Menu

The Story of Science by Joy Hakim--Questions, questions....

Alana in Canada

I just saw three volumes at the library and brought them home to examine. My goodness! They look fantastic!

Do you have them? Do you use them? How do you use them?

What ages are they suitable for?

Would it be all right to jump in the middle (to be in sync with SoTW) or should we begin with the beginning? Or should we wait another two years until we're back at Ancients again?

Tell me what yuou think--even if they didn't work out--for whateve reason! They look pricey and I don't want my enthusiasm with a shiny new toy to get the better of me!

Thanks!

We didn't keep at it but that was laziness. We loved them. My non science dd enjoyed me reading to her. I think it would be great to read them in sync with SOTW. My dc are a couple of years older than yours so I would give it a try and if it seems like too much try again next year. You could also use parts of the book that go along with your reading if the whole book is too much. I think I'll give it a go again!

Hi Alana,

We've just started Story of Science, but we are loving it so far! We started at the beginning with Vol. 1 (we're doing ancients this year), and we are using it with Ancient Science: 40 Time Traveling, World-Exploring, History Making Activities for Kids by Jim Wiese and History Scribe's 100 Famous Scientist notebooking pages. My history-oriented kid is loving this for science this year!

Have the chapters been correlated by anyone--or should I get working on that?

If a correlation exists, please let me know! I had hoped to combine it with SOTW as we go through.

We haven't done much with the science series yet. I did look at the guides that Johns Hopkins has that go along with them at a convention, but honestly I didn't see them as useful for homeschool use (at least at my son's level).

I just saw three volumes at the library and brought them home to examine. My goodness! They look fantastic!

Would it be all right to jump in the middle (to be in sync with SoTW) or should we begin with the beginning? Or should we wait another two years until we're back at Ancients again?

Tell me what yuou think--even if they didn't work out--for whateve reason! They look pricey and I don't want my enthusiasm with a shiny new toy to get the better of me!

Thanks!

They are fantastic! We have them all. We read them with SOTW. You can jump in the middle - and by all means do!

A small tip: Because there are so many different pictures and boxes, have your child read these BEFORE you read the core text in each chapter. if you are reading this to Grammar stage students, pre-read so you can discuss in depth some of the concepts. This book is better for Logic stage, imo. Don't forget to read living science books and biographies, you can learn even more about the people within.

A side note: We DO NOT outline from this book - I want to keep it as is, fun!!!!

A final comment: Hakim has an extensive series for your US studies as well.

Go with your instinct - get the series!

MagistraMom--I've been thinking these are better suited to Logic stage than Grammar. The outlining is a way to keep my son accountable--though there's so much in these it may not be a good idea. I don't know.

I would love some experiments to go with them--and some living books.

I'm glad you like them so much!

A final comment: Hakim has an extensive series for your US studies as well.

Magistra mom--please, take a look, a close look, at my avatar! :D

My son is using the first book as his spine this year. We're doing the ancients for history/literature, so we thought we'd do a year of "ancient science," too.

Alongside the Hakim book, he's reading the Science of the Past series.

He's reading six of them: Mesopotamia, China, Egypt, Rome, Greece and India. Here's a link to the listings at B&N: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?SID=178636

He'll also read Archimedes and the Door of Science and Galen and the Gateway to Medicine.

The Hakim book is divided into 30 chapters, which in convenient for us, since we have 30 full weeks of school this year. I put the other books in order so that they would roughly align with our science studies. Each week, he reads one chapter of The Story of Science plus about 25 pages of the supplemental reading.

For the hands-on component, we're using the same Jim Weiss book someone else mentioned. Each week, he chooses at least one activity from a chapter that goes with whatever he's reading that week.

I'm not having him outline, and I'm not doing any testing. Basically, after he does his reading each day, I just chat with him and make sure he understood and retained what he read.

And, because I just can't leave anything well enough alone, he's also watching lots of science-related videos from Netflix and whatever we can glean from cable. Toss in a few field trips, and that's the plan for the year here.

Edited to add: Ooops. I should probably have said that we don't use Story of the World, so I can't speak to how the Hakim books align with that series.

Colleen in SEVA:

If a correlation exists, please let me know! I had hoped to combine it with SOTW as we go through.

You know, I just sat down to try and do this--and noticed three chapters on Newton in Hakim, whereas SWB has only one--and he shares it with Locke!

So, other than saying "Start Vol. 2: Newton at the Centre" around chapter 26 or so of SoTW2" I'm not sure a correlation will be too helpful! Since we're on Ch. 29--I may correlate--but there's no way to follow it chapter for chapter.

SarahCB:

Well, she hates it, but it's really good outlining practice.

--well, at least now I know that if I get some resistence, it won't be entirely unexpected!

Hi Peela! (I think it is just too cool I get to talk to somone on the other side of the world and upside down, too! ;))

I'm finding I can't put it down. The side bars are really annoying, though. I'm not sure why. Perhaps they're just too dense--and most of the info is over my head. Maybe it's the global/linear conflict rearing its head again! I don't know.

If I do ask ds to read the book, I'll have to coach him through the first through chaters until he figures out his rhythm with them.

How do your dc manage them?

Hi Peela! (I think it is just too cool I get to talk to somone on the other side of the world and upside down, too! ;))

I'm finding I can't put it down. The side bars are really annoying, though. I'm not sure why. Perhaps they're just too dense--and most of the info is over my head. Maybe it's the global/linear conflict rearing its head again! I don't know.

If I do ask ds to read the book, I'll have to coach him through the first through chaters until he figures out his rhythm with them.

How do your dc manage them?

Yes, isn't the internet amazing? :)

I think the sidebars may have been an issue. Too much information.

I dont know, I suspect my kids are just not sciencey. I started to read the first book aloud, realised my son wasn't absorbing anything, then handed it to my dd to read to herself. She complained bitterly, and I dont like to make them read things they strongly dislike. A friend then told me her kids responded the same (and she doesnt have a problem getting her kids to read what they dont like but she let these books go ) so I let the book go too. But now it's another year or two later, they look really lovely sitting on my shelf, it seems a shame to waste them.

So many books, so little time. I may just let them go.If I scheudle them in, they will probably be independent reading because I will already be reading aloud too much. I will leave it up to them whether they read the sidebars.

Thanks!

That's what we've been doing. We read a few pages every day or two. So far it's been pretty interesting and I plan to keep with it. Dc here aren't going to be reading the Kingfisher history or science encyclopedias to themselves, so I'm doing the Story of Science as a read-aloud.

I think it mixes in well with the history and science they've already been exposed to and adds another "source" for more info. There are also study guides available for them (Johns Hopkins?) but that's more than we need at this point.

Hope you enjoy them.

I was poking around trying to see some sample pages from the books. On Hakim's website, it says that there are teacher guides & student guides for some of the History of Science series.

Here is a page that has samples from the teacher/student guides from Aristotle Leads the Way. Also, if you click on the For Teachers tab, you can see a different teacher guide sample.

Cool, Stacia. Thanks.

added after I checked the link:

OMIGOSH!! The student guide has experiments!! JennyinFL--have you seen this? I'm pming you right now!

I'm going to give my son a chapter of this to read--and maybe, outline next week. Please, please let this capture his imagination! (Today he was reading a book about Ants and said he had an idea for making Bugs Life 3. I wished I hadn't shushed him!)

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Here are the links for the Aristotle Leads the Way books. Then you can find the others from there. The student books don't seem too expensive but the teacher's guide is quite pricey. However, there are supposed to be cross-disciplinary connections, which makes me wonder about the possibility of using this as a spine for the logic stage and reinforcing everything with lots of biographies and other books.

http://www.amazon.com/Students-Quest-Guide-Aristotle-Leads/dp/1588342549/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221930185&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Teachers-Quest-Guide-Aristotle-Leads/dp/1588342514/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

Kristina