Menu

Math - VSL/Right Brain

I know I've probably asked before because this is an unending search for at least a somewhat good fit for my 7th grader - gifted/VSL/RB learner.  But, here's the caveat - computer learning/screens are not successful for him so things like Teaching Textbooks is a no go.  We've used MUS and he gets bored.  We worked through Hands On Equations and he loved it and could do it all but he doesn't have a strong understanding in all things fractions, decimals, percents or much geometry (which I'm sure he'd be good at since he's so spatial in his thinking).  I've looked high and low and just can't find something to help us get through the year, master these topics and be able to start on Algebra next fall.  I've looked at Shiller, Right Start, McRuffy Math 5, and last night Horizons.  I showed him some sample problems from grade 6 on fractions and at first he couldn't do but I gave a hint on how to solve and he solved them all - but if I give him a placement test he doesn't know all the skills for 6 or perhaps even 5.  Ugh!!!!!  I've got MM on the shelf and we tried it but there is just no way I can pull that book out again next week and start back on it.  Nope.  Can't explain it but it is just one of those moments in a mom's homeschooling life where this feeling just rises up and strangles you when you look at it.  No...just no.

I ideas on what to look at, consider -- oh why hasn't someone come out with something for RB learners that learn with print and not a computer screen.  I know many proclaim the fame of CLE but I want math to be math, not interjected with Bible class. 

Help!!!! 

In defense of CLE, you can easily skip the "bible class" references.  This is not a math program that tries to indoctrinate students.  It simply makes basic references upon occasion.  For example, perhaps there is a word problem that involves missionaries.  In the whole lesson there may be that one reference to missionaries and it is in the context of a word problem.  Easy to skip those or cross them out if you find them offensive or inappropriate since there really aren't very many, at least not as I have seen so far.  In fact, you may go several lessons without any religious references whatsoever.

FWIW, my daughter is very visually oriented.  Extremely so.  However, when it came to math the only thing that has actually helped her retain math processes long term was switching to CLE because it incorporates so much review and consistency.  That may not work for your child at all but I thought I would mention it.  

The thing with CLE, though, is that he may not place in level 700.  I would highly recommend the placement tests, especially since they are free, and then just target the gaps before starting the full program.  

Do you school through the summer?  

• Like 1

I'm using CLE with mine. The bible stuff in their math is just not odorous in my opinion. It might be things like a missionary building houses being in a word problem for example. (If the local people rebuild missionary David's home, how many feet of roof material will they need sort of thing). I want to know where he placed. You can accelerate CLE, and I think it provides a great foundation, but sometimes kids place lower than expected there/it works ahead of other programs.

I also used Math in Focus, and that seemed to work ok. But I think it would be hard to jump into MIF at this age.

I like the FAN math Process Skills and Problem solving books for word problems/thinking work. You would start at the early grades if you wanted to use them, but ht the books will move quickly.

I added Arbor Algebra stuff in their pre-algebra book, but in retrospect I might have tried the first book in 6th and then moved to the algebra books from the series.

You could consider key to books in the weak areas if you think he's over-all solid perhaps?

We used sections of the MUS fractions and pre-algebra versions, HOE, and this standard McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra classroom text, which I thought was awesome. 

My DS has dyscalculia so we used a whiteboard and manipulatives to work through these concepts over and over again.  Chemistry with algebra has greatly reinforced his understanding because he can apply the concepts directly.

No, we don't school through the summer - despite my grand intentions of doing so.

I looked at placement test for CLE - and he's definitely ready for 500 but perhaps not 600 because he doesn't have the geometry exposure and decimals and percents and...I think it might not be a great fit because he works better with something that is mastery - work through a main topic, do some problems and then he somehow magically retains it and doesn't need the constant review - ah, to be a RB/VSL learner.

I've got the first book of AOP and we tried that about 2 years ago but the first chapter was overwhelming.  After reading a bunch of feedback about that first chapter and others having the same experience, once you get past it things flow much smoother.  I'm wondering if I should just work through all those books versus skipping over to the PreAlgebra one?  He really doesn't have enough exposure to the last few pieces of a math foundation (decimals, percents, negative numbers) or would there be a review.  I love the look of that McDougell PreAlgebra book and the price is awesome!!!  I'll have to revisit Derek Owens stuff.

It is just so hard to meet this kiddo's learning needs.  He enjoys the hands-on aspect and did great with HOE and we worked through the Mathtacular 4 which is all word problems and by the end of that book it was confusing and hard but he stuck with it so I want to keep moving forward.  Is he a math lover?  Nope, but he does well with it.  He's more of a story teller.  Loves creating those stop motion movies and pays attention to small minute details.

Does anyone know if the Key to series covers enough to succeed in the higher level maths?

You wrote that he is; gifted/VSL/RB learner.

Though VSL/RB learner is actually a mythical creature, that doesn't exist.

Spacial processing, fundamentally relies on the integration of both sides of the brain.

It can't be formed in just one side.

Just as their can be no left, without a right.

No end, without a beginning.

A true Visual-Spacial Learner, is someone who was born without hearing.

But in regard to Right Brain Learner?

This actually refers to people who as a baby or infant, suffered major trauma to the left side of their brain.

Though it is rare that the entire left side is effected. 

Which would also be rare to survive.

It is unfortunate that this 'gifted/VSL/RB Learner' myth, is still thought of as fact?
As wrong understanding, is worse than no understanding.

Ok, so he needs to firm up fractions/decimals/percents first thing...  Does he forget the procedures or did he never really quite get the concepts or both?   Random thoughts and ideas:

Key-to is great for drill/practice on these topics, though you would need to determine whether that's the right approach for your VSL.  Key-to did not go so well for the one child of mine who used it at school - instead of firming up his memory of these procedures, it had the opposite effect, as though his memory all flowed out of his hand, kind of like how I forget what I've written on my grocery list as soon as I write it down (weird).  Key-to is not so great for concepts, though that varies by topic (e.g. it has zero concept instruction on division with fractions).

My preference would be to go with the big picture as much as possible.  I'd probably do some lessons orally on the white board - back to basics, remember that the fraction line is a division symbol, etc.

MM is a bit incremental for a big-picture learner though I might compact a group of lessons (e.g. division with fractions is around 5 lessons; I'd do them all together in one go).  Also, somewhere in MM, I vaguely recall there are some lessons connecting fractions with decimals and percents - IMO that might be helpful after you firm up the fractions.

AoPS is the biggest-picture program I can think of.  Whether it would ultimately be too difficult is hard to say for a child I don't know, but if you are considering using the later books, I wouldn't skip the Prealgebra text because it could be just the thing that pulls the big picture of the concepts together for your gifted VSL.  The fraction and decimal chapters are among the easier ones in the book (though the topics in the second half of the book are more fun for VSL/RB than the topics in the first half).  While he doesn't do well with the computer screen, it also might be worth trying the AoPS videos for those chapters to see whether he can get anything out of them regardless of whether you use the text.

Since you have the text already, and he's had fraction instruction before, as an experiment I'd be willing to crack open the text to the beginning of ch 4 and give some of those lessons a go (slowly! no rush), having him do the lesson problems as much by himself as possible, with hints from you only if absolutely necessary.  The lesson problems would force him to think through the concepts thoroughly.  I'd sit with him during the lessons for this chapter to make sure he reads the little bits right before the lesson problems (those might be sufficient hints).  It's hard to know, but it might turn out that working through this chapter would be a more efficient way to go about his fraction review than 50+ pages of drill.  Or maybe a little drill could be added; you'd have to use your personal judgment.

You'd need to skip lessons 4.4 and 4.5, which use some exponents and least common multiple (topics from ch 2 and 3).  You may want to add some extra practice or occasional review later down the line.  If ch 4 worked, I'd continue on with the book, going back to do ch 2 and 3 and the skipped lessons from ch 4.

So you would do the PreAlgebra AOPs one versus working through the Levels 3, 4 and now 5?  I have the first book of Level 3 - multiplication although it started with a geometry lesson.  Maybe I should use a different level before hitting PreAlgebra?  Hmmm...guess I need to go look at those scope and sequences. 

Has anyone used Shiller?

As for information on a true VSL/RB - perhaps this is true in medical terms but I find it helps in figuring out how the child learns and connects with information.  His hearing is extremely overly sensitive (his physician jokes that he could probably hear the grass grow) while my oldest suffers from a severe hearing loss and can't hear me in a conversation.  My oldest is not VSL at all nor does he share any of the traits of his younger brother.  My youngest has been a sponge over the years listening to all the lessons that I worked on or through with his older siblings.  He just naturally started reading.  He just spells words with no rhyme or reason.  He can do math in his head but can't tell you how he gets the answer (which doesn't work for some college professors who will want to see the process).  He's overly sensitive to those around him.  He is a big picture thinker but he notices when the small details are not where they should be.  He may look a lot like his oldest brother (I call them my book ends) but he is unlike any of them in his approach to learning or thought.  He would have been lost in a classroom.  But, I digress.

I think I'm getting closer to a solution without holding him back or spending time repeating unneeded coursework.