Menu

What's a good price on one of the "Great Courses" these days?

I haven't bought one in a few years for school. Some years back I bought a bunch that were $30-40 with coupons, but they don't seem to be running as many specials of late.

The one I want is $50 today for DVDs, normally $375. Amazon has it for $75 new, and I've seen it for $30-50 used on eBay, but I'd prefer new. We've had some issues with used DVDs/CDs.

I might bite. That would be one purchase for 2016-20167 down.

It totally depends on the series . . . If that's the cheapest you've seen it, it might be a best price.

I've found that there are rarely situations where the price goes lower than the 'usual' sale price. 

The buy-two-get-one free deal is usually pretty good if you have three around the same price.

Yes, I'm probably going to do it. I've been watching for a few months, and that's the cheapest.

This is the only one I need for next year, and we don't need the subscription service at this point.

I'll mull it a little longer and do it this evening maybe.

• Like 1

If it's one that doesn't require video, check out their courses on audible.com. http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_hp_tseft?advsearchKeywords=great+courses&filterby=field-keywords&x=0&y=0Wehave gotten several for the price of one credit each (about $15). They have sometimes had selected titles in the special of the day (where I have seen them for as low as $5) or in the get 4 for three credit kind of deals.

We beta-tested the streaming service and liked the service itself, but I can't imagine paying $50 a month for it. I'd be happy to subscribe if it were more in line with Netflix or Hulu pricing.

• Like 2

Anything that is available on audio, I get on audible for under $8.

Sign up and get a free course, then get a course per month for $15 membership fee. Get bonus credits. Cancel membership and take their offer of 3 months at reduced price of $7.50 and get course per month. Use audible sales for more cheap courses.

No GC sale event has matched these low prices.

• Like 3

I generally buy when they are 70% off.  They have a big sale each year on Black Friday.  Often you can get 70% and a free bag.

One nice thing is that many classes will give you streaming free if you buy the DVD.  Then you can sell the DVD as new and un-opened.  I don't really like selling things on eBay, but I did buy a photography class and I gave the physical DVDs to my sister as a gift.

• Like 2

I generally buy when they are 70% off.  They have a big sale each year on Black Friday.  Often you can get 70% and a free bag.

One nice thing is that many classes will give you streaming free if you buy the DVD.  Then you can sell the DVD as new and un-opened.  I don't really like selling things on eBay, but I did buy a photography class and I gave the physical DVDs to my sister as a gift.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/all-types/on-sale-courses

some at 70% off

Edited by MarkT

Yes, the one I got is only on DVD and is no longer on sale. It was 85% off.

Physics is set for next year other than going through my science equipment to see if I need to buy anything. I had to decide because of the sale, and the need to figure out what 12th grade looks like. We have to register for some of her outsourced classes in December and January. She's going to do physics, modern literature, and rhetoric with me, and do the rest locally or online.

We're building on what her brother did last round, but I think the DVDs will be better than the old Conceptual Physics ones her brother used. Those were fine, but they were grainy and sometimes not as engaging because they're basically taped college lectures/demos. I sold them on eBay for what I paid for them.

For labs, we're going to use the Castle Heights program, which is more structured and better for at-home use IMHO.

I keep seeing the Great Courses come up in conversations here on WTM.  What are they?  Just lectures?  Or are they classes?  Why do people get them? As a supplement to a homeschool class?  Or as the entire class?  What about output?  Do you create your own essay questions or such based on the course, or is that included in the course? 

Should I start a new thread with these kinds of questions?

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I keep seeing the Great Courses come up in conversations here on WTM.  What are they?  Just lectures?  Or are they classes?  Why do people get them? As a supplement to a homeschool class?  Or as the entire class?  What about output?  Do you create your own essay questions or such based on the course, or is that included in the course? 

They're lectures and come with a guide as well. I use them as a supplement when I want to up the content up in an engaging way, and also for note-taking practice.

I watch them with my high schooler, and we both take notes. Then we look at the guide and discuss it.

Many libraries have them too.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

Their web site is: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/

They are often college professors who come into their studio and give the courses. They are not generally designed for homeschooling in particular; I think their biggest market is adult continuing education, but some can be a very useful part of a homeschool course from about middle school onward depending on the course.  You really need to look at the courses, the reviews, and how it might fit into your home school plan. A number of the courses are discussed in existing threads.  If there's one not covered where you have questions of how it might work in a course, start a new thread.

Edited by Brad S
  • Like 1