Menu

What's for Christmas dinner?

barnwife

Turkey Tetrazzinni.  I have an awesome recipe that our family loves and you are supposed to make it the night before and leave it in the fridge over night.   Then it only takes 20 minutes to bake for dinner.  It's so good & an easy dinner- I am not into slaving the day away making a huge dinner for just our family.    We like to have a quiet, relaxed day just playing with toys, napping, etc. 

we finally have an entree.

prime rib (one rare, one done. heresy.)

rolls

pineapple salad

mashed potatoes

green beans

more veggies . . . . I may make a caeser salad.

hmm, I need to make a fruit cake this week.  2ds will need to make fudge.  he makes very good fudge.

come up with something for dessert. I'd be happy if 1dd would make chess tarts. (we sent some home with a friend who came for thanksgiving. she ate most of them by herself.)

For dinner on the 25th, we'll see my mom's side of the family. Everyone will be finger foods.  I think I'll take veggies and hummus.

For Christmas dinner when we celebrate with my husband, daughters and their boyfriend/fiance on Wednesday it will be ham, some sides I haven't thought enough about yet, and the last deep dish cherry pie I made this summer and wrapped in miles of plastic wrap and aluminum foil and put in the really cold freezer. 

Xmas eve at our house

Standing prime rib roast

Twice baked potato casserole

Herbed dinner rolls

Carmelized carrots and onions

Pear pomegranate salad with Gorgonzola

Homemade pie/cookies

There's actually not a ton of work other than the cookie baking and the pies I'm making.

Xmas day is at inlaws. That meal will be more ho hum/highly processed. I'm bringing a salad and a pie.

Edited by WoolySocks

Christmas Eve will be a Polish dinner with flounder or sole, Kasha with mushrooms,. Sweet and sour red cabbage, mushroom bean soup, Barscht, and kompot of prunes and apricots for dessert along with cookies an homemade candies.

Christmas Day breakfast will probably be French Toast.  Lunch and snacking throughout the day will be ham and rolls, and other appetizers or light foods.

Christmas main meal will be goose, ziti,  mashed potatoes, peas, cranberry sauce, rolls, chocolate pecan tart and a Dutch apple pie from Marie Callendar's.

When there were less of us for dinner we would have ducks for Christmas dinner.  We have seven for dinner now and that is too much for ducks anymore.

Edited by transientChris