Menu

Laser printer

I have quite a few pdf books to print. Does anyone have a laser printer? Are they worth it? Right now I have an inkjet, it's pretty slow and one black ink cartridge prints about 200-250 pages for $15. The color cartridges are about the same, but I'm not sure how many pages I get out of them. 

My pdfs have color, but technically I could print them in b&w. Are laser printers worth it? If so, which one should I get?

I have a Brother laser printer and it's definitely worth it. It prints super fast, never jams or has any issues, and for a $40 toner cartridge I can print somewhere in the neighborhood of two or three thousand pages, depending on what I'm printing. You can also get generic cartridges on Amazon for more like $20, but I haven't tried one yet so I can't say if they're worth it or not.

• Like 3

I recently got an Epson ET-2550.  It's pricey, but doesn't use ink cartridges -- the ink is supposed to last for two years on average before refilling.  Previously, I had bought a cheap printer at Costco, not realizing that the ink cartridges couldn't be refilled and were really expensive.  It's already saving us money.

I have a Brother laser color duplex printer. I really love it.  I am not sure if the color option is worth it, as the cartridges are very expensive.   Definitely make sure it has an auto duplex option. Not all of them do, and some only have manual. I would say it is the most important function for printing books.

• Like 1

I have a Brother laser color duplex printer. I really love it. I am not sure if the color option is worth it, as the cartridges are very expensive. Definitely make sure it has an auto duplex option. Not all of them do, and some only have manual. I would say it is the most important function for printing books.

That sounds like mine. I have a Brother MFC-9340CDW and I LOVE it. The refills are about $100 per color (black, R, B, Y) each, but they last forever. It was an investment, but I was so tired of dropping $30 a month on ink with my mega-cheapy old Kodak.

ETA: You can print a few hundred pages on the toner that comes with this printer, so don't think you have to drop $400 on ink right away.

When our old laser finally quit I was talked into an inkjet so the kid would have cover for school projects. Big mistake. The printer was so bad I packed it for a return the same day it was purchased.

We got a Brother mutli-function machine (scanner, fax, printer) It is a MFC-L2700. B/W only, but I'm very happy to have crisp text, fast printing, and the cost per page is reasonable.

Bill