Menu

Lovely way to start my morning...or Adventures with Kitty

lynn

Kitty tries to run out the door every time she hears the door unlock or garage door go up. Dh and I were talking at the door, kitty dashes out under the car, ready to bolt out of the garage. It's cold this morning, I have comfortable pajamas on hoping no neighbors are out to see me for I was in a not so flattering way trying to get kitty from under the car. Dh tried to shut the garage door but it went back up so he tried it again while I watched for kitty, like I could catch her, what a sight that would be....no don't want to think about it. Garage door shut, kitty didn't run, she followed me in the house after her failed attempt at freedom to the great outdoors, only to be scheming her next attempt for when Ds leaves for school.

We are considering her to be an outdoor cat after she's spayed. She seems to always want to run outside and explore but I'd much rather keep her I doors.

• Like 1

It depends on the cat and the neighborhood. We had a cat growing up that was a garage cat--he lived in the garage and had free run of the outdoors. He lived to be like 18. But he was a big neutered male tabby, his granddaddy might have been a bobcat, he was so big. He graduated from catching waterbugs as a kitten to bringing home a rabbit at least once. The neighborhood dogs were afraid of him. He only ever had any problems when he was getting old and not so spry, and for a while my mom would have to close the garage to feed him, because strays were coming him and taking his food and he couldn't chase them off any more. Also the jay in the back yard tormented him when he was old.

We have a young kitty (not yet a year old) we adopted this summer, and she is totally indoor, but has recently started to make a break for the garage door every time we come in from the garage. We put down the door and it scares her enough to keep her from running out of the garage, but we feel it's only a matter of time before she is successful.

IME, once a cat gets a taste of outdoors, it's very hard to keep them indoors--lots of mewing at the door, discontent, etc. I think it's more natural but more dangerous to have an outdoor cat (have had both). I feel conflicted about it, actually.

:lol:  We had a cat like that. We learned a way of going in and out that must have looked very strange to anyone watching. Any of us entering or exiting would put one leg out and turn the foot sideways to keep kitty from getting out. 

On the rare occasions when he did get out and we couldn't find him (he was a master at quickly disappearing), he'd come back a few hours later and chastise us (by meowing at us for hours) for actually letting him get out. Then he'd lay in a comfy chair and plot his next escape.

I will never ever allow a cat to be an outdoor cat again after I lost my beloved cat along with a slew of other cat and small dog posters in our neighborhood showed that they were being lost to predators as well.

I'd rather her be an indoor cat and we are trying hard to find ways to keep her from running.

• Like 1

We have a young kitty (not yet a year old) we adopted this summer, and she is totally indoor, but has recently started to make a break for the garage door every time we come in from the garage. We put down the door and it scares her enough to keep her from running out of the garage, but we feel it's only a matter of time before she is successful.

IME, once a cat gets a taste of outdoors, it's very hard to keep them indoors--lots of mewing at the door, discontent, etc. I think it's more natural but more dangerous to have an outdoor cat (have had both). I feel conflicted about it, actually.

This exactly. It's a bit stressful having to plan our exits when we are use to coming and goingThere is not always someone home to keep an eye on kitty while someone goes out the door.