Menu

How to book on living in the country

Jennifer132

We built a house in the country (sort of). It sits on 13 acres and we have dreams of raising some animals, letting the kids roam free, etc. That said, both dh and I grew up urban/suburban, so we are learning as we go. Can anyone recommend (preferably a kindle version) a book that is somewhat of a rural living for dummies? For instance, what to do about mice or scorpions in the house, how to compost, what to do about seeing wild animals in the yard (coyote, snake, etc). We live in OK so not worried about any dangerous large animals like bear. Dealing with septic and well water, keeping the weeds down, etc. I know we are wet behind the ears, but I suppose everyone has to start somewhere.

Encyclopedia of Country Living:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1570618402/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448654838&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=encyclopedia+country+living&dpPl=1&dpID=51NnBhytX5L&ref=plSrch

(Sorry for annoying link, on my phone)

It is apparently available as a kindle version, but I can't imagine it being as useful or easy to use, and I am a die-hard ebook lover.

• Like 2

I have a big book with a large amount of topics. I don't live on the land, but remember the stuff from my childhood. This book is very interesting written by a woman who was doing it. She has passed on now, but I thought her stuff was right on. At least its a start.

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Country-Living-40th-Anniversary/dp/1570618402/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448654863&sr=8-1&keywords=country+living

oh my!! This book brings back so many memories.  I bought this book when it came loose leaf with 3 Rings attached to keep it together.  I think it was self-published and Ms. Emery mailed it to me herself.   I *loved* that book... cherished it.  Read and re-read just about every page.  Dreamed and hoped.. but it was not to be.  I have encorporated some of the things.   I was busy making my own bread when I got that book and I remember loving her advice on bread-making and chicken keeping (which I used to own).

But, I loved that book.  Sigh.   It got lost in a move or thrown away by accident (did I mention it is BIG). 

I like Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century. I don't know if it's on Kindle; it's the type of tome that doesn't lend itself well to digital format. But I love that book.

• Like 1

My grandmother gave me a very old copy of that book, and I loved it! (My copy is wicked old, and I think could use some heavy editing / indexing - I had a hard time finding things when I needed them, but maybe wasn't reading it correctly.)

We have also found the homesteading books by Storey Publishing to be *very* useful. (Just put "homestead storey" into Amazon. They are written from a Massachusetts perspective - aka, cold winters.)