Menu

MCT vent: "monstrosity" indeed!

We're working through WWW for vocabulary, and MCT's definition of the word teratology is "the science of monstrosities."  

Monstrosities?  Is that how we refer to children with congenital deformities?  What is this, the 19th century?  

Okay, venting done.  

"Terato" comes from the ancient Greek téras, meaning "monster." I can see why it is upsetting to see that, but if you are studying the etymology of words, well, that's what it means.

Perhaps that one would have best been left out of the program.

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
  • Like 2

Terato is the word for monster.  Teratology used to refer to a study of mythological monsters before referring to abnormalities in plants/animals. 

Just explain, move on.  Rather like many other words our language has abused and changed the meaning of (retard, gay, idiot, dumb..)

• Like 2

Yes, I may be sensitive to language here.  He does refer to the stem terato means "monster" but I think he could do with a different word definition, something more appropriate for modern ears.  My fear is that someone will ask dd what teratology means and she'll respond with the MCT definition.  

• Like 1

Yes, I may be sensitive to language here.  He does refer to the stem terato means "monster" but I think he could do with a different word definition, something more appropriate for modern ears.  My fear is that someone will ask dd what teratology means and she'll respond with the MCT definition.  

You are afraid your 14yo won't be able to handle word origin AND the current definition for the word if you teach it?

• Like 1

You are afraid your 14yo won't be able to handle word origin AND the current definition for the word if you teach it?

Well, the definition he gives is 'the science of monstrosities' and that's the correct answer as provided in the answer key.  He doesn't provide a modern definition.  I'm just glad I saw the offensive definition so I could point it out to her.  Otherwise, how would she know the correct definition?  

• Like 1

He does refer to the stem terato means "monster" but I think he could do with a different word definition, something more appropriate for modern ears. 

This has been an issue for me with root coverage sometimes. I appreciate etymology, but a big part of that is also how meaning has changed over time. I expect, always, a vocabulary lesson to end with the current usage. In many cases, this would avoid embarrassment.

• Like 4

Well, the definition he gives is 'the science of monstrosities' and that's the correct answer as provided in the answer key.  He doesn't provide a modern definition.  I'm just glad I saw the offensive definition so I could point it out to her.  Otherwise, how would she know the correct definition?  

The definition he gives is most certainly a correct definition, I would argue.  Just because the definition you are thinking of is more common, it is nonetheless, not the only definition, nor the original. 

I'm not the least bit offended by his definition.  I am a bit offended that you feel I should be offended.

• Like 1

The definition he gives is most certainly a correct definition, I would argue.  Just because the definition you are thinking of is more common, it is nonetheless, not the only definition, nor the original. 

I'm not the least bit offended by his definition.  I am a bit offended that you feel I should be offended.

I think you are being a little harsh here. Just because this word literally means "the study of monsters" or "the study of monstrosities" doesn't mean that MCT shouldn't have noted that the usage today means "the study of abnormalities of physiological development." If the goal is to increase fluency in English, it doesn't, imo, do very much for a child to teach them a meaning for a word that isn't the meaning that is commonly used and understood. "Negro" does indeed mean "black," but just as we don't refer to people with physical deformities as "monstrosities," we don't refer to black or AA people as "negros."

I wouldn't want to misuse a word like "teratology." I'd look dumb if I used it when talking to people about supernatural beings, because that's not what the word actually means when used today.

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
  • Like 3

Then make it a talking point. - People used to stare at and ostracize those with congenital deformities, calling them monsters.  - The study of the mythos of monsters is also called teratology.  -The scientific terms teratogen and teratogenic are much more commonly used than teratology.  etc.

There are a myriad of words out there whose usage and connotations have changed over time.  I wouldn't throw the WWW baby out with the bathwater.  

• Like 3

I think you are being a little harsh here. Just because this word literally means "the study of monsters" or "the study of monstrosities" doesn't mean that MCT shouldn't have noted that the usage today means "the study of abnormalities of physiological development." If the goal is to increase fluency in English, it doesn't, imo, do very much for a child to teach them a meaning for a word that isn't the meaning that is commonly used and understood. "Negro" does indeed mean "black," but just as we don't refer to people with physical deformities as "monstrosities," we don't refer to black or AA people as "negros."

I wouldn't want to misuse a word like "teratology." I'd look dumb if I used it when talking to people about supernatural beings, because that's not what the word actually means when used today.

You think I am being a little harsh, and I think she she was a bit overly offended. We all have different POVs. I just don't think MCT needs to give every definition of every word to avoid offending someone, especially when his curriculum leans towards the etymological side (IMO) to begin with.

As a PP said, discuss it with your child. I simply have chosen not to be offended.

Seeing as how the OP liked my response, I think she understood where I was coming from.

• Like 1

LOL, I appreciate hearing your views, even if I disagree.  That's why I "like" them.   :001_smile:   Also, I'm grateful that you all took the time to respond, so I just reward you with a 'like.'  

I know I enjoy seeing the little red flag at the top of the page.  

• Like 4