Menu

How can I "elevate" my son's tastes in reading?

Alana in Canada

We made a terrible mistake: so concerned about the fact he wasn't reading when he was 8--we let him read anything he wanted. He went through Magic Tree house like a rocket and then found graphic novels.

Some of these are OK, like the Bone books, and others, fortunately, are not kept in the Children's section of the library so he hasn't seen the more objectionable (mature) ones.

But his taste is pap. His abilities aren't progressing. I want him to read Pyle's "Robin Hood" and Baldwin's "Son of Roland."--books like that--but I don't quite know how to get him from "Bone" to Baldwin.

Any suggestions?

oh--he liked Canterbury Tales by Geraldine MacEachern--but only if I read it to him.

PS: I will assign books to read to him and he will read them. I'm starting next week--but I have mostly non-fiction and a couple of easy picture books at the moment. We're doing Middle Ages and we're on the first few chapters yet.

Thanks.

First, I'd limit the number of "junk" books he's allowed to check out at the library. Second, I'd give him a list of acceptable books (and I think you should be realistic...the two books you mentioned are probably not going to be the best to start out with a 10-yr old) to choose from, and have him pick a certain number of those books. Third, pick a book you really want him to read (one of the two you mentioned would be great) and read it aloud daily.

Ask on the boards about good books to suggest to your son. Has he looked at the Redwall books?

Ria

This link has been posted previously: http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

I would start off with good books that might be a little below his reading level to let him get comfortable. Then as you guide him in the books to read, you can gradually increase the difficulty to get to the books you would eventually like for him to read.

Once my boys were reading well, I shut off the fluff. Magic Tree House had its place, but now we read good literature. If I didn't monitor their reading even now, it would be all Hardy Boys, Wishbone, and Star Wars. I do allow a little of this if we're on vacation and taking a long roadtrip, but I really try to limit the twaddle; just like I do the TV.

I borrowed cd's from the library of books I knew he would like if he gave them a chance.

Then I told him he could stay up a half hour longer if he listened to the cd's before bed.

For every 'mind candy' book he wanted to read he had to read a book of my choosing. I made sure to choose books that would appeal to him, and he soon began to trust my judgement.

(I was firm about this and refused to take him to the library with me until he agreed.)

I made sure to continue readalouds that were not related to school, but purely for the love of literature.

hth:)

They are allowed one comic-type book from the library at a time, no Goosebumps or Babysitters Club books and the like. They can choose books below their reading level if they wish (it does help to build fluency). Pleasure reading is done on their own time (my dd11 does it before bed and my boys when the mood strikes them :)). Other literature is chosen by me and read during school time. I try to choose books I think they would enjoy, but sometimes that doesn't happen. Sometimes I give them a choice of 2 or 3 but sometimes I just choose. These books are usually on reading level or above. Sometimes they are non-fiction and linked to our history or science and sometimes they are just good literature.

I buy books for my son that I think would be interesting to him, that I think are appropriate, and that will be challenging (but not too challenging). He has them in a pile in his room. He is required to read every evening before bed. He can pick a book from the pile.

Every so often I up the reading level of the books in his pile.

This works well for us.

Are YOU reading aloud to your son daily- books that are interesting and capture his imagination?

I would start there. Choosing exciting read alouds for you to read together... even one chapter a day.

The Pyle books are challenging... would he enjoy them if you read them?

You could also read together, you read a paragraph, he reads a paragraph.

Just some thoughts:

Rebecca

how much time do your dc read total each day? Do you require a "school related" book PLUS pleasure reading each day? Do you make pleasure reading a personal choice (only if they want to) or require it each day? My dd11 reads both for school and for pleasure (she loves to read). Ds9 would hardly ever read for pleasure unless it were his ONLY option! Ds8 is the same. They are both more active and would rather be outside skating, riding bikes, play basketball, etc. Ds6 has his moments when he sits down independently w/ a book. Just curious as I re-evaluate our school day and activities. I'm thinking about requiring 30min. pleasure reading before bed for all OR listening to a read-aloud.

We went "off school" for a very long time this fall and are only now getting back on our "school" feet.

Both my children read during their "off" hours. (PS--there's been no going outside for the past month. Much much too cold. All I have to do is limit their screen time and poof, he reads!:D)

So, I'm in the process of deciding how much and of what I'll require.

So far, reading has been for pleasure. That is, even when I "assign" it, I haven't made him do anything with it--no summaries, no narrations, no book reports. I realise now that that was a mistake, but then again, he really wasn't ready to hold a pencil that long! His perfectionism to "get it right" would also have killed any joy he had. So, I suppose I had my reasons, but things have changed--his tantrums when confronted with a word he can't spell have abated, he's cheerfully re-copying 1/2 page History narrations and he's dealing with beginning dictation quite well.

I am ready to stop coddling him--and I think he's ready to move on as well.

I plan on starting with a reading list of stuff he has to read in a week. I want summaries on some of the material (dictated to me, we'll do those together) and book reports for the others. (I have a form he can fill out, so he can do that independently).

I have next week's list done--and I really have no idea "how long" it will take for him to complete the readings.

It took him 10 minutes or so to read the Baily's "Good time Travel Agency" book on Ancient China--but he'd read it last year, too, he reminded me!

I like the idea of a basket in his room he can choose from to read before bed--but although I've given him books to read just before bed (in response to "I have nothing to read") he has ignored them and found something else (twaddle, grrr) on his shelves.

A bit LATE Sue in PA!! (after I bare my soul and all!)

Oh well, do post it to a new thread, I'd love to hear others' responses as well! :D

I just wanted to add--my wonderful husband has no idea what I'm concerned about. "At least he's reading," he says. They did both read about 1/2 of Pyle's Robin Hood last year and then stopped. My husband said it was boring, tedious and repetitive.:eek:

After a year and a hlaf of good intentions, ds has finally "taken me up" on my offer of a Pizza Hut pizza through PH's Book It program. I wrote about how I am using the reading incentive program on my blog here.

So, this year, I've got him reading for variety. Next year, I'll change it so that he's reading (1) longer books (2) better books (less twaddle, no picture books).

I know this approach isn't for everybody, but perhaps it'll give you some ideas on ways to structure his "free reading" time.

Jumping in with my .02 as a mom of older boys. My experience was that my boys realized good literature when they heard it or read it, and they loved it. They were always excited to get more of it. I read aloud, they listened to audio books or we checked out the good stuff from the library for them to read. I also never limited "twaddle" -- Magic Tree House, Animorphs, and X-men or Batman always were welcome in our house.

My oldest really doesn't like fiction, and has not turned into someone who reads for pleasure. My younger son reads all the time, especially sci fi and fantasy. I'm trying to think of what he read when he was 10. The Redwall books, Narnia, Harry Potter, Charlie Bone. The Scott O'Dell books are good historical fiction, and a big step up from Magic Tree House, as are the Avi books. He enjoyed listening audio books of Jules Verne, and loved listening to Sherlock Holmes this last year.

It just makes me sad when mothers fuss about "twaddle". I have my guilty pleasures in reading material and I enjoy the good stuff too. Let both kinds of books be available and don't despair. Your son's reading abilities and tastes will grow.

Sophia's approach sounds good to wean him off of them, as do some of the other comments. One thing we have done was to keep high quality books on our shelves, available all the time. This costs $$$, but I am sure of what my children are reading. Then, *I* am the one who goes to the library.

I don't let them browse the shelves--honestly the ratio of what *I* consider junk is so high on those shelves that I don't want them being lured. Most of what I take out from the library is non-fiction. They come with me to check books out that I have reserved, and sometimes I will let them browse the picture-book stacks. (Beats me, but they still enjoy doing that, as old as they are.) They still have to bring me each book for me to approve it, though. There's even some picture books that I'd rather they not read!

Well, I have spent the last few hours compiling books from on-line lists into one list on my computer, and some of the sonlight material looks like it might steer a nice middle course between books that make me pull my hair out and books that are waaay over ds's head.

I do read-aloud, but not as often as I should, I guess. We've got through some really nice books that way--the whole Narnia series (which means those are "out" now that he's reading on his own) and, oh, I can't think right now.

No, I don't actually mind the "twaddle" so much as I mind it becoming a habit--with nothing else thrown into the mix. I am afraid his tastes won't mature.

I barely read any decent books as I was growing up, and though I am a voracious reader, I approach the "classics" with great apprehension. They intimidate me--and I have a liberal arts degree! I'm looking forward to doing a "Great Books" course with the kids.

OK--so back to books on CD--if I can get them!

That's a great idea--we used to do it when he had troubles sleeping--so much so we've worn out two portable CD players. I'll have to get another one, too!

Thanks.

My 13yo is a strong reader (after a late start), but I recall that around age 10 his tastes were definitely leaning to the twaddle and he was very resistant to more literary titles, or anything that wasn't in the fantasy genre. I found that it helped a lot if I read aloud the first couple of chapters of a new book - he then found it much easier to open his mind and get interested in it. Then most of the time he would pick it up on his own and continue reading. (I'm finding I now have to do that for my daughter occasionally, who is nearing the same age.)

I've always required reading time before bed, and some things are off-limits for that time (game-related reading, graphic novels), but I will allow him to re-read favourite books at that time - it doesn't always have to be something new. I kept a good stock of interesting books available, and still do, as he can go through a novel every day if he has enough free time!

I didn't push too much, though. One of my few requirements was to read two books a month, chosen by our librarian for a homeschoolers book club. He used to fight me on this but it was a social activity he really enjoyed, and after 3 years of doing this he now enjoys the variety of titles she assigns.

One other thought: in your shoes, I'd hesitate to add too many additional requirements like summaries and book reports, because that just seems like a disincentive. Can you separate out the pleasure reading from the assigned titles that you will require to be narrated or summarized? Focus on the enjoyment of pleasure reading for it's own sake, and keep the written work for the few "school" titles rather than the pleasure reading.

Nikita

Good point Nikita, Thank you.

I was just planning next week and realised we're ready to start Aesop A--and so the two book reports and the two summaries I *wanted* for this week's history reading will be over-kill!

Poor boy hasn't even started writing yet!

So, I'll require verbal summaries of his history non-fiction material this week.

As well, I have Roland by Baldwin from the library. I think we'll have to sit side by side for that one--all of it, if that's what it takes!

For pleasure, I've assigned him one story a day from Lang's Arabian Nights. He read one last night...and couldn't resist coming to tell me about it!

Dear Alana,

My sons are younger than yours (oldest almost 8) but before when you first started this thread, I wanted to encourage you. You sound really hard on yourself for "relaxing" and allowing your son time to gain reading fluency. Even if that fluency was not with "classics."

I think the relaxed time accomplished what it needed to... he is reading and reading well. I wouldn't feel this urgent push to suddenly be "where you should be..." as if he never or shouldn't have needed that earlier time. He needed the time earlier to gain fluency... I would be gradual in changing gears... I think verbal narrations would be an excellent way to start him acting on his reading.

Don't be intimidated by the classics or any literature for that matter.

If you are planning your school now, because of not schooling earlier, I would focus on excellence in the academic subjects you will be covering like Aesop A- getting in the groove with those....

I hope this helps,

just trying to encourage...

it is amazing how much ground home school students can cover in a short time...

Rebecca

Thank you for the encouragement, Rebecca.

And thanks to everyone else too.

Here's what I've come up with for next weeK;

We're on Chapter 8, SoTW Middle Ages

The Story of Roland, one chapter a day. (as I mentioned, we'll do this is tandem)

Science in Ancient China.

It has six chapters--one per day.

Ancient Warfare: p. 47-52

Lon Po PO--a picture book fable from China

The Shell Woman and the King

(same vein as Lon Po Po)

Maples in the Mist

2 poems per day

Peace Walker by C.J. Taylor

39 pages, 5 pages per day

I have no idea whether this is realistic or not!

I had thought I might give him a "coupon" for an extra 15 minutes of screen time, per day, if he gets it all done.

I'm not sure about the "coupon" idea though....

As for "free reading"--other than "arabian nights" I'm stuck as to that too.

A friend of mine had a great suggestion. She (and then I) read aloud to our son for about 30 minutes a day from a good book. We did this until he was thoroughly "into" the book, and then we were "too busy" to read one day. We gradually weaned our children from us having to read it all to him. We did this with about 4 books, and by that time, he had become interested in good books.

OR, and I had no objection to this. Assign it and have him do a summary of the plot and character study of the main characters. Under penalty.

I agree with Ria, but I do want to speak up about comic books. My dad never let my sister and I have them, but he loosened up by the time by brothers came along. He required they read a chapter a day from books (my sister and I loved to read, so this was not an issue) but they also read lots and lots of Asterix comics. One of those 3 now has a Ph.D. and another one reads literary novels, so this approach didn't fail.

I also had a friend who let his strong willed son read comic books, and this son became a fabulous student--this friend had a Ph.D. in the philosophy of education (of course, were he still alive he might be shocked that I chose to homeschool!!!!) This son married a friend of mine who had an amazing head on her shoulders and wouldn't have married an intellectual slouc:Dh (the friend and his wife were a fair bit older than me, and my friend is 12 years older than her dh--as odd as this may sound, it just works.)

I don't like graphic novels, but I think a bit of comic book reading is okay. My sister and I would devour them at friends' houses when we were supposed to be playing outside.

Karin, you made me chuckle!

You folks have all helped me calm down considerably. I'm still going ahead with the above plan--today he spent every spare moment in front of one screen or another--and I realised that's a problem too. Couple that with reading junk and I was balistic.

This week, I tackle reading and writing. Once we see how that goes, we'll assess the screen time situation. He doesn't have a lot of opportunities during the week to spend in front of a screen--so, today was sort of a "binge."

Nonetheless, I'd be happier if he were reading Arthur rather than watching it!