Menu

Anyone else have those moments when it seems as though the kids have learnt nothing?

IsabelC

Sometimes my kids impress me with what they can observe, take in, figure out and remember. They recall things we mentioned in passing years ago, or make amazing links between different bits of knowledge that hadn't even occurred to me. But other times I am face palming and feeling like the. worst. teacher. ever. 

Our latest gems...

"Oh, the story of George Washington! Is that from the Bible? [pause] Oh no, American presidents aren't in the Bible, are they?"

Child: "It's in North America."
Me: "Nope. It's in Europe."
Child: "But wait - isn't Europe in America?"
Me: "WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN LEARNING IN GEOGRAPHY ALL YEAR?"

Please tell me this isn't the only household where the students are subject to random brain-farts...

Edited by IsabelC
  • Like 2

You are not alone. 

We watched James Bond From Russia With Love last night and in it you can see the Hagia Sophia.  We learned about the Hagia Sophia.  I had shown both my children tons of links about the Hagia Sophia.  I even went so far as to find a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle of the Hagia Sophia that we did at the conclusion of that week's lesson.

I said "hey what building is that?"  My oldest looked at me like I was nuts.  My youngest got it only after I gave half a dozen clues including "the second word is the name of your friend up the street." 

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 3

Honestly, this is why I think curriculum is overrated and the idea that kids only truly learn in one way (the neat and orderly curriculum way).  A lot of times kids have to presented with things over and over again for it to truly go into long term memory especially if the info is presented in some random, abstract way.  Maps are really abstract for instance.  The Hagia Sophia is some random building that has no bearing on the student's life whatsoever.  So of course it doesn't stick so well.

To me, instead of getting discouraged, just think of it as another way to review, so they take the info in in yet another way.  And if you think about it, adults do this kind of thing all the time; make mistakes about little factoids.  We just give them a break, whereas for kids, we're like: but I crammed that stuff into your brain last year!  Don't you remember!!!!

• Like 3

I want to believe it has to do with the time of the year? My kids' brains are busy with Christmas lights and sugar cookies :). We had a lot of those "knowledge" moments early December...can't remember specific examples right now. But, the most recent (not knowledge related)... asked my 8 yr old to bring a diaper for the baby...he said "OK mom" (so he did hear me), and he came back with socks ;). I think we all have "those moments" :)

• Like 1

My 8 year old walked into the kitchen, looked at the oven and said "Shoot it is 375 we missed 3 o'clock snack." He redeemed himself when I asked how many minutes were in an hour. Once he realized 375 couldn't be the time he realized I had the oven preheating for lunch. Yes he thought he'd missed his 3 o'clock snack before we'd even had lunch. I'll blame the hunger.

• Like 3

That's why things get repeated over the years.  It takes a long time for information to get assimilated and something you study in third grade is usually forgotten by fourth grade.

That is why SWB says you are NOT aiming for master, especially in the grammar stage. The best you can hope for is that when you cycle around is that your kid says, "Oh, ancient history, I love that".  Just that is a victory! 

FWIW, my kid did writing in years 5-8 with WWS.  Trust me when I say that we outlined things to DEATH.  We did it orally at first, together, so he could understand the process etc. It was never easy for him, but we did it again and again and again and again.....

Well, who is in 10th grade and just BOMBED an outline for his paper.  It was shaped like an outline...but it warn't no outline m'am.  :banghead: that thing stank on ice. 

• Like 1