Menu

What is the best way to weight your child's math grades?

I need some input on what weight to assign my children's math grades.  They each have scores of daily lessons and tests.  Should tests count more?  Like 60% and daily lessons 40%?  Or should daily work count more??

Looking for suggestions!  Thanks!

Do you mean homework/problem sets for "daily lessons"?   This should not be over-weighted - probably only 20-25% the rest would be quizzes/chapter tests/semester exams.

The Regentrude testing method is a little tough for most students.  I would spread it around a little more than that.

I would give heavy weight toward mastery of the subject no matter how difficult the path to get there.

I would tend to give some credit for doing the homework well in a timely fashion and credit for tests. HOWEVER, I would let a great test override poor homework scores for that subject since they have learned the material in the process. I would also allow students to go back and repeat a new test in order to improve since the goal is to actually learn the material and if the score is bad I don't move on in the first place.

• Like 1

I grade tests only, no weighting.

I consider homework a learning opportunity. I don't care how many are missed, I care that they can find the mistakes and fix them. I don't want there to be pressure to do the work perfectly the first time. I want there to be the opportunity to think through things, work it out, not constantly ask for help, but try to use their own reasoning. Dd in particular would have made me sit with her and asked me if each step was correct or "what do I do next" if the homework had been graded. Knowing she could make mistakes and the only repurcussions would be fixing them gave her the freedom to explore, think, try, and reach a greater understanding. 

• Like 3

Do you mean homework/problem sets for "daily lessons"?   This should not be over-weighted - probably only 20-25% the rest would be quizzes/chapter tests/semester exams.

The Regentrude testing method is a little tough for most students.  I would spread it around a little more than that.

Yes...."daily lessons" as in the daily work they have to do.  Like in Teaching Textbooks, they only have daily lessons and tests.  I don't think there are quizzes or semester exams or anything like that.  Just daily work and tests. 

Yes...."daily lessons" as in the daily work they have to do.  Like in Teaching Textbooks, they only have daily lessons and tests.  I don't think there are quizzes or semester exams or anything like that.  Just daily work and tests. 

If this is at the high school level (Algebra 1?) you should try to give them comprehensive semester exams to ensure retention. You can locate some on the internet and modify as needed.

• Like 1

Chapter tests 60%

Homework 25%

Final exam 15%

Homework isn't finished until everything is right, so the homework grade is always 100%. Since my kids' test scores average in the mid 90s, the homework doesn't actually contribute that much to the final grade. But I haven't told my kids that.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

I've struggled with this myself, but have recently hit upon a solution I am comfortable with.

Up until last week, DD's math grades were 100% weighted from her tests.  I figured that was what demonstrated whether or not she has learned and retained what she was taught.  But I felt I was putting DD at a grade disadvantage for college applications because most public and private high schools add in points for things like homework completion, group projects, attendance, and other such nonsense that either doesn't apply to a homeschool or only tangentially is related to achievement.  Essentially, what DD learned and attained an A- for got an A+ in the local public schools.  At our local middle school, the test are weighted only 60%!  One could fail the exams and still pull a respectable grade!  :ohmy:   I wasn't about to do that, though, because then the math grade would be meaningless, and it would not really be a measure of what she had learned.  So now I have her math test grades count for 100% of her math grade, but I add in 2 extra credit problems per test.  So if she has a random, careless arithmetic error, she can make up for it in her grade and won't suffer from it too much (from a competitive POV).

Edited by reefgazer

I've struggled with this myself, but have recently hit upon a solution I am comfortable with.

Up until last week, DD's math grades were 100% weighted from her tests. I figured that was what demonstrated whether or not she has learned and retained what she was taught. But I felt I was putting DD at a grade disadvantage for college applications because most public and private high schools add in points for things like homework completion, group projects, attendance, and other such nonsense that either doesn't apply to a homeschool or only tangentially is related to achievement. Essentially, what DD learned and attained an A- for got an A+ in the local public schools. At our local middle school, the test are weighted only 60%! One could fail the exams and still pull a respectable grade! :ohmy: I wasn't about to do that, though, because then the math grade would be meaningless, and it would not really be a measure of what she had learned. So now I have her math test grades count for 100% of her math grade, but I add in 2 extra credit problems per test. So if she has a random, careless arithmetic error, she can make up for it in her grade and won't suffer from it too much (from a competitive POV).

I agree. I do the same thing because my kids tend to run gpa's of 3.8 to 3.9 because the local ps's pad so much. They would have 4.5's at the local PS and automatic presidential scholarships to two universities. So in order to help them be competitive precisely because I do not pad, and weight to midterms and semester finals only for semester grades, I have begun adding a couple of xtra credit questions here and there.