Menu

College algebra = high school algebra 3? Or what

S/o from DE math thread.

Ds isn't taking the placement tests for DE until spring, but I'm thinking about next year already anyways.

He's finishing geometry now & will start Alg2 in Feb & go through the summer with it.

My tentative plan is to do high school precalc at home after Alg 2 (if I can settle on a self teaching enough program, if not, it may wind up needing to DE instead).

College algebra is above Algebra 2, is that correct? Then College precalc isn't just high school precalc redone?

I'm confused by the college math sequence. He wants to go into either engineering or computer sci & I'd like him to get through calc 1 while still technically high school, but it can be at home or DE. (He's in 10th now)

Should probably wait until I have his placement test results, I guess.

Thanks

So, is College Algebra a college-level class (credit-earning)?

Only credit earning for non-STEM majors (and possibly life science). For OP's prospective engineering major, College algebra is considered remedial and the credit would not count towards the major.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

So, is College Algebra a college-level class (credit-earning)?

In my experiences college Algebra is a college-level class, it is always worth college level credit.

However, in many math-heavy disciplines, it does not count towards fulfilling requirements for graduation. Check the syllabus of each major your interested in. If the first required math class is Calculus 1, then College Algebra does not fulfill your math requirements.

• Like 6

Ah ha! Now that makes sense. Thank you:)

So if he places into college algebra, we could skip doing precalc at home (which I'm rather dreading) & DE both college Alg &'then college pre calc, Then calc 1.

This may be dependent on school, and also class titles may vary, but at the cc where my dd is enrolled, the progression is College Alg, then trig, then calculus.   They don't offer "pre-cal".  I guess this may be considered equiv. to trig???

dd actually tested into trig,  but since it was her first de class, we opted for the college algebra anyway.  But ymmv, as her degree of choice doesn't require that much math. 

• Like 2

This may be dependent on school, and also class titles may vary, but at the cc where my dd is enrolled, the progression is College Alg, then trig, then calculus.   They don't offer "pre-cal".  I guess this may be considered equiv. to trig???

yes, same thing at the school where I teach. They have College Algebra and Trig (which together would comprise precalc)

• Like 3

HUh, just occured to me that if he takes the placement tests in this spring, while he's just started Alg 2, that he probably will place low in their math sequence. Will just have to wait & see how those tests go & go from there.

I really want him to do the rest of his math outsourced though, whatever it is:)

HUh, just occured to me that if he takes the placement tests in this spring, while he's just started Alg 2, that he probably will place low in their math sequence. Will just have to wait & see how those tests go & go from there.

I really want him to do the rest of his math outsourced though, whatever it is:)

We had this issue. We wanted dd to take College Algebra at the CC this fall. She took Algebra 2 at home last year. She did her original Compass testing in the fall to register for Spring classes last year and only tested into Intermediate Algebra (appropriate since we were just a couple of chapters into Intermediate Algebra :) ) She retook the Compass in the spring and had no trouble testing into College Algebra. That said, since you aren't starting Algebra 2 until spring, so he may only test into Intermediate Algebra (the equivalent of Algebra 2).

I wouldnt stress until you see how he test the first time. If he doesn't place where he needs to, just have him re-test in the summer and register late. Here registering late is very common at the CC. 

• Like 1

College Algebra can mean different things at different schools. From the flow chart it looks like this school does College Algebra as a stepping stone class before PreCalc. It also looks like some students might go directly into PreCalc 1 or PreCalc 1&2.

Be careful with a PreCalc 1&2 class. That may be a heavy and fast one semester course. (A similar course was a Mon-Fri 6 credit course at one of our CCs. More than I wanted for a first DE experience)

You might look at the course descriptions or textbook listing or ask the math dept for course details.

• Like 1

Yeah this must really vary from school to school (which is maddening).  My kid completed algebra 2 at home.  He was able to take College Algebra with Trig based on the placement test at the CC.  Although actually he could have taken something higher if he wanted to.  I wanted him to start with something not too difficult because this is his first "real" class.

If this is for high school, I don't think you need to worry about if it counts towards a degree or not.  It will count just fine for high school. 

The course that comes after at the school he is going to is Pre Calc with Geometry.  Then comes all the Calc classes.  The same school also has remedial algebra classes that are numbered below 100.

I was just doing that this morning. :) Now I'm looking up textbooks.

Got them!

Blitzer College Algebra 

Sullivan Precalculus 

There's no way I would have him take the combined 1&2 class. Having to take 4 math classes at the CC, I'd feel more comfortable having him start with College Algebra, PreCalc1, PreCalc2 and then Calculus. It all really depends on how he places though. 

College Algebra does NOT serve as a prerequisite for Math 127 nor is it sufficiently rigorous for entry into calculus

The course description reads  

Practical applications are the focal point of this course. Topics

include equations and inequalities; linear, quadratic, polynomial,

exponential and logarithmic functions and their graphs; solutions

of systems of linear equations; matrices; and sequences and series.

Math 126 PreCalc1

A rigorous discussion of algebra concepts necessary for calculus

is the focal point of this course. Topics include an in-depth

investigation of algebraic functions and their graphs and solutions of

systems of equations. Prerequisite: MATH 096 or MATH 097 both

with a grade of C or better; or a satisfactory ACT/SAT/Placement

Test Score. Note: This course serves as a prerequisite course for

MATH 127 and is essential for students planning to take calculus.

Math 127 PreCalc2 is Trig and Geometry

Topics include an in-depth investigation of trigonometric

functions and their graphs, analytic trigonometry, solutions of

triangles, vectors, and analytic geometry. Prerequisite: MATH 126

with a grade of C or better; or a satisfactory ACT/SAT/Placement

Test score. Note: This course is essential for students planning to

take calculus.

MATH 128 Precalculus and Trigonometry 5 (5,0,0,0)

A one semester course equivalent to the combination of

MATH 126 and MATH 127. Topics include an in-depth

investigation of algebraic and trigonometric functions and their

graphs, solutions of systems of equations, analytic trigonometry,

solutions of triangles, vectors, and analytic geometry. Prerequisite:

MATH 096 or MATH 097 both with a grade of C or better; or a

satisfactory ACT/SAT/Placement Test score.

Sounds like you are finding the info you need.  It seems like there isn't really a widespread standard for what College Algebra is.  At DS1's first CC, College Algebra was the name of the first semester of the pre-calculus sequence.  At the next CC, College Algebra was something completely different.

It really is something that requires attention to the sequence charts, course descriptions and placement test results.

Working on it. :)  I'm sure the DE program will have more input and guidance once he starts there next year. I'm just trying to get an idea what to expect so I can prepare him. I just found a more updated and easier to read flow chart from the CC (not the DE Program that uses the CC) that has College Algebra OR Precalc1, not both. *smacking my head* I have plenty of time to figure this out and I'm sure it will all work out. 

Thanks for all of the help!

Looking at this flow chart, it seems that the choice of College Algebra or Pre Calc 1 depends in part on what the student's long range goals are.  A student who intends to continue on to Calculus would want Pre Calc 1, then Pre Calc 2.  A student who is moving slower or who doesn't intend to move towards Calculus could do College Algebra, then something like Statistics.  

For a DE student, it might be appropriate to do College Algebra, then move laterally to Pre Calculus 1 in order to have a solid grounding.  A lot depends on goals and placement test results.

I wouldn't fret too much a full year in advance.  One thing that we've experienced is that offerings and sequencing at the CC is subject to radical change.  Our current CC system is in the process of eliminating nearly all of the remedial offerings and having Math 100 as the lowest possible course.  Both of my kids' math professors were pretty unhappy about this change.  Their campus will be keeping the remedial courses, but now classes like Trig and Statistics are hard to find sections for.  I'm haunting the course listings to see if the math classes they've registered for will end up cancelled for low enrollment.  Already DS1 had to change his plans because Chem 2 and Calc 2 were scheduled at the same time.  

So be aware of options, but don't obsess.

• Like 1

In my experiences college Algebra is a college-level class, it is always worth college level credit.

However, in many math-heavy disciplines, it does not count towards fulfilling requirements for graduation. Check the syllabus of each major your interested in. If the first required math class is Calculus 1, then College Algebra does not fulfill your math requirements.

not for Engineering students - no credit is given (or wanted - future employer does not want see this)

not for Engineering students - no credit is given (or wanted - future employer does not want see this)

What some posters are trying to make a distinction between is which classes are college level, for which a student earns college credit, and which classes are not going to meet the degree requirements for specific degree programs.

Hawaiian voyaging canoe navigation and weather is a college level course in the UHawaii system.  Students who take it will earn college credit.  That credit may not meet a need in their degree requirements and may not transfer to other college systems.

It is always up to the gaining institution to decide if they will grant transfer credit, be it for CC classes, AP scores or coursework from other 4 year colleges and universities.  

• Like 2