Menu

Would you eat this?

momee

I am usually in the "just eat it" camp but for whatever reason, I have internalized a "never store food in open aluminum cans" belief and I pitch open cans other people occasionally stash in the fridge without a second thought. I always transfer leftover canned food to a glass jar or Pyrex container.

• Like 3

Sure, we would eat it. DS looooves cold canned pumpkin.

The only thing I might feel odd about is if was stored in the can. I'm not sure where I picked up the idea that isn't a safe practice (didn't cans used to be lead or lead lined or something? I also still never buy dented cans, so somewhere I must have heard some serious can handling warnings. Doesn't mean they are still valid though).

I am usually in the "just eat it" camp but for whatever reason, I have internalized a "never store food in open aluminum cans" belief and I pitch open cans other people occasionally stash in the fridge without a second thought. I always transfer leftover canned food to a glass jar or Pyrex container.

Why? What's bad about opened cans that gets better when the content is transferred to another dish?

Why? What's bad about opened cans that gets better when the content is transferred to another dish?

Metallic flavor transfer. Not sealed in the fridge. I think it's more a quality vs. safety thing with today's cans. That said, I must have been told not to store food in cans about 1765 times as a kid. So I do what I was taught.

• Like 1