Menu

Looking for Helpful Books on Vision Difficulties including Dyslexia

Guest AllBoy&Lovin'It

Guest AllBoy&Lovin'It

My 7yr son has vision issues, not severe, but definitely enough that it has an impact on his abilities to write and read.

We have taken him to a VT and was diagnosed not specifically with dyslexia but along those lines; insufficient convergence, suppression of binocularity, and periphereal difficulties.

I am looking for several books that would be useful in helping me to better understand vision issues, best teaching practices, and a range of practical therapies.

We have not ruled out therapy, but after reviewing the information with a close friend who happens to hs, and is an optometrist, he recommended getting a Wii (I know, but I must say it is making a difference in the periphereal area, which is what we hoped for) and doing some really physical cross brain activities, along with a few vision exercises. But I would like to read more.

Any books you would recommend or would say to steer clear of would be helpful!

Thanks

Kim S:bigear:

Washington

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this post. Do you want books on how to do VT at home? Or books on how to teach a child to read who has untreated VT issues? There is a book for young kids on VT at home. I can't remember what it is, though. Someone else here might know. But it does exist!

I have not seen anything on how to teach a child with untreated vision issues.

"How To Teach Your Child To Read and Spell Successfully" by Dr. Sheldon Rappaport.

http://www.amazon.com/teach-your-child-spell-successfully/dp/B0006PECQM

This book has some activities in it to develop visual functions that you can do at home. I did not do the visual exercises.

There are also auditory memory and auditory seqencing games to help develop those skills in this book.

It also has a technique called Three Step Reading that I used with two of my children that was very effective in greatly improving reading fluency for both of them.

This book contains a wealth of information.

The copyright of this book is 1993 by Effective Educational Systems, Inc.

Here are some books that I have found helpful:

The Mislabeled Child (has some things about visual problems as well as dyslexia)

Overcoming Dyslexia (is about dyslexia specifically)

If your child is having visual difficulties that interfere with the work of childhood (play, school, etc) then if at all possible I would try to get him into vision therapy. It was life changing for both of my boys.

I have never heard that dyslexia is vision-related.

Hi,

Well, I'm convinced that a great many kids who are considered dyslexic have vision problems. I work primarily with such kids in a private reading instruction practice and vision therapy does wonders for many of them.

Does it turn them all into instant readers? No, though it does work that way for some of them, as indicated by many of the vision therapy posts on this board. The ones who still struggle to read usually need a better understanding of phonics, and sometimes also still make a lot of what are called phonological errors.

In the case of those who need phonics instruction, which I provide, what I find after vision therapy are kids who are finally able to absorb the phonics instruction with relative ease. Often, before vision therapy, they just don't seem to "get it."

In the case of those with phonological problems, which is characterized by often having difficulty getting the correct sounds into a word and in the right order, or difficulty getting an extraneous sound out of a word after they've put it in (usually by jumping to a guess,) we work on developing their ability to manipulate sounds in words. This is an auditory process, not involving print.

The point is that Vision Therapy sometimes isn't enough, but in my experience, a lot of dyslexics need it before the phonics instruction pays off. Most literature on dyslexia, however, tends to focus on the phonics and phonological issues, ignoring the vision issues. That is a huge oversight, in my opinion, based on working with a couple of hundred kids, over half of whom could be considered dyslexic.

There's a lot more on my website, particularly under the sections titled The Vision Piece (of the Dyslexia Puzzle) and The Auditory Piece (of the Dyslexia Puzzle)

By the way, it's really great to see so many posters who've had good experiences with vision therapy. This is what parents need to hear, because most of the regular eye care professionals are not going to mention vision therapy, or they are going to actively lobby against doing it. In doing so, I firmly believe that they are doing many children a disservice, but that's another issue. It's expensive, and it can be a real drag getting through it, but it's well worth it in most cases.

Rod Everson

OnTrack Reading

La Crosse, Wisconsin

My 7yr son has vision issues' date=' not severe, but definitely enough that it has an impact on his abilities to write and read.

We have taken him to a VT and was diagnosed not specifically with dyslexia but along those lines; insufficient convergence, suppression of binocularity, and periphereal difficulties.

We have not ruled out therapy, but after reviewing the information with a close friend who happens to hs, and is an optometrist, he recommended getting a Wii (I know, but I must say it is making a difference in the periphereal area, which is what we hoped for) and doing some really physical cross brain activities, along with a few vision exercises.

[/quote']

Hi Kim,

There are a couple of possibilities here: First, your optometrist friend could be well-trained in vision therapy techniques and could just be saving you a bundle by reviewing the diagnoses and suggesting the appropriate exercises to address each of the issues. Maybe this is the case. You don't really say.

Second, your optometrist friend might be one of the majority of optometrists who tend not to ever refer a child on to a vision therapy department. You need to determine which situation you're facing so that you get your child's vision needs addressed.

This page on my website goes over this in more detail in an effort to explain to parents why they keep getting conflicting advice from different eye-care professionals: The Vision Piece-Why Such a Secret?

Rod Everson

OnTrack Reading

I agree with the other posts, but have a couple additional ideas.

You could try to do as much to improve/use vestibular input (movement) as possible. Try to find fun activities that require your dd to move her head out of the upright midline position - hanging upside-down, side-lying, etc., while moving if possible. While true for all kids, it's especially important to include activities that provide large muscle activity or deep pressure input along with or right after movement for kids with visual issues...these help the brain integrate the movement input. Balametrics and Bal-A-Vis-X are two programs that also use a lot of movement and visual processing, but I haven't used either of them yet, so can't recommend them personally.

Perhaps if you can't afford vision therapy, the DO who diagnosed her would be willing to assist you to set up a home program and monitor her progress, or at least let you know what activities would be contraindicated. For example, my son with convergence insufficiency stands on a specific kind of balance board (has a 3" peg in center). We patch one eye at a time, and he bounces and catches a tennis ball - but it matters WHERE he bounces it. The wrong place will exacerbate his visual issues.

You may also appreciate Kenneth Lane's book, "Developing Ocular Motor and Visual Perceptual Skills" available on Amazon. It provides background information and a large variety of exercises. You can also check out www.visionhelp.com for some information and current research.

NCW

Vision Therapy treats vision issues.

Explicit intensive, systematic phonics instruction remediates dyslexia.

Some kids will have both issues. Many will just have one issue.

If there's a hint of reading difficulties, do get a full psychoeducational battery done as soon as you can. If there is a dyslexia component or other ld issue, earlier rather than later is the time to find out. Esp with dyslexia - early intensive remediation can head off a massive bunch of problems.

_Overcoming Dyslexia_ by Shaywitz is a compilation of all of the currently available literature.

Wishing you all the best,

Katherine

This sounds very interesting. My dd has dyseidetic dyslexia (the visual type). She finished vision therapy 3.5 years ago. She is right-handed, but left-eye dominant. When she had eye suppression, the right eye was the one that cut out. She is reading at grade level now, but she still struggles. She still skips words and loses her place sometimes.

I just might try this out. It is expensive, but the website says that you can return within 30 days and only be out the shipping cost both ways. The possibility of burning $40 doesn't scare me at all. Burning $200-300 would be a different matter, but $40 isn't a big deal.

"_Overcoming Dyslexia_ by Shaywitz is a compilation of all of the currently available literature."

I am going to respectfully disagree with this comment. I have read at least six, probably more, books re: dyslexia, including this one. Shaywitz is extremely good, and has done great research. I am grateful for her information. However, like many researchers, she sees dyslexia through her lens and defines it very narrowly - more narrowly as a purely auditory problem than any other author I've read.

We have complex brains, and there are strong neurological links between the vestibular and visual systems. The vestibular and auditory receptors are right next to each other anatomically, and auditory input can activate the vestibular receptors (due to the movement of the sound wave). A glitch in any or all of these systems can be related to reading or learning issues, and still be called dyslexia.

What's even more fascinating to me currently is a study of retained primitive reflexes and their influence on these systems....but that's another topic entirely. However, it's interesting to learn, for example, a retained Moro reflex can result in both visual-perceptual and auditory discrimination difficulties (among other things).

Anyway, thankfully there are so many researchers out there all doing their part to help us learn about our amazing brains and bodies.

NCW

What's even more fascinating to me currently is a study of retained primitive reflexes and their influence on these systems....but that's another topic entirely. However, it's interesting to learn, for example, a retained Moro reflex can result in both visual-perceptual and auditory discrimination difficulties (among other things).

I find the reflex issue interesting as well. One thing I brought up with our neuropsych was that when my 9yo ds was an infant, he did not consistently grasp with his left hand. His right, always. His left, it always took a while to stimulate him enough to get him to grasp. It was clearly "lopsided", how each side of his body responded. And now, as a 9yo, he does run slightly "tilted". It's something dh and I have always noticed and commented about. Almost like he's an old man loping along.

Another thing I notice about my ds, and I did not bring this up because I thought maybe I was crazy... but when he sleeps, he still has a lot of what I would class as infantile behavior. You know how babies curl up their arms and arch their backs and stretch, and make a certain kind of "sigh-y" noise? None of my other children do that now, as they've grown, except 9yo ds.

It's very interesting. My hat is off to all you ladies that can keep up with all this research. I find my brain becomes fried and frazzled a lot faster than it used to when I was younger.

Here's how to get the glasses it talks about. We haven't done it yet, $$$.

http://www.readfluent.com/?trigger=aboutstudy

This is very intriguing (sp?)! I have posted previously about my dd's problems with reading and have been following many posts related to such, but this reminded me of something my optomitrist said last year. He found that dd had such a slight farsightedness that glasses wouldn't improve her sight enough to be noticeable to her and she probably would resist wearing them, but that if we did choose to get the glasses to get them with the prismed lenses. He mentioned that the place where her eyes focused the best seemed to be uncomfortable for her and that the prismed lenses would help alleviate that discomfort. At the time we didn't have the funds, he didn't seem to think they were necessary, and I had never heard of prismed lenses (I've been wearing glasses since I was 12) so we didn't get the glasses. Maybe this year we should make sure we have the funds and see if they do make a difference since she is still struggling. Definately food for thought!

He mentioned that the place where her eyes focused the best seemed to be uncomfortable for her and that the prism lenses would help alleviate that discomfort.

First of all, the website about the prism glasses was very interesting. While not a controlled research experiment, it sure seems like something fairly dramatic was going on in the LD classes of that school. And I'm inclined to believe that it was real improvement for the following reasons:

1) Many of you probably know that I consider dyslexia to be heavily characterized by vision problems, particularly problems with visual efficiency skills and that I completely disagree with people like Shaywitz, who puts almost no weight on the vision side.

2) Of the visual efficiency skills, I believe that it is quite likely that we will find that an inability to focus both eyes at a near point consistently, and sustain the effort for more than a few minutes, is the main one causing reading problems. Kids who can't focus both eyes on a single point for more than a short time go through all sorts of confusion, ranging from seeing double, getting headaches, seeing blurred print, print moving, print shifting, print disappearing, etc., due to the brain's attempts to get things sorted out.

3) Glasses with prisms will refocus the print to a spot where the child can see more comfortably (see the comment by the optometrist above) and it's quite logical that if I'm correct in assessing one of the main issues facing dyslexics that the glasses would make a difference. However, I'm very surprised that they made such a huge difference (apparently.)

4) The main problem with the glasses that I would question would be that they are an accommodation, rather than a fix. Vision therapy is a fix, to the extent that it works as intended, in that the child learns to focus appropriately by learning to control his eye muscles more effectively. Now to the extent that VT is hard to accomplish (for several reasons ranging from the child's lack of cooperation to the amount of money required) the glasses (if they really do work) would seem to be a reasonable thing to try.

5) The other problem (and it might be a serious one in some cases) is that the glasses might cause the wearer to relax the visual system even more leading to an aggravation of the original problem. Sort of like giving someone weak an assist every time they try to move anything...they just continue to get weaker. Thus, if I were a parent I would get the developmental optometrist involved first, try vision therapy if it is prescribed, and use the glasses as a fall back. Another option, of course, would be to first try the glasses to see if they work, then with that evidence in hand, figure that there is something visual going on and take the trip to the developmental optometrist. It's all a question of resources.

Incidentally, I do believe a lot of dyslexics also struggle with auditory processing issues and with phonics instruction. I just think most of them also have undiagnosed and untreated vision issues that also need addressing, and that the vision needs should be addressed first. If the kids at that school really did as well as they claim, it would support my position, since they did address their vision issues and gains supposedly were significant. (And yes, for the skeptical, maybe they also introduced a fantastic auditory/phonics curriculum at the same time...unlikely, but possible.)

And finally, regarding all the discussion about other issues such as diet and exercise and primitive reflex development, I think dyslexia is a genetic issue, that it is far more complex than we realize, and that it is simplistic to assume that it is all in the auditory realm. For instance, while I do feel that vision therapy is a permanent fix for many dyslexics, in some cases it's not, and then there is the larger question of what caused the vision problems in the first place. This is where I think these other issues come into play. Why doesn't the visual system develop on schedule with dyslexics? Why do we tend to see other examples of delayed development in these kids as well? Is there something we could do earlier in a child's life that would get things back on track in a developmental sense? I suspect so, but lack answers that I have any confidence in.

Rod Everson

OnTrack Reading

Rod and everyone interested in the prisms,

I've been doing research about VT and dyslexia for my son's benefit. We've seen an OD, a developmental OD, and an ophthalmologist who have all given us different advice (not a surprise). I also called another OD, to inquire about her VT services and we discussed all the options that OD's typically provide for my son's diagnosis (convergence excess among other things). None of the practitioners my son saw recommended prisms. I asked this other OD about it and she said that many don't like to prescribe them, that they aren't anything more than a crutch. She explained to me that my son would most likely be able to see the print and read better immediately with them. But, she warned, they don't correct anything and actually make the condition worse. She told me that in our case (son has other severe physical problems) it might be a consideration, that his vision deficiency can be corrected at any time, and that if he simply cannot tolerate VT, it might be the thing to get him reading comfortably. She stressed, though, that it would make his condition worse.

I agree with Rod about this. I would definitely consider the prisms if it becomes necessary, but with the understanding that my son's condition will most likely get worse. And that, if he ends up in VT later on he'll have more work to do to correct his vision difficulties. Doing VT would go on for longer and this is certainly a financial consideration as well.

Nancy

4) The main problem with the glasses that I would question would be that they are an accommodation, rather than a fix. Vision therapy is a fix, to the extent that it works as intended, in that the child learns to focus appropriately by learning to control his eye muscles more effectively. Now to the extent that VT is hard to accomplish (for several reasons ranging from the child's lack of cooperation to the amount of money required) the glasses (if they really do work) would seem to be a reasonable thing to try.

5) The other problem (and it might be a serious one in some cases) is that the glasses might cause the wearer to relax the visual system even more leading to an aggravation of the original problem. Sort of like giving someone weak an assist every time they try to move anything...they just continue to get weaker. Thus, if I were a parent I would get the developmental optometrist involved first, try vision therapy if it is prescribed, and use the glasses as a fall back. Another option, of course, would be to first try the glasses to see if they work, then with that evidence in hand, figure that there is something visual going on and take the trip to the developmental optometrist. It's all a question of resources.

Is it purely genetic? I'm only taking a guess that it is, but I wanted to share the challenges my two boys have faced.

My 9 year old is definitely struggling with reading and I suspect he has dyslexia and we already have the convergence excess diagnosis from three sources. He's received strong phonics instruction from me, yet cannot seem to make the connections. I'm still trying to figure that out. His spelling is atrocious and confuses b's and d's. Physically, he suffers terrible migraines for which he sees a neurologist. She has documented, with numerous EEG's, that he has an abnormality in his occipital lobe (can't recall exactly right now). He was also diagnosed, at 20 months, with congenital heart defects (primum atrial septal defect, cleft mitral valve, and suffers chronic, severe mitral regurgitation). He also had two minor surgeries to correct urological issues.

My 11 year old had eye surgery (twice) for Brown's syndrome (the eye muscle on one eye would not allow the eyeball to look up, causing his other eye to compensate by turning in). I saw similar issues, in his early reading, that I do with my 9 yr old, but not nearly as severe and he has somehow managed to become a very good reader. I had no suspicions, back then, that he had any learning disability. He struggles with spelling and will still sometimes mix up his b's and d's (even in cursive!). At 8 years of age (immediately following one eye surgery) he was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect, similar to my other son, but technically very different (sinus venosus atrial septal defect and unroofed pulmonary veins).

My youngest, a daughter, has had no major health concerns (and yes, we've ruled out any heart defects!). It has left my husband, our team of pediatric doctors and specialists, and me scratching our heads and wondering if there is some genetic link. Two boys each with a congenital heart defect, each with eye/vision problems, and possibly dyslexia. BTW, my husband and I are now convinced that he (my husband) is an undiagnosed dyslexic. Hmmmm...

Nancy

And finally, regarding all the discussion about other issues such as diet and exercise and primitive reflex development, I think dyslexia is a genetic issue, that it is far more complex than we realize, and that it is simplistic to assume that it is all in the auditory realm. For instance, while I do feel that vision therapy is a permanent fix for many dyslexics, in some cases it's not, and then there is the larger question of what caused the vision problems in the first place. This is where I think these other issues come into play. Why doesn't the visual system develop on schedule with dyslexics? Why do we tend to see other examples of delayed development in these kids as well? Is there something we could do earlier in a child's life that would get things back on track in a developmental sense? I suspect so, but lack answers that I have any confidence in.
Edited by Nancy in NH

• 1 month later...
Is it purely genetic? I'm only taking a guess that it is, but I wanted to share the challenges my two boys have faced.

My 9 year old is definitely struggling with reading and I suspect he has dyslexia and we already have the convergence excess diagnosis from three sources. He's received strong phonics instruction from me, yet cannot seem to make the connections. I'm still trying to figure that out. His spelling is atrocious and confuses b's and d's. Physically, he suffers terrible migraines for which he sees a neurologist. She has documented, with numerous EEG's, that he has an abnormality in his occipital lobe (can't recall exactly right now). He was also diagnosed, at 20 months, with congenital heart defects (primum atrial septal defect, cleft mitral valve, and suffers chronic, severe mitral regurgitation). He also had two minor surgeries to correct urological issues.

Hi Nancy,

First, consider the possibility that you have two genetic issues here, one affecting heart and organ functioning and the other causing the "dyslexia."

I tell parents that vision issues run in families, i.e., are genetic in origin, but in reality all of the various symptoms of dyslexia run in families, but to differing degrees. That is, some kids will experience delayed speech while others won't; some will skip the crawling phase while others won't, some will have articulation problems while others won't, etc. It seems to be the vision issues that hang on the longest and ultimately make it difficult to teach a child to read, though as I've mentioned, other things sometimes appear to be getting in the way as well.

Looking at your first son, convergence excess could be causing his migraine problems (if they occur primarily when he's doing nearpoint work like reading.) Similarly, brain scans show that kids who don't read like most kids do develop different structures in their brains. They're wired differently. However, whether that would affect the occipital area, I have no idea. It is a mistake, however, to assume that kids who have different brain structure are going to naturally read differently. The brain is highly plastic in many respects and the way a child learns to read, or is forced to learn to read due to a vision problem, will cause the brain structures to develop differently than in "normal" readers.

My 11 year old had eye surgery (twice) for Brown's syndrome (the eye muscle on one eye would not allow the eyeball to look up, causing his other eye to compensate by turning in). I saw similar issues, in his early reading, that I do with my 9 yr old, but not nearly as severe and he has somehow managed to become a very good reader. I had no suspicions, back then, that he had any learning disability. He struggles with spelling and will still sometimes mix up his b's and d's (even in cursive!). At 8 years of age (immediately following one eye surgery) he was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect, similar to my other son, but technically very different (sinus venosus atrial septal defect and unroofed pulmonary veins).
Obviously, the vision defect affected your son. Whether vision therapy would have made a difference instead of the surgery, I don't know, but in the case of a turned-in or turned-out eye, that is sometimes the case. The reason he reads well might very well be that he's only using one eye to read following the surgery. If your first son goes through vision therapy, this would be fairly easy to check out, I think. It's not a big deal, as a lot of dyslexics end up reading with only one eye without even realizing they're doing it. It's the intervening period when they're totally confused visually using both eyes that causes the problems.

If he struggles with spelling, consider a good phonics course. Kids using my workbook (when the instructions are followed closely) usually improve their spelling quite a bit, but I don't really represent myself as a spelling instructor. It's just that when you learn the phonics, you start thinking about how sounds are spelled in particular words and start focusing on the unusual elements.

My youngest, a daughter, has had no major health concerns (and yes, we've ruled out any heart defects!). It has left my husband, our team of pediatric doctors and specialists, and me scratching our heads and wondering if there is some genetic link. Two boys each with a congenital heart defect, each with eye/vision problems, and possibly dyslexia. BTW, my husband and I are now convinced that he (my husband) is an undiagnosed dyslexic. Hmmmm...

Nancy

I have no idea on the heart issue, but I think they will eventually find that dylexia is a 50/50 gene affecting both males and females equally. In other words, about half the kids will struggle with reading, spread across both sexes.

Rod Everson

OnTrack Reading

a computer based VT program, which he is doing at home, under the supervision of a developmental optometrist. I forget the exact cost - roughly $450, including the program itself and the follow up appointments, and while not inexpensive, we are hoping it will be a cost effective altertantive to traditional VT.

Also, FWIW, the Optometrist prescribed prism glasses, which ds will wear in a transitional way, until the VT issues are addressed, at which point he should theoretically no longer need them.

I am aware of at least one other child who wore prism glasses initially, and no longer needs them after completing VT, so it seems that opinions about this vary considerably, as in so many other things ; )

That being said, I have no personal experience with them at this point, as ds9's glasses won't be ready until next week :001_smile:

Also, FWIW, the Optometrist prescribed prism glasses, which ds will wear in a transitional way, until the VT issues are addressed, at which point he should theoretically no longer need them.

I am aware of at least one other child who wore prism glasses initially, and no longer needs them after completing VT, so it seems that opinions about this vary considerably, as in so many other things

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by the last comment, but I suspect that you're reflecting a concern about the statements that glasses could make the situation worse over time. If that's the case, you can relax. In this case the glasses are being used (as you said) in a transitional way so that your son can focus on a point with both eyes immediately without having to wait for the VT exercises to be completed. If the computer VT works, he should eventually be able to do so without the glasses, as you also said.

Used in this manner, the glasses should not have a negative long-term impact. It's when they're used as a long-term fix that the risk of further weakening the visual system would arise.

Again, I don't know exactly how you meant your comment, but if that was it, you shouldn't be concerned. I would be more concerned with whether the computer VT will be sufficient. Incidentally, to my knowledge glasses are hardly ever prescribed in a transitional manner during the in-office VT sessions that I'm familiar with. Again, this doesn't mean they'll do any damage, unless your son doesn't do the computer VT (or it doesn't do the job) and he ends up relying on the glasses instead. If that were to happen then I would become concerned about long-term effects on his visual system.

Rod

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by the last comment, but I suspect that you're reflecting a concern about the statements that glasses could make the situation worse over time.

Rod

This was my concern, and I appreciate the reassurance you offered in your post.

In the meantime, the computer based VT is a relatively cost effective way for us to provide a trial of VT for ds 9. Fortunately, we are working with a respected Optometrist in our area; we were referred to him by a professional whom I also respect.

If the computer based VT program proves to be ineffective, or insufficient, we can always pursue it further. Here is a link to the program we are using. If you have any experience with it, I welcome your comments.

Edited by ELaurie