Menu

I need a writing program...

My son is a VERY reluctant writer. I need a one-semester writing program, if such a thing exists, or something that can be converted/condensed to one semester.  Ideally it would have daily assignments that are clearly laid out.  He will be going to public school next year and I would really like to focus on writing in the time we have remaining - it's the one thing that needs work.

Please say you have ideas or recommendations for me!

Take a look at EPS Writing Skills.  These are workbook style so everything is laid out, open and go, and has 4 different skill levels so you can choose the one you think would be best.  I wouldn't hesitate to use an earlier one if needed. I credit these with helping to get my very reluctant writers actually writing.  They needed everything broken down into tiny bites to start with.

This program is not exciting so they won't get your student to love writing but it can get the job done!

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 2

We use Writing Aids and love it. It comes with a book and cd. The book has a page or two explanation for all sorts of grammar and writing terms. The cd has grading rubrics and graphic organizers (pre-writing activities to organize ideas.) You would need to come up with writing topics. It is cheap...$25, I think.

You might want to look at WriteGuide.  You can sign up any time for as long as you want.  It's one on one, and the student interacts with the writing tutor daily.  If you want to set it up that way, you can have them give all assignments  (I used them more for just grading and assessing assignments I gave, but they will do it however you want).  You can tell them ahead of time what kind of writing you want your kid to work on, and they will assign you a tutor based on that.  Then you can also talk to the tutor to tell them what kinds of writing you want your kid to work on.  It's very affordable, especially for one on one.  If you sign up for at least 3 months, it's $70/month.  It's a bit more per month if you sign up for less time, but it's completely up to you how long or how short you want to sign up for. 

I've used them a number of times and been very happy.  Just be very clear what you want from them for the best success.  Also, the way it works is that there's one communication between teacher/student per day.  If the teacher has responded and your student blows off a day, you've lost that day.  It's the student's responsibility to respond daily; that resets the system so it's the teacher's turn.  I found it helpful to have my student know they had to respond by the end of the day.

If you have more than one kid, you can also share a tutor for no extra cost.  I had two kids sharing, they each responded every other day then.

If you contact them, you can have a tutor up and running in less than a week, usually just a couple of days.

Edited by Matryoshka