Menu

Has anyone started an X-Files thread yet?

Truscifi

I literally just finished watching the first episode, but I don't want to say anything if other people haven't seen it yet.

It won't matter if you don't see them all. It does help to know a little bit, they don't explain who every single person is, but even if you have never seen the x-files you could still watch the show. Maybe there might be some ?s, but they would be answered by context.

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 2

I'm desperately trying to get through all the seasons again. I was an avid fan as a teen, and I didn't want to watch the new episodes without doing re-runs. I'm almost to season 7, so I'm afraid I've missed the boat!

I watched all the old ones a couple of months ago so it would be fresh in my mind. So far I'm pretty happy with how it is going. The first one I thought was a little slow, but that was mostly from reintroducing everything.

• Like 1

I watched all the old ones a couple of months ago so it would be fresh in my mind. So far I'm pretty happy with how it is going. The first one I thought was a little slow, but that was mostly from reintroducing everything.

There were some pre-airing reviews of that first episode in the media, and they are saying that the first episode sucks but that it gets better.

It looks like the first three episodes were made available for reviewers to preview, and the second is stronger and the third rocks.

But, as a seriously dedicated fan, I can say that the x files was always sort of cheese and kind of sucked, lol.  Chris Carter had zero sense of continuity...in one episode he actually had Mulder say, "How should I know? I'm not a psychologist".....umm...pretty sure that was established in the pilot, lol.

But I do adore having my Scully back, that is for sure.  I have missed my girl

• Like 1

I didn't consistently watch the old episodes when they tried, so I've seen maybe half of them.

I watched the new Episode 1 last night and I have to say it was more intense than the old ones, I think. I was trying to figure out of it's just been updated with new technology and techniques and that makes it feel more real, or if the story itself is more intense. I really did get stressed out in a couple of scenes. Maybe I've changed, not the show.  :laugh:

That said, I really liked it and plan to watch all of them.

Edited by idnib

I would watch them all even if they sucked, lol.  As a dedicated fan, I have a high tolerance for xfiles suckage.  It comes with the territory, kwim?

But the second episode was actually a lot of fun and managed to surprise me. Lots of unnecessary stuff going on, but I still liked it.

I had forgotten how much fun it is to have a new xfiles to look forward to.  I'm gonna be sad when these 6 episodes are done. 

I'll try to watch the third episode tonight.

• Like 2

Oh how I've missed Mulder and Scully. It was so nice to see them together. I even liked Sunday's because it felt like seeing old friends in a familiar setting. I liked the second one better. 

I went back and started watching season 6 last night - they look so young - well I did too back then. 

Last week ds told me why he stayed up until 5 am (he's a night owl anyway, not unusual for him on the weekends). He was watching XFiles, made my little momma heart proud. 

• Like 1

I was a HUGE fan back when. I was not impressed Sunday night and decided not to watch the rest, but after reading this, decided to give the second episode a try. We watched it last night and it was much better.

:iagree:

Otoh, I could probably watch Mulder and Scully do their laundry and be perfectly happy, so I might be a bit biased. LOL

Georgia

• Like 3

I wasn't able to watch on Sunday or Monday - glad to know I can stream it and catch up!

Will it matter if I skip the first one and just go straight to episode 2?

your going to want to watch it. It introduces the current ongoing mytharc, setting the stage for what is to come.  The second is more similar to a "monster of the week" episode of old, but has overtones from the first episode, but without much or any direct discussion.

And it's not horrible, at least I didn't think so, it's just a bit too much explanation for new watchers.  If you are going to recognize old faces etc then you will feel a bit impatient during those times.  And, DD is always wooden and flat, he just is. About 10 mins into the episode I was all, "Oh yeah, he's not actually a very good actor, is he?"  I had forgotten, lol. But, if you could watch him in the older episodes I don't see why it would be a problem now. He is exactly the same.

I watched it, I enjoyed some of it, at one point I yelled at Scully for making what I consider an uncharacteristic choice, but again, never underestimate Chris Carter's ability to make his characters do things that make NO sense. And when it was over, I was looking forward to the next one.

your going to want to watch it. It introduces the current ongoing mytharc, setting the stage for what is to come.  The second is more similar to a "monster of the week" episode of old, but has overtones from the first episode, but without much or any direct discussion.

And it's not horrible, at least I didn't think so, it's just a bit too much explanation for new watchers.  If you are going to recognize old faces etc then you will feel a bit impatient during those times.  And, DD is always wooden and flat, he just is. About 10 mins into the episode I was all, "Oh yeah, he's not actually a very good actor, is he?"  I had forgotten, lol. But, if you could watch him in the older episodes I don't see why it would be a problem now. He is exactly the same.

I watched it, I enjoyed some of it, at one point I yelled at Scully for making what I consider an uncharacteristic choice, but again, never underestimate Chris Carter's ability to make his characters do things that make NO sense. And when it was over, I was looking forward to the next one.

Which part? There was one part where I was like, no way, Scully wouldn't do that...but Scully ten years later might. It seems it has been a hard ten years on both of them.

• Like 1

I wasn't able to watch on Sunday or Monday - glad to know I can stream it and catch up!

Will it matter if I skip the first one and just go straight to episode 2?

Why would you want to do that? There are only six episodes, and it's not a consensus that the first episode sucked. I don't even know what people are complaining about. Sure, there were a few scenes with a lot of explanation, but it's not like that was the entire episode. Plus I love Joel McHale!

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 1

Which part? There was one part where I was like, no way, Scully wouldn't do that...but Scully ten years later might. It seems it has been a hard ten years on both of them.

When that skank-ass radio dude was all "I wanted to see you again" and next we see her drinking champagne with him in his overcompensating limo.

No..just no.  Scully sees through his bullshit a mile away, knows he is 90% full of it, and most importantly, made it clear she doesn't respect him, she had her fair share of eye rolling when he spoke...and she is driving around on a date with him? Say whaaaat? 

• Like 4

When that skank-ass radio dude was all "I wanted to see you again" and next we see her drinking champagne with him in his overcompensating limo.

No..just no. Scully sees through his bullshit a mile away, knows he is 90% full of it, and most importantly, made it clear she doesn't respect him, she had her fair share of eye rolling when he spoke...and she is driving around on a date with him? Say whaaaat?

Because Joel McHale!

No..just no.  Scully sees through his bullshit a mile away, knows he is 90% full of it, and most importantly, made it clear she doesn't respect him, she had her fair share of eye rolling when he spoke...and she is driving around on a date with him? Say whaaaat? 

Yeah, that was the part I objected to, but then after I thought about it I was like...maybe older, wiser, tireder (yeah, I know, not a word) Scully is willing to go on a date with someone to see if she can get any info from him. It is obvious when Mulder calls her while they are in the car that she knows radio guy is full of it, so that is all I can come up with to explain it.

• Like 1