Things...

... and raise idnib by Rebecca Goldstein's Plato at the Googleplex: Why Philosophy Won't Go Away, which is immensely accessible and also hilarious but a very good serious synthesis of the implication of old ideas in the modern world.  Looking at you, albeto.

Goldstein transports the ancient Greek philosopher to the twenty-first-century headquarters of Google, where his probing voice engages three modern hosts in exploring what knowledge means in an age of computerized crowd sourcing. Further dialogues put Plato into conversation with an advice columnist fielding questions about love and sex, with a child psychologist arguing with an obsessive mother, with a television broadcaster trying to score political points, and with a neuroscientist certain he can resolve all intellectual questions with brain scans. 

:glare:

• Like 1

:lol:  what the heck is that? Scientism? I see all sorts of stuff on the hive. 

Also, what is a New Atheist? Atheism has been around for quite a long time. It's not new. The ideas written by modern day authors are not even new. New answers to questions due to advancement in knowledge, but the lack of believe in gods is not new. 

New Atheism is what you might call a school of thought, historically and ideologically related though not tightly connected.  It tends to come very strongly from a scientific materialist perspective.  Characteristically it is evangelical and populist.

Scientism is a type of extreme positivism, which says that science can investigate and know all things.  It's essentially pejorative, it doesn't mean acceptance of science or it's method, it's implied that its use and limits have been misunderstood and over-extended.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My favorites are all agnostics: Voltaire, Russell, Popper, Vonnegut.

Simone Weil was one of my favorite thinkers of faith.

I love Rumi for mysticism as well.

Dennett is amazing, props to a PP for mentioning him. 

A book that I read and really found helpful was Why I Became an Atheist by John W. Loftus. While it deals specifically with the Christian religion and Bible I think some of his points can be extrapolated and applied to a variety of theistic beliefs. I am not an intellectual or really deep thinker, so the more academic authors are really over my head. This book wasn't too hard.

Edited by ShariM