Menu

If you've had a phlebectomy, I have a question for you ...

creekmom

I went in today for a phlebectomy, and it was the most painful procedure I've ever experienced! He made 24 incisions up my leg to insert the numbing meds, and each one sent excruciating

pain through my body. I usually handle pain pretty well, but I was in tears by the time it was over. Is that normal? I keep thinking he should have applied a local anesthesia before cutting into the veins, but he never even mentioned it as an option. Nitrous oxide would have helped too ( and a bottle of hard liquor)! All they offered was a piece of gum and a ball to squeeze to help with the pain. It felt like a medieval procedure with all the cuts and yanking out of the vein. It really was traumatic!! Is it supposed to be so painful???!!!

Thank you for the compassion! I've been upset with myself all day for not asking for a local anesthetic before he started the incisions. I just assumed it was all standard procedure. When I go back in for the follow up, I'll ask why he didn't give me anything for the pain.

• Like 1

The general rule of thumb is numb the things you cut. There are some exceptions if the cut is small and quick because numbing shots can hurt like heck themselves, and sometimes you have to have several of them to numb one tiny area. There are also topical varieties available for surface incisions and such.