Menu

Need Remediation program for math and reading for teen

Ottakee

I am going to be tutoring a 15 year old foster to adopt teen that is moving in with a close friend of mine's family tomorrow.  We are guessing he is at a 2nd to 4th grade level in each but hope to test him to see better (see my other post).  State need to "find" his IEP and last test results :-(

I plan to try Apples and Pears Spelling as that is easy for anyone in their family to use as it is scripted and they could do it on the nights I don't tutor.  I love Dancing Bears and those programs for reading so might try those of the I See Sam books which I know are younger seeming but if they work he will be happy and he is very very "young" for 15.

My biggest issue is math.  What are some good programs that might help remediate him in math and get him moving along as fast as he can.

We are guessing an IQ in the borderline range (70s to maybe low 80s) but she wants to give him every chance in the world she can.

What should we look at?  They are fine with Christian based materials but they don't have to be either.

Well, I guess it would depend on whether he needs to solidify real basics, like subitization skills first.  He may need to be stepped way, way back to fill in some gaps first.

There are a lot of good math programs out there.  Do they need something that is not terribly teacher intensive for daily work?  You might consider CLE.  Lots of review to help things stick, it allows the use of a reference chart while facts are worked on, it does cover some consumer math, and is not terribly teacher intensive.  You don't even have to buy the entire program.  Just buy a couple of light units to see how it goes, and the reference chart could be used with any program.  It is easy to accelerate it or slow it down as needed.  I told the kids that the number on the front represented levels, not grade levels and had them take the placement tests to see where in the 9 levels they might place (I considered Level 9 as Algebra I).  Definitely give the placement test, starting with the lower level math test.  Plan on taking it over a couple of days or so since it can get long.

There are a lot of others, though.  Do you know if he does well with computer programs?  

I assume he likes computers as he is a teen boy :-).

CLE was my first thought too as I loved it. It can be pretty long but possible we could modify it and do 1/2 of the review and not all of the new stuff if he just needs a refresher. So hard as I am betting he has never had systematic teaching of anything.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's a good point. Working with him one on one for a bit before picking something might help determine which program to leap forward with.

You might also look at Dynamo Math to solidify basics since there is a computer based component, a paper and pencil component and a manipulatives with one on one teacher student interaction component. He might need that much scaffolding to fill in gaps and get him in a better place for a more mainstrem math program. Laid out clearly for the teacher, lessons aren't terribly long. May be really pricey now, though. I got access when it first became available so they were looking for people to try it out.

I can't suggest a program, but I'm listening in, because my son and a friend both have math disabilities, and I am often thinking about what to do regarding curriculum.

In the past we used CLE, and this year DS enrolled in school, so I'll share some thoughts. We worked really hard to keep him up to grade level in CLE, and though his performance on the tests was inconsistent, he was usually scoring in the 80s, so I was satisfied. This year he is at a school that is using Everyday Math ( :thumbdown: ), and it is just not working for him. The school has tested him for an IEP and found his math LD to be severe (he scored in the bottom level across all of the categories they tested), and he has an IQ in the range you mentioned.

I don't know. On the one hand, I thought CLE was working for him. On the other hand, now that he is needing to transfer those skills to a different curriculum, he is showing big gaps and a lack of understanding of some fundamentals. DS's particular disability is not with number sense -- he knows his facts and can do calculations when he knows the algorithm -- it is with understanding concepts, doing multi-step problems, and visual-spatial issues that affect understanding of geometry.

It's very difficult. I think CLE worked for him in that he could learn the algorithms and push forward to the next level. But he didn't learn the underlying concepts well enough. Maybe. I think for your student CLE might have too much practice in things he doesn't need and not enough in the areas that he needs help on. I think it is a good strong program, but you might have to modify it too much to make the kind of progress you need in the time you have.

I think in your situation, you may need to do some kind of basic placement testing, just so you can see what he knows and what he does not. Then you can target your instruction. It's hard with a student that age. Does he need to reach a certain level before graduating? Would it work to use something like Lial's Basic Math (I don't know this program, but I've heard it mentioned as one that reviews everything in a more succinct manner)? If you worked through something like that, maybe you could speed through the areas that he understands and then slow down and pull in additional resources for the concepts that he needs extra help on.

For reading, it sounds like you have a plan to start with. It sounds like you are planning to work on decoding and spelling, but I'd also watch for comprehension issues. DS11 has an SLD in reading comprehension but actually has grade-level reading skills. The comprehension is a difficult monster to tackle. And it can be hard to detect, depending on what learning method is used. For example, DS11's comprehension level goes way up when he listens to a text, versus when he reads it silently. But the testing the psych did for the IEP was using a listening model of reading, so his scores seemed okay to her. He got the SLD in reading comprehension due to input from his teacher and me, based on how he is doing in the classroom.

Hopefully comprehension won't be an issue for your new student, but it is something to watch for.

I can't suggest a program, but I'm listening in, because my son and a friend both have math disabilities, and I am often thinking about what to do regarding curriculum.

In the past we used CLE, and this year DS enrolled in school, so I'll share some thoughts. We worked really hard to keep him up to grade level in CLE, and though his performance on the tests was inconsistent, he was usually scoring in the 80s, so I was satisfied. This year he is at a school that is using Everyday Math ( :thumbdown: ), and it is just not working for him. The school has tested him for an IEP and found his math LD to be severe (he scored in the bottom level across all of the categories they tested), and he has an IQ in the range you mentioned.

I don't know. On the one hand, I thought CLE was working for him. On the other hand, now that he is needing to transfer those skills to a different curriculum, he is showing big gaps and a lack of understanding of some fundamentals. DS's particular disability is not with number sense -- he knows his facts and can do calculations when he knows the algorithm -- it is with understanding concepts, doing multi-step problems, and visual-spatial issues that affect understanding of geometry.

It's very difficult. I think CLE worked for him in that he could learn the algorithms and push forward to the next level. But he didn't learn the underlying concepts well enough. Maybe. I think for your student CLE might have too much practice in things he doesn't need and not enough in the areas that he needs help on. I think it is a good strong program, but you might have to modify it too much to make the kind of progress you need in the time you have.

I think in your situation, you may need to do some kind of basic placement testing, just so you can see what he knows and what he does not. Then you can target your instruction. It's hard with a student that age. Does he need to reach a certain level before graduating? Would it work to use something like Lial's Basic Math (I don't know this program, but I've heard it mentioned as one that reviews everything in a more succinct manner)? If you worked through something like that, maybe you could speed through the areas that he understands and then slow down and pull in additional resources for the concepts that he needs extra help on.

I agree that maybe working slowly through underlying concepts might help.  CLE may not go into enough depth for that.  

I have Lial's Basic College Mathematics and I really like the book but I found it went too fast in some ways (skipped through the explanations, not enough breakdown and depth) and too slow in others, for it be a good fit for DD.  We still pull it out sometimes, though.  You can get used copies pretty cheaply so it wouldn't cost much to try it out.

I did want to point out that solid number sense is not exactly the same thing as being able to perform computations or know math facts.  In fact, memorization of math facts can occur with virtually no number sense.

OP, can the student look at a die and tell how many dots are on it without counting them?  If you told him that you had rolled a 5 with 2 die could he tell you which are the only two combinations that will get you to 5 with two standard die?  If you gave him 3 oranges, then gave him 2 more could he tell you he had 5 without counting?  Honestly, I would start there.  Start with basic subitization skills and see how solid those are.  If he is solid on those then move on to more advanced number sense before committing to a program.  If basic suitization skills are weak I would run him through the Ronit Bird e-books if you can before starting a math program.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the input.  Until he gets here and we can work with him, I won't know a lot more.

Our current foster son is like their child someone mentioned above.  He can DO the math if he knows the algorithm and it is set up for him.  He can compute.....he can't figure out what process to use though if it isn't set up.  Hard one to work on.

• Like 1

I've been very happy with Math U See.  My 14 year old has a similar IQ and has struggled for years in school.  I started home schooling him a few months ago back in Alpha.  Alpha and Beta didn't take too long, but he did fill in some important gaps.  He's currently working through Gamma and is plugging along well.   The blocks and repetition seem to be helping.  I wonder though if he will hit a wall at some point and be unable to progress further.  

• Like 1

I've been very happy with Math U See.  My 14 year old has a similar IQ and has struggled for years in school.  I started home schooling him a few months ago back in Alpha.  Alpha and Beta didn't take too long, but he did fill in some important gaps.  He's currently working through Gamma and is plugging along well.   The blocks and repetition seem to be helping.  I wonder though if he will hit a wall at some point and be unable to progress further.  

MUS was my first thought too. It can be accelerated while he is remediating, and will remain gentle when he finds his actual level. It also doesn't put grade levels on anything, and doesn't appear childish so it works well for an older student at a very low starting level.

Thanks for the input. Until he gets here and we can work with him, I won't know a lot more.

Our current foster son is like their child someone mentioned above. He can DO the math if he knows the algorithm and it is set up for him. He can compute.....he can't figure out what process to use though if it isn't set up. Hard one to work on.

This is how DD14 is too! MUS has seemed to help a bit and we're going to try some Visualizing and Verbalizing with math to see if it helps. Anyway, yes it's hard when they can do computations but don't have the number sense or whatever to apply it independently.