Menu

Scout moms and/or campers...can you recommend a camp cot?

6packofun

In 25 years of scouting I have never seen the recommendations for scouts to have a cot.... is there some reason they are needed? (Snakes or something??) We use a foam camping pad generally. Air pads are not a great idea and are dangerous in Canadian winter camping.... Thermorest are excelent pads... they self-inflate a bit, but also have foam.... do not ever blow into them to inflate a bit more as the water vapour gets in (especially Canadian winter camping, as that water vapour will freeze makinv you sleep on an ice block....) Can you contact the leader for more information on why it is needed?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Scout mom here. Cots are not appropriate for winter camping, and not really appropriate for Scouts either. Isn't the point of Scouts to teach best practices in camping and real survival skills? 

Cots are much colder due to the air circulation. Plus they are really inconvenient on real camping trips because of their weight and unwieldiness.

Rolled foam mats are cheap and easy. If you want extra insulation, buy two. You can get them at a sports supply store or camping supply store. 

If you want something higher quality, go to REI or Dick's. REI staff are generally well trained and quite knowledgeable.

• Like 4

Cots were nearly mandatory in my son's last troop.  They're also the ones who felt they needed an extra large trailer and 2 trucks to accommodate the "stuff" for a weekend trip of 15 boys. :glare:

That said, the cot that we ended up with was this one: Rio Adventure Folding Cot.  It's one piece, it folds up small, and though it's heavy, he can, and has, strapped it to his pack.  It has held up well and fits within his footlocker for storage like the rest of his gear.

Even with concrete or wood floors I would still go with a pad. If it's a cabin that is not heated well, a cot will be doubly cold. Plus it's expensive for just one trip. 

When I sleep on a cot, the only way I can survive is if I have an extra sleeping bag *under* the sleeping bag I am inside of. 

Personally, we went with self-inflating ones. It has been years since we bought one, so again I would recommend going to REI and talking to their experts. I have found them unbelievably helpful in the past.

We also have a few foam pads. There is not much variance in them. This is the type:

http://www.amazon.com/Therm---Rest-RidgeRest-Mattress-Charcoal/dp/B00HANOZRY/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1453137357&sr=8-14&keywords=foam+camping+mattress