Menu

Q for Dr. Hive, DDS: what features are important in an electronic toothbrush?

Laurie4b

Ok, so I am committed to getting an electronic toothbrush, but I am overwhelmed by the choices. My natural bent is to choose the cheapest one. What do you use? What features does it have that you consider "must haves?" Anyone wish they had made a different choice? 

Thanks!

I have used a Sonicare for at least 5 years, and my kids started having a lot fewer cavities when I got some for them too (I got them adult versions which are not as gentle as the kid version but I think they were old enough for it). Both of our dentists are happy we are using Sonicate. The feature I like best is the "timer" thing that beeps every 30 seconds as a reminder to you to change the quadrant of your mouth that you are brushing. I think just brushing a full two minutes may make the biggest difference for my kids. I bought all of these on different Black Fridays when I could get excellent deals--I think somewhere between $25 and $35.

For my disabled dd, I use the "disposable" electric toothbrushes (Oral B I think) with a round head, the kid version. It's gentler than Sonicare, but it still makes a big difference over a manual toothbrush.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 1

We have had 3 Sonicares over like 15+ years and absolutely love them.  They make a big difference to me and my teeth start to feel scummy when I'm away from it.  I think the timer thing is called a quadpacer?  We accidentally bought our last one without that and I much prefer it with the 30 second timer. 

• Like 1