Menu

Anybody have experience with naturally fermenting sodas and bottling/corking!

busymama7

Sorry I can't correct the explanation point on my phone for some reason.

My husband loves root beer and needs to cosume more good fermented things for his digestion. I saved some old root beer bottles from Chicago style root beer and was wondering if I can re use them for this. I have been googling but can't figure it out. What size cork would I need? The recipe I found goes in the fridge once the fermentation is enough so I think the thickeness/strength of the bottles won't be a problem but I've never done this before. I drew his name for Christmas so I need to make him a hand made gift and I'm really excited about this possibility. I'm hoping someone here knows something about this ;)

DS and Ds18 do lots of fermented drinks. They use plastic soft drink bottles. They are safer than glass. They can explode as well, but we have only had that happen in extreme hot weather. We keep them outside in a cupboard so the house didn't get messed up.

home fermenting in glass can be very risky in regards to over fermenting and blowing the bottles.

Dh does. In fact, he is collecting bottles now for a new batch. He usually uses 2L plastic bottles. So, we have a lot of sodas to drink so he can make root beer!  Anyway, he also has some fancy, smancy glass bottles he purchased strictly for root beering purposes. For those, he has a thingy that puts metal caps on them. He has never used corks. (The glass ones were cool. He made fancy, smancy labels to go on them. They would make a super-cool gift done this way.) But, yes, you can reuse the bottles. As far as thickness of glass...that could be an issue. The bottles he purchased are rather thick glass. I have no idea on cork size!

Thanks! I think I am just going to buy some bottles that are made for this. It's going to end up costing more but I'm pretty excited about this gift! I love coming up with stuff that is unexpected but fits the person really well.

Edited by busymama7