Menu

cleaning filmy eyeglasses?

SparklyUnicorn

They can be quite nasty about it.  Some flat out won't.  They don't have to.  They have to give you the prescription, but not the rest of it.

It's your medical file.  I'm pretty sure they have to give you the whole entire file if you ask for it.

https://www.healthit.gov/patients-families/faqs/what-should-i-do-if-my-doctor-does-not-give-me-access-my-records

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 1

Haven't read the other replies, but maybe try Costco's optical counter. I took in some glasses that I'd bought elsewhere and asked to purchase some special screws to fix the frame. The folks at the counter fixed them, cleaned them, handed them back to me, and did not charge me anything.  Even if they don't clean them for you, maybe they'll be able to suggest some product to try.

Actually, for something like that, I'd probably try a good optometrist's office that also sells glasses. They'd be able to look at the glasses and advise you best. In the interest of establishing a relationship with you that might bring future business, they might even clean them for you.

Good luck! Dirty glasses are no fun.

Edited by yvonne

I'm afraid to get Lasik.  My sister worked for a doc who did it so she saw all the good, bad, and ugly.  She had some horror stories.  So now I'm too scared.

All surgeries have risk.  The Ophthalmologist who did my LASIK surgeries (November 1997) was one of the pioneering scientists for the LASIK procedure.  At that time, she was the #2 person in the world for LASIK surgery. The #1 person at that time was in Bogota.  She studied Lasers at Harvard for about 6 months, while working on this. She was a perfectionist. She was working on getting the FDA approval for the LASIK procedure.

She was extremely professional. I remember her telling my wife and me, before scheduling the surgeries, "I'm doing cosmetic surgery, on healthy patients. It is critical that my patients understand the risks".   Two or three days after each of my LASIK surgeries, we went to her office for follow up. She probably did approximately 10 patients each day. My wife spoke in Spanish with 2 or 3 patients who were having bad issues.

For me, it was a miracle and a blessing and I hope that she is making a ton of money now (she moved to Qatar about 6 months after my surgeries,temporarily, and I believe she got married and is still there...)

My surgeries were during November 1997, before the FDA approval in the USA.  Early in 1999, my wife and I went up to Miami for about one week. One morning I was driving the rental car and there was a commercial on the radio for an Ophthalmologist.  Come watch a LASIK surgery and have a free Breakfast.  I almost crashed the car...

Also, in the late 90's I had a subscription to TIME Magazine or Newsweek Magazine. They had an article that showed someone in a shopping center office having LASIK surgery. The patient was in their street clothes.   I showed that to my wife. We were astonished, because my surgeries were done in an Ophthalmology Hospital, in their O.R., with extremely strict antiseptic conditions.

There are A LOT of Cosmetic Surgeons who are Charlatans... 

• Like 2

Haven't read the other replies, but maybe try Costco's optical counter. I took in some glasses that I'd bought elsewhere and asked to purchase some special screws to fix the frame. The folks at the counter fixed them, cleaned them, handed them back to me, and did not charge me anything.  Even if they don't clean them for you, maybe they'll be able to suggest some product to try.

Actually, for something like that, I'd probably try a good optometrist's office that also sells glasses. They'd be able to look at the glasses and advise you best. In the interest of establishing a relationship with you that might bring future business, they might even clean them for you.

We don't have Costco.

It's your medical file.  I'm pretty sure they have to give you the whole entire file if you ask for it.

https://www.healthit.gov/patients-families/faqs/what-should-i-do-if-my-doctor-does-not-give-me-access-my-records

Apparently this has changed.  It used to be that they did not have to.  It's been that long!  LOL

They had to give you the prescription, but not the pupillary distance measurement. 

I would call around and do this--many of the optometrists are very good about this. They understand how hard it is for people with these kinds of glasses to get new ones. Just call and speak to the optician. They may even be able to tell you what to do over the phone. My mom is the coke bottle club with you and Tech Wife, and her glasses broke once when she was visiting here. I think our office was closed (or it might have been the old office that had a nice optician but a mean optometrist). Anyway, we walked into an office, and they were so nice. They fixed her frames up with spare parts until she could get them fixed better at home. They didn't bat an eyelash, and it kept her from having to drive 8 hours home before her visit was up. She tries to keep a backup pair of glasses, but sometimes the frames don't make it.

My grandfather had his eye fixed when he had cataracts (his other eye won't ever work again). His eyes were really, really bad. They also tacked up his drooping lids. I think he sees the best he's ever seen. The fix with cataract surgery option is excellent.

• Like 1

All surgeries have risk.  

She probably did approximately 10 patients each day. My wife spoke in Spanish with 2 or 3 patients who were having bad issues.

There are A LOT of Cosmetic Surgeons who are Charlatans... 

You are correct that all surgeries have risk. However, not all surgeries have complications that can render a person unable to see. Sight is precious. I can't imagine having a halo (a common complication) in addition to an astigmatism (which I have). I have enough problems as it is! 

I think a 30% rate of having "bad issues" post-surgery is pretty bad. If the #2 doctor in the world had a rate like that, can you imagine what the average doctor's rate was? The procedure has changed quite a bit since you had your surgery, from what I understand. I still wouldn't do it, though. Last year I developed a vitrial tear and am now ineligible for the surgery, in any case. My hope rests in cataract surgery! 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

You are correct that all surgeries have risk. However, not all surgeries have complications that can render a person unable to see. Sight is precious. I can't imagine having a halo (a common complication) in addition to an astigmatism (which I have). I have enough problems as it is! 

I think a 30% rate of having "bad issues" post-surgery is pretty bad. If the #2 doctor in the world had a rate like that, can you imagine what the average doctor's rate was? The procedure has changed quite a bit since you had your surgery, from what I understand. I still wouldn't do it, though. Last year I developed a vitrial tear and am now ineligible for the surgery, in any case. My hope rests in cataract surgery! 

Exactly my thought. I've had severe vision issues my entire life.  I was wearing glasses since I was 1.  When I take my contacts off it is this reminder of just how crappy my vision is.  The thought of it possibly becoming worse is not a risk I'm willing to take.

Either way, I have an appointment Friday so I'll just buy new glasses.  I can't exactly say I didn't get a lot of use out of them!

• Like 2