Menu

I'm really over-using Dr. Hive--blood pressure

AnnE-girl

I've mentioned in other posts that I had questionable blood pressure during my pregnancy. I'd have spiked, then it would come down during monitoring in the hospital. I was tested twice for preeclampsia and then decided to induce at 39 weeks instead of doing another 24 urine catch.

On Sunday (four days postpartum) I woke up with bad headache that Motrin just took the edge off. I took my BP and it was consistently 150+/90-100 from them until this afternoon. When my headache still wasn't gone this morning I called my midwife's office and the nurse had me take it again while I was on the phone with her. I don't remember the exact reading, but it was high enough that I was told to immediately go to the ER.

In the ER they ran the usual tests for preeclampsia and did a cat scan to rule out stroke because my headache was concentrated on one side. Everything came out clear aside from a UTI and my BP went down to 130s/80s. The ER doctor said that it was low enough that he wasn't comfortable prescribing BP meds but to follow up with my family practitioner.

I'm just confused about what is going on. My BP will come down on its own, but those spikes obviously aren't healthy. I'll talk to my doctor next week, but I figured I'd ask for opinions and experiences around here in the meantime. I think I'll try the DASH diet and gently starting some easy exercise as much as I feel up to doing at this point to try to do something positive. Anything else?

Blood pressure can change over the course of a day due to a number of factors, including things like whether the cuff is too small (if your arm circumference is more than 13 inches, ask that they use the larger sized cuff), a full bladder will make the pressure go up, talking while your bp is taken will result in a higher reading (why nurses talk with patients during bp is a mystery), etc. BP also goes up and down with time of day.  I would keep tracking it and let your midwife know if you get high readings. I can't speak to pregnancy (never had trouble then), but I used to have high bp and the doctors did not get all excited about 150/90. My dystolic never got to 100, so I don't know about that.  Doctors do not typically medicate until you have several high readings in a row and many will recommend lifestyle changes first. 

The DASH diet is a good way to lower bp. Herbal teas made with hibiscus also have an effect on bp.(Many blends have hibiscus as the first ingredient.)  Regular exercise and losing some weight can also help. 

• Like 1

Take slow, deep breaths and sit or lie very still.  Don't move a muscle when it feels high.  Will yourself to relax until you can feel your heart beat.  Will your heart to slow down. Practice this when you're getting your blood pressure taken too.

Avoid caffeine.  Avoid salt.  Switch salt to lite salt (it has potassium).  Eat lots of vegetables, potatoes, and drink plenty of water.

• Like 1

I can't speak to pregnancy (never had trouble then), but I used to have high bp and the doctors did not get all excited about 150/90. My dystolic never got to 100, so I don't know about that.  Doctors do not typically medicate until you have several high readings in a row and many will recommend lifestyle changes first. 

The issue is that ecclampsia can strike even several weeks after giving birth, so they are worried about that, not just the blood pressure itself. 

• Like 1

The issue is that ecclampsia can strike even several weeks after giving birth, so they are worried about that, not just the blood pressure itself. 

Yeah, that's why I made a point about the "don't know about pregnancy" disclaimer and "keep your midwife informed." (Not arguing, just agreeing that it's an important distinction.)

I had preeclampsia and an emergency c-section with my third baby. My blood pressure stayed up/kept spiking after her birth.  My Dr. did start a bp med mostly to help with the terrible headaches. I was told that eclampsia could continue for up to a year. Mine suddenly resolved after 5 months when I became pregnant with my fourth. I didn't have any bp issues with him and haven't had any since. 

I hope you feel better. It's no fun at all to deal with, especially when you just want to enjoy your baby. 

• Like 1