Menu

If I want to give some nice coloring books and supplies as a gift . . .

Jenny in Florida

What fun things can I add?

My daughter likes to color. (It's relaxing, and she sometimes hangs things that come out especially well on her walls as cheap, pretty decorations.) I sent her one of those nice mandala coloring books a couple of months ago as a treat and included a good-sized set of nice-quality colored pencils.

We're considering giving her a package of stuff as a Christmas gift, too. (She'll be travelling in for the holiday and then flying back home. So, smallish, flat gifts that pack easily into her suitcase for the return trip are highly prized.)

I'm thinking of a set of watercolor pencils and another nice book or two. What other possibilities are there to expand on this concept?

Moleskin journal

Fun coloring book, like Unicorns are Jerks http://www.amazon.com/Unicorns-Are-Jerks-coloring-exposing/dp/1477468528

Elastic bookmark, either purchased or DIY

A nice brush or two to use with the watercolor pencils

A collapsible cup for water for watercolors while out and about (such as at the park)

Hinged frame that picture can easily be changed out, like this: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look-easily-interchangeable-ki-155548

• Like 2

She might enjoy a Zentangle book to make her own designs.

A good pencil sharpener

A kneaded rubber eraser

A pencil case if the pencils you purchased are in something flimsy.  The instructor of the colored pencil art class I'm now taking likes roll up cases such as these: 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

If you haven't already picked out your coloring books Michaels has a nice selection. Unfortunately they count as books so Michaels (at least here in GA) won't let you use a coupon on them. Ooh, I just found them on amazon. Dd is getting this cat one.

My dd likes having a blender pencil to use with her colored pencils. And she likes having everything in a carry case--like the ones used for scrapbooking paper or other storage case. (Oops, I just re-read your post stating small and easily packable, so nevermind on that carrying case.)

• Like 1

There are several coloring books in the entryway at our Barnes and Noble today. They are $7.98 each. I used colored pencils when I color in mine as I "watch" tv. Oh, don't forget a good metal pencil sharpener! I like the old fashioned school sharpeners best, but since they aren't portable, I also have a small pencil sharpener that can go with me. A pencil bag that can hold both the colored pencils and the pencil sharpener would be a nice addition - one with a wide opening so she can rummage around for the right color without dumping all of them out would be good. 

ETA: Books that are branded "Creative Haven" are from Dover and the paper weight and quality of the drawing is the same as any other Dover coloring book. 

Oh - that reminds me, if she likes a particular period of history or a particular scientific topic, don't forget to look the the Dover coloring books. They have quite a few of them at our AC Moore. 

Edited by TechWife