Menu

best probiotics for depression/anxiety?

Laurie4b

I've read that different strains of probiotics are better for some specific conditions. I have a loved one with treatment-resistant depression (is taking meds, but they are only minimally helpful. Gets professional help). This person also has Hashimoto's (which, undiagnosed, is what kicked off the depression but treatment for Hashi's did not reverse it.)  Never tried probiotics but is willing to. Recommendations? 

I have never heard of that comnection, but I think it's interesting. I don't know about specific strains but if you have a health food store nearby they often have a large selection. I bought some recently for my dad after being on antibiotics for a long time and opted for some with several different strands in large quantities. They can get pricey though. I prefer to buy them in store as some need to be kept cold and I worry bout potency if shipped.

The strain in Culturelle (L rhamnosus) has been used effectively in some anxiety studies (study? I don't remember/it's been a while).

Anecdotal, but my son's OCD related anxiety goes down significantly with Culturelle. That may be specific to him, but there is a clear connection.

Edited by sbgrace

The strain in Culturelle (L rhamnosus) has been used effectively in some anxiety studies (study? I don't remember/it's been a while).

Anecdotal, but my son's OCD related anxiety goes down significantly with Culturelle. That may be specific to him, but there is a clear connection.

Primadophilus also includes rhamnosus, but perhaps the strain in Culturelle has been tested more, overall and not just for anxiety.