Menu

Need advice from shipping gurus

skimomma

I usually send all of our gifts to family by plain old USPS first class mail.  For whatever reason, every single thing we have ordered has come WAY later than expected.  Even Prime.  The final item to go in each box will not make it here until Friday (was supposed to be YESTERDAY).  It is extremely important that all of our packages arrive before Christmas day.

What are my options?

We live in an area where Saturday does not "count."

So, if that package does not show up until Friday afternoon, we have to really say I am shipping on "Monday" even if I get the boxes out on Friday afternoon.

What is the least expensive and most likely to actually arrive on time?

UPS 2-Day (their site says 3-Day will not be 3-Day during holiday week).

FedEx 2-Day (same as above for 3-Day)

USPS 2-Day

We have a lot of boxes so this is a significant investment.

What size, how heavy and how far away?

My kid's ROV kit arrived the next day by USPS Priority Express. However it is from the next county to me, about 2hrs drive away.

Locally, I had the best luck with getting UPS parcels delivered on time followed by FedEx and DHL. USPS tends to deliver wrongly here unless signature is required. Neighbors have posted in local email list about getting someone else's parcels.

Have you checked the USPS flat-rate boxes?  (I'm not sure if that's the right name for them, but something like that.)  I've learned that sometimes I can save money by using one of their boxes at the flat right (so I think it doesn't matter how heavy it is?  I'm not quite sure how it works), instead of using my own box and then being charged extra for size or weight.

I usually send all of our gifts to family by plain old USPS first class mail.  For whatever reason, every single thing we have ordered has come WAY later than expected.  Even Prime.  The final item to go in each box will not make it here until Friday (was supposed to be YESTERDAY).  It is extremely important that all of our packages arrive before Christmas day.

What are my options?

We live in an area where Saturday does not "count."

So, if that package does not show up until Friday afternoon, we have to really say I am shipping on "Monday" even if I get the boxes out on Friday afternoon.

What is the least expensive and most likely to actually arrive on time?

UPS 2-Day (their site says 3-Day will not be 3-Day during holiday week).

FedEx 2-Day (same as above for 3-Day)

USPS 2-Day

We have a lot of boxes so this is a significant investment.

Both UPS and Fedex seem to be struggling with getting packages in on time currently. We just (at work) had a package arrive YESTERDAY (at 2p, end of the day!) that was sent priority and was needed last THURSDAY (And in tracking has been "out for delivery" all that time!)

Edited by vonfirmath

For less than 2lbs the flat rate boxes are not going to save much and may cost more.

Since the parcels are going to family, ask them which is more reliable in their area.

If you mail parcels often, see if you could get better rates by opening an account. I print my USPS labels at home and get a discount for that. I used to have a FedEx account because I worked from home before kids.

I would also be looking at USPS. They've had the best track record in this holiday season of getting things to me the fastest, particularly cross-country things. And as suggested, look at the flat rate boxes. I haven't used them personally, but we did a little project at church sending out care packages to our college students and the rate was around $5 for a small box, priority mail I believe. Shipping was slightly higher for the one student on the east coast.

I normally would say USPS but I mailed a bunch of boxes yesterday and the priority ones are 'probably' going to get there Friday and the first class ones Monday.   These boxes went from Illinois to Florida, Georgia, Texas, and South Carolina.  So if you have to wait until Friday, it might be a tight delivery schedule. 

UPS is simply not as reliable in a few of the locations where my relatives live so I don't often use them. But UPS does great delivering to me. 

Hope your stuff arrives quickly!!

Wishing you the best of luck, but I am not sure you have that many options? The flat rate priority boxes are great when it's for really heavy stuff. I used a large one the other day, cost me about $19, but it was so heavy it would have cost me close to $40. If I was you I'd try priority mail and hope for the best, since I can't afford overnight delivery. Worse case scenario, it doesn't arrive by Christmas? Well...you had the intentions, and for us Christmas starts on Christmas day but it lasts until the Epiphany, so we have some cushion there (specially with presents coming from out of town). Also, I am the type that loves belated bday presents since it kind of keeps the celebration going. What I am trying to say is that, if I was the recipient I would appreciate your gesture, regardless of if the present arrives before Christmas or not :)

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I might take my chances with USPS and keep my fingers crossed.  Most of my boxes will not go into the flat rate boxes unless I go REALLY big which is going to cost a fortune.  I would pony up for FedEx or UPS but these are the culprits of my problem to begin with.  2-day FedEx has been DAYS late over the last two weeks.  I have family members who are alone for the holidays and I hate for them not to have their boxes on Christmas day proper but there is a limit to how much I am willing to spend....especially if it is not going to get there in time anyway.

• Like 1