Menu

Sahamamama's Self-Education

Now that I'm here, posting this, it's embarassing. :blushing: But some folks on another thread wanted to know (without hi-jacking the thread), so here's my Self-Education Plan (5 or more years to work through):

BIBLE & THEOLOGY

• Bible Read-Through (I've done this before, but am currently reading through again in 2008)
  • Systematic Theology 1 & 2 (I've taken these college-level courses, but plan to work through the material again in 2009)
  • Church History 1 & 2 (I've taken these college-level courses, but plan to work through the material again in 2010)
  • Missions (I've taken this college-level course, but plan to work through the material again in 2011)

LATIN & GREEK

• Henle Latin I, with the Study Guide, Book of Roots, Lingua Angelica (Book 1), all from Memoria Press (2008-2009; sometime in 2009, add Lingua Latina, a Latin reading program, just to have more practice)
  • Henle Latin II (move into this whenever I'm ready, maybe 2010?)
  • Further Latin (we'll see what we'll do when we get there)
  • Elementary Greek 1, 2, and 3 (2011 -- so far, that is the plan)
  • Mounce or another advanced Greek course (can't see that far ahead; Mounce is in the garage -- I chickened out in seminary)

HISTORY & LITERATURE

• Kingfisher History Encyclopedia (SWB advises adult learners to go through this or another world history spine and write their own narrations, keep a timeline, make a notebook, etc. -- 2009/2010)
  • Invitation to the Classics, by Os Guinness & Louise Cowan (2011, or sometime before beginning GBs)
  • Great Books (work through some of my top picks, using Cliff notes and my notebook for each work -- lifetime, no ending date)

So far, that's it. I had thought about addressing my weaknesses in Logic, Rhetoric, Mathematics, and Science, but these would take a lifetime to remedy. At some point in the not-too-distant future, I will have to shift gears and teach. My children currently take an afternoon nap each day, so I have that potential study time (I'm here today, though, because I don't feel well). My best study time is in the early morning. You have to want something badly enough to get up for it at 5:30 in the morning. I also study in the evenings after the girls go to bed -- my husband takes a looooooong time in the bathroom. I think he falls asleep, poor guy. I hear him snoring on the toilet. :sleep:

I am thinking of starting Latin (probably fall 2009 since I am currently in grad school and that is taking a lot of time and effort). I found your comments in the other thread very interesting and I have a question and some follow up questions.

How are you finding Henle I?

Is it easy to follow?

Are there a lot of technical terms?

I am currently studying english grammar at university and am feeling pretty lost since I belong to the generation that was never taught grammar or phonics since there was some misguided thought about whole language or whatever (can you tell I am bitter). I am hoping that Latin will make more sense and help me understand the english better.

Thanks

I am thinking of starting Latin... and I have some questions. How are you finding Henle I? Is it easy to follow? Are there a lot of technical terms?

Honestly? Well... there's the good news and the bad news.

The good news is that I am learning from Father Henle. He was a master Latin teacher, and he put himself and his teaching into the book. He does explain what he teaches, and the exercises (IMO) are just right. He pulls vocabulary back into the exercises just when you think the word dropped off the planet. He put a lot of humor, encouragement, and good advice right into the book. So there are positives.

The bad news is that Henle I is in a cumbersome format. For almost every study session, I might have to juggle (1) the Study Guide from Memoria Press; (2) the Henle I textbook; (3) the Henle Grammar; (4) the Henle Answer Key; (5) my own notebook; and (6) Vocabulary flashcards (no big deal). The vocabulary is scattered throughout each lesson, some of the instructions for the exercises are vague, and the exercises have to be written out in your notebook (no workbook). The format problems would be my biggest reservation about using the program with a 5th/6th grader, but an adult with good study habits can certainly handle it (see below for some tips).

The "not so great news" (sort of) is that, duh, Father Henle was Catholic, so if you are not Catholic some of the, um, Mater-ial might bug you a bit. So far I'm not seriously bothered by it.

TIPS (if you go with Henle):

Study Guide: Definitely get the study guide from Memoria Press. I don't go at the pace of the guide, but I use the boxes/days to check off what work I've done. Mrs. Lowe has helpful suggestions and notes, so I think it's worth getting. You'll see what I mean when you get the guide.

Notebook: Get a 2-3" three-ring binder, you are going to fill it up fast with all these exercises! I have five dividers for Grammar, Vocabulary, Derivatives, Exercises & Quizzes, and Notes. Also, get a lot of index cards (different colors) for the vocabulary cards.

Vocabulary: When you begin a "Lesson," go through and pull out ALL the vocabulary from the entire lesson FIRST. Write the words on a list in part of speech order (nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, other parts of speech), then on index cards (Latin on one side, English on the other).

Derivatives: Next, take your vocabulary list and add to the right of each Latin word the derivatives (for example, terra, terrae --- terrestrial, territory, terrain, etc.). I make note of all the derivatives before I get into the lesson. I also do the corresponding pages from The Book of Roots as I work through the lesson. This helps to cement the vocabulary by linking it to English words I already know.

Declamation Cheat-Sheet: This is what you will use for your Oral Drill Time (Declamationes). Each day you will recite/sing out loud several things: Latin Prayers (from Lingua Angelica), Latin Songs (from Lingua Angelica), noun declension endings (-a, -ae, -ae, -am, -a, -ae, -arum, -is, -as, -is, etc., etc.), model nouns (terra, terrae, terrae, terram, terra, terrae, terrarum, terris, terras, terris, etc., etc.), any other grammar you learn (verbs, etc.), and Latin Sayings. If you type/copy this out and put it in sheet protectors at the front of your notebook, it will be there for the beginning of each study session.

Exercises: This step is a lot of work, but it's worth it to me. I type (on the computer) all the exercises for each lesson before I get into the lesson. I don't like copying out the exercises by hand; it's annoying. :glare: Here's where I wish the exercises were in a workbook, with space for writing the translations/declensions. Sigh. It is what it is. Type them up, put them in your notebook, and you are ready to roll.

Well, that's what I've figured out so far about studying with dear Father Henle. He's a good teacher. So, I think, is Cheryl Lowe of Memoria Press. If you decide not to go with Henle, you could wait until Memoria Press comes out with First Form Latin (later this year?), then begin with that. I don't know if the format is any smoother.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for this, S. I want to follow much the same path, except that I will add mathematics studies in earlier rather than later. Sigh. It is just not my nature to do something so... left brained. I purchased the Chalkdust Basic Math (for Grade 6) to begin with. Please do keep us updated on how it is going for you ... I am sure many of us can use the inspiration!

Thanks for sharing this Sahamamama - I'm on a similar path. For me it's History/Literature, Latin, Greek, writing and grammar (not all at once!) Right now I'm working through a grammar book and have a writing book waiting in the wings. It's nice to see that other moms are doing something similar!

Today is Saturday, but I was up studying Latin this morning, bright and early. I am so used to getting up now, I can no longer sleep in! How's that for warped? My husband just groaned -- he can't handle me when he's half asleep and I'm perky! ;) As I was chattering away, he got up, put on his baseball cap, and went to Starbucks, mumbling something about "high-octane fuel." :lol: Did he mean the coffee, or me? :glare:

When I think about what I know and what I wish I knew... well, let's just say that a lot of those long, lonely, boring PS days were pretty much wasted, if you KWIM? In the back of my head, there is a voice that reminds me I really SHOULD do something about Math. Sigh. Algebra or Geometry or something. Then I think, nah, I'll get there when I get there. For the long-term learning journey, I have time (or I don't, but that's okay, too).

I also have Dave, the guy with the coffee. :D He's my Math Genius, and I'm married to him. :001_wub: He went to PS in CA (circa 1980s), while I went to PS in NJ (circa 1980s). His interests at the time were maths and sciences, mine were writing and church. He doesn't really balance a checkbook well, but, by George, he knows Calculus! He knows Biology! He knows Chemistry! He knows..... (drumroll) Physics!

I read once somewhere a statement by someone (how's that for precision?) that many people make the mistake of focusing on their weaknesses too much. So I thought that rather of the usual practice of beefing up my "weaknesses," I would instead strengthen my strengths.

Let a few subjects TRULY be mastered/comfortable. Feel the cool breeze of knowing. Let the success invigorate you. Then branch out into the less certain places, after you have gotten accustomed to being a disciplined (adult, self-taught) student.... Why begin with the "weakest" area? Why would I start with Calculus? Gag me.

I'd rather have success with an exciting "new" language (Latin), an old favorite (Bible), a lifelong interest (Church History/Missions), and a growing passion (chronological, world History in narrative form). If I become a better self-tutor, if I learn how I learn and how I teach myself, if I become more patient and in tune with my children for whom everything is new, if the world once again takes on color and freshness, then I will have done well to study, to nurture a teachable spirit, even if I don't get all the way through "The Program."

Declamation Cheat-Sheet: This is what you will use for your Oral Drill Time (Declamationes). Each day you will recite/sing out loud several things: Latin Prayers (from Lingua Angelica), Latin Songs (from Lingua Angelica), noun declension endings (-a, -ae, -ae, -am, -a, -ae, -arum, -is, -as, -is, etc., etc.), model nouns (terra, terrae, terrae, terram, terra, terrae, terrarum, terris, terras, terris, etc., etc.), any other grammar you learn (verbs, etc.), and Latin Sayings. If you type/copy this out and put it in sheet protectors at the front of your notebook, it will be there for the beginning of each study session.

So... can I ask what your declamation cheat sheet looks like? :D I need to put one together myself. And I also need a kick in the tail back to work on my Latin, because our schedule has been all messed up with me going out of town and getting really sick, then my youngest DD getting pretty sick.

I would add to the Henle study plan:

Pack a backpack that you carry instead of a purse. Fill it with your Henle notebook, flashcards, etc. If you can be consistent about having it with you and pulling it out for those odd moments in the waiting room, you will have additional progress.

Also, consider teaching a class--you wouldn't need to wait for your kids, but gather a group of kids. The second time through (with your kids) you will be able to teach more efficiently, and easily.

I made some new chant sheets for my Latin classes this year which are really helping ME. They have spots to fill in the chants and translations for each word of the vocabulary for each conjugation (or declension). It will help cement the material for visual learners. Maybe make some parts in color for those with alternate learning styles.

Also, I'm finding that my brain just works better if I get more exercise. So, I'm up using those early hours to exercise, and doing the Latin later in the day. I'm not sure why exercise makes such a difference.

Hope this helps,

Pat

I'm very impressed, and I'm printing out your post, Sahamamama!

Currently, my self-education plan is to do the following this semester:

1. Work through the first 20 chapters of Wheelock's Latin. I've just started an online class with Professor Richard LaFleur from the University of Georgia. He's the one who revised Wheelock's Latin and also created the Workbook for Wheelock's Latin with Paul T. Comeau. Already I'm very impressed with him as a professor, and I've never even met him nor spoken with him yet! Everything about the course is very well-organized; the lessons and readings are clearly outlined.

2. I'm listening to Classics of American Literature from the Teaching Company. The professor is Arnold Weinstein; so far, there is good information, but I don't always care for his interpretations of literature. I'm going to read through as many works of American and British Literature as possible, hopefully to position myself to take the GRE Subject Test in English Literature sometime this year.

But, your list is very impressive, and I'm saving your post! Thanks for posting this.

Good for you and congratulations.

I found the following very interesting as I've made this error so many times. I think focusing on a strength could give a much needed boost in the motivation department. I'm going to think on this some more. Thank you.

"I read once somewhere a statement by someone (how's that for precision?) that many people make the mistake of focusing on their weaknesses too much. So I thought that rather of the usual practice of beefing up my "weaknesses," I would instead strengthen my strengths."s

Wow, Sahamamamma, this is fab. I tried to rep you but I have to spread it around . . .

I'm going to be starting Henle with my children soon, and this is a BIG help. I can see that I am going to be VERY busy. I wish I'd been able to self-study Latin more when the children were little, but as you so wisely said,

It is what it is.

We are currently on the review lesson after Lesson 15 in LCII, and we are in no hurry ; ).

I'd like to add that there is a very helpful Henle yahoo group. I'm sorry that I don't have the link handy, but I believe it's HenleLatin@yahoogroups.com ... or http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/HenleLatin. They will answer any questions you have about exercises.

I used/am using Henle to educate myself, too. I love it. I took myself through about unit 8 of Henle I, and am starting into Henle II (though I really need to find a consistent time to study). At times, I take a break from Henle and read Lingua Latina.

Learning Latin myself, first, has helped so much. I am currently trying to learn Greek alongside my students, and it is not going nearly so well.