Menu

I didn't ruin her! (warning: Mom brag)

Pegasus

DD recently took an exam in her engineering science course. The instructor was disappointed in how the class performed on the test, with a class average score of 65%.  DD not only finished the exam earlier than anyone else, she scored a 96. 

We used many of the homeschool resources that folks on TWTM consider "light" or "non-rigorous."  It's gratifying to see that DD was well prepared for her college courses after all!

• Like 47

A true understanding is far more important than rigor.  With a true understanding (esp in math), many students can figure things out because they have the needed foundation.  High rigor can backfire if it comes without understanding as all that memorization ends up confusing students.

Understanding what is going on is critical. 

• Like 6

For those who like to be encouraged, middle son forwarded this e-mail he received from one of his Profs:

------------------------------ I removed names.

So, I just got this tonight from my Senior Seminar professor after giving my Final Topic Presentation.  Needless to say, it went very well :)

Love,

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 6:30 PM
Subject: Just wanted to say
To: 

Your presentation was really excellent. I don't often give students 100's because most presentations aren't totally flawless, but the one you gave today was. Awesome job!

--------------------------------------------

Homeschoolers can indeed hold their own with the best of the best.  

• Like 15

With a true understanding (esp in math), many students can figure things out because they have the needed foundation.  

Yes, I think this is key.  DD described the exam questions as being similar to problems they worked in class but each problem had a twist.  Anyone who was relying on memorizing the exact steps to solve problems was lost.  The actual math was simple enough but you had to have a true understanding how to apply it in the slightly novel problems presented.

Congrats to all the successful student stories!  Love to hear these.

• Like 1

Congrats to all the successful student stories!  Love to hear these.

I don't know the individual student in this next situation, but last night I was sitting next to a top eye doctor on my flight home.  He was heading to a meeting with Medicare honchos to discuss coverage allowed on a specific surgery to restore sight for those who had lost it.

But our talks morphed to other things and homeschooling came up.  He said he had met his first homeschooler ever (that he knew about - he acknowledged that). The doctor was part of an interview team accepting med school grads to a certain program.  He told me he was super impressed - homeschooled - oodles of "outside the box experiences," followed by a terrific undergrad and med school experience.  He then asked me if all homeschoolers were like that.   :lol:

I told him many are, but it all depends upon both the parent and the student.  IF the parents are involved, great things can happen, but there is just as much success in helping a LD student reach their full potential or pretty much for any student in finding their path in life.

Then we discussed parenting, public/private schooling, gov't intervention (both school and medical deals causing his trip), and more.

He also asked if there were people who dissed homeschooling, so we talked about that too.

But I digress.  In short, there's some homeschooler out there who is blazing the way for all of us coming behind.  IF you know one who fits the profile and they were recently interviewing for some program at Duke, I offer my thanks!  ;)

• Like 6

I told him many are, but it all depends upon both the parent and the student.  IF the parents are involved, great things can happen, but there is just as much success in helping a LD student reach their full potential or pretty much for any student in finding their path in life.

Wisdom.  I find so much wisdom on this forum.  

• Like 3

DD recently took an exam in her engineering science course. The instructor was disappointed in how the class performed on the test, with a class average score of 65%.  DD not only finished the exam earlier than anyone else, she scored a 96. 

We used many of the homeschool resources that folks on TWTM consider "light" or "non-rigorous."  It's gratifying to see that DD was well prepared for her college courses after all!

Great job, Mom! 

That's really interesting that it was considered "non-rigorous".  But your daughter's mind is rigorous!  ;)