Menu

Ideas for Daddy School...

We are expecting a new baby in June. I would like to let my husband take over some schooling responsibilities this summer and fall. He works very long hours during the week and I don't want his weekends to be 'cracking the whip' on our normal curriculum. Other than readalouds, what are some ways husbands can help with school? Science projects, cooking, field trips, etc are all ideas I have but I'm looking for some specifics... He tends to need pretty clear instructions :)

One idea I had was for him to work through Science Chef with the kids on Saturday mornings. But getting them out of the house would be a bonus :)

• Like 1

1) Congrats on the upcoming baby.

2) You might want to see if your local parks and rec or county park system has a summer challenge.  Ours used to----it involved hiking on a number of trails, finding certain plants/animals/locations, and you got a patch or something at the end.  It could be a fun way to do a science/nature study if yours has one. If not, you could search for nature hunts.  Note: the goal was never to take anything OUT of the park.  You just found it and checked it off.

3) What are your plans for meals after the baby?  By 6 and 9, your husband could help your kids get involved in meal planning.  Reading/following recipes, making sure meals have certain components.....measuring/math

That's all I got for now.  We are in a similar situation come August, so I'll let you know if we come up with anything else :)

I love Daddy School!  My husband is currently doing the phonics lessons and some of our AO readings along with his own read alouds and catechism.  He did take our son fishing with the parks and rec last year right after our new baby was born.  Williams and Sonoma offers a free Little Chefs class on Saturdays.  They are neat classes.  Recent ones at our stores included waffle making, apple snacks, crepes, cooking using the Vitamix.  We also do the National Parks Junior Ranger programs.  Some of those can be completed without going to a park.  Junior Paleontologist, Junior Cave Scientist, etc. Wild and Free has a Wild Explorers program, but I've been reluctant to join because it is $12 a month or so plus badges.  DIY.com has LOTS of neat project ideas.  Good luck!

• Like 1

1) Congrats on the upcoming baby.

2) You might want to see if your local parks and rec or county park system has a summer challenge.  Ours used to----it involved hiking on a number of trails, finding certain plants/animals/locations, and you got a patch or something at the end.  It could be a fun way to do a science/nature study if yours has one. If not, you could search for nature hunts.  Note: the goal was never to take anything OUT of the park.  You just found it and checked it off.

3) What are your plans for meals after the baby?  By 6 and 9, your husband could help your kids get involved in meal planning.  Reading/following recipes, making sure meals have certain components.....measuring/math

That's all I got for now.  We are in a similar situation come August, so I'll let you know if we come up with anything else :)

Oh #3 is a GENIUS idea. We can cook summer meals and get the freezer stocked for fall!! Thank you!

I love Daddy School!  My husband is currently doing the phonics lessons and some of our AO readings along with his own read alouds and catechism.  He did take our son fishing with the parks and rec last year right after our new baby was born.  Williams and Sonoma offers a free Little Chefs class on Saturdays.  They are neat classes.  Recent ones at our stores included waffle making, apple snacks, crepes, cooking using the Vitamix.  We also do the National Parks Junior Ranger programs.  Some of those can be completed without going to a park.  Junior Paleontologist, Junior Cave Scientist, etc. Wild and Free has a Wild Explorers program, but I've been reluctant to join because it is $12 a month or so plus badges.  DIY.com has LOTS of neat project ideas.  Good luck!

Great ideas! We live in a small town so no Williams Sonoma. We do have Lowe's and Home Depot and they do those monthly build projects.

If you have the funds to invest in Knex (education version) or Lego Education, those are great ways for dad to play with, ahem, educate the kids.  

We have been impressed with the science and engineering concepts that Knex and Lego education introduce. 

Also, agree with the nature study: hiking, getting into the outdoors... good for mind, body and soul....

• Like 2

Depends on the dad I suppose?

I agree.  OP, what does your husband *want* to do with the kids? 

I would hesitate to be dismissive of your DH's ability/willingness to work with your curriculum, and limit him to "enrichment" right out of the gate.  Why not give everyone the chance to discover that DH cares about education too?

That said, if your husband has already explicitly said he does not want to take on that task, then I wouldn't call it school.  I'd call it "fun time with Dad."

Edited by Miss Mousie
  • Like 1

We have a lot of experience with dad homeschooling. My husband does read alouds when the kids are late preschoolers and continues until they start college. He does the occasional hands on science project in elementary school. He teaches all the math and science starting a Jr. High level.  He does mathematical logic/error analysis/statistics and problem solving as integrated subjects in high school.   

I never tell him what to read aloud, which projects to do or which curriculum to choose.  I'd be livid if someone else told me what curriculum, projects, teaching methods or approaches to use, so I have no place telling him any of those things.  We talked about our goals at length before we started homeschooling and along the way, and we're always able to talk about our concerns and goals as it relates to the other person teaching.  So each of us decides what we want to do with the kids and how and lets the other person know about it so they're not in the dark about their own kids.  Then we stay out of the other person's teaching unless we think there might be a problem.

But you seem to want him to be a substitute that picks up where you leave off.  That may or may not work for him.  If that's what he wants to do, then great! Do that. If it's not, listen to what he wants to do and if it's not crazy fully support and encourage him do it his way on his terms.

I'm also someone who uses the term "homeschooling" in reference to academics.  If it's enrichment you're looking for, I think Miss Mousie is right, it's just fun time with dad which is a very valuable thing most kids and dads could use more of.

My DH and I share the homeschooling, but I do intentionally plan some extra 'fun' projects for DH

Lego Education kits and Snap Circuits

Life of Fred and fun supplements (I anticipate giving him the Beast Academy days in the future)

Read Alouds

Art lessons

• Like 1

When our youngest was born my dh had paternaty leave and the theory was that he would do homeschooling with the 2 oldest. It turned out that it just wasn't his thing at all. So he ended up taking the 2 youngest for a drive, shopping, etc. while I stayed at home and did the schooling with the older dc. It wasn't what I pictured, but it worked out well for us all.

Edited by wintermom

When our youngest was born my dh had paternaty leave and the theory was that he would do homeschooling with the 2 oldest. It turned out that it just wasn't his thing at all. So he ended up taking the 2 youngest for a drive, shopping, etc. while I stayed at home and did the schooling with the older dc. It wasn't what I pictured, but it worked out well for us all.

This is us, too. I'm the one who is the planner/teacher type when it comes to curriculum. DH is SO good at physical activity/sports learning, adventures out and about, reading aloud and sharing stories, and other things. When he has time off/weekends, he goes out with the kids or we do family travel, or he goes outside with some while I school another, etc. I'd never do a lot of that without him. It works well and rounds out their education immensely.

I'd say, work with the natural strengths of your DH. It would be hard to come home from a full time job and jump into teaching something in an area that's not natural for you, I think, as opposed to an area that's a natural strength.

• Like 1

Guest KimHalterman

Depending on where you live, consider museum memberships.  We've had great luck with science museum memberships with the "ASTC Passport" option.  This lends itself to lots of day trips as well as discounts on programming at the local museum (ex. summer camp) and some members-only educational events.  Even a reluctant informal educator can start to feel at home in a museum that is visited often.

Other ideas from the informal education community:

* public library programming

* making/tinkering tasks (can be very unstructured)

* day trips (plan the trip (directions, budget, etc.), take the trip/learn the content, follow-up by sharing about the trip/scrapbooking/etc.)

To keep some structure, you could consider a well-written "workbook" type program for some subject area, especially as a short-term fix.  I would personally be cautious about someone who does not have a fair amount of understanding of/interest in the teaching of reading or math in doing early reading and math, but later-elementary reading and math, as well as science, history, etc. at any age, could be fair game more easily.