Menu

Everyone in Central Texas okay?

Violet Crown

Our town flooded again-- more businesses than homes this time... almost as bad/high as the Memorial Day floods.  

We were expecting a TOTAL of 2-3 inches and so far we've had over 9 inches-- with 5 of those in just ONE HOUR!

It started raining heavy around 7 just as I was taking dd to school...by 9 they had called off school and we had no way to get there to pick her up!  DH and I drove around and saw the water going over bridges and saw creeks that are normally low-to-dry filled and overflowing--and several cars stranded in low water crossings (luckily the people made it out safely)...very powerful. The rain let up a bit around noon and by 1:30 we were able to pick dd up...

We live on a hill--so no danger of flooding, however our roof could not keep up with the amount of water and we had 'rain in the kitchen' most of the day.

Our older dd's woke up to a tornado warning and are now under a flood threat---they are 1 block away from the evacuation line (they live close to a river).

Long day...

• Like 2

We're good. All the rain up in my area (7"+) had the added "benefit" of finding new leaks in the roof we hadn't known of. One of our creeks is rushing; the other just has some standing water.

We were thinking about taking the kids to Bullock Museum's Spooktacular tonight; alas, however, that's out as we can't risk not being able to drive back home.

How are you?

• Like 1

We were fine, but the idiotic* administration at Big State U. declared that classes weren't cancelled, because "while conditions are wet and at times windy, there is no serious weather threat at this time." Meanwhile the campus PD was closing down parts of east campus where the creek was flooding. One of Great Girl's friends posted the university's announcement on Facebook under a photo of cataracts pouring down the steps from the main building onto the Mall.

So dh had to go in today on his bike--the buses weren't running reliably--despite the flooded roads. To teach classes nobody showed up for.

*I use such a strong word only because at the sight of a few snowflakes they shut down the entire university. Tornado rotation sighted at the southeast end of town? Stop whining and come to class.

We had 2 buses with a few students who needed to be rescued from an area that is known to flood easily. We had over 6" of rain by 7:30.

Here's my rant: I don't usually mind the rain, but last weekend the forecasters kept telling us we were going to get 8-10" of rain. We actually received only 2-4" from Friday to Sunday morning in gentle rains spread throughout the weekend; I'd cancelled driving out of town to see dd for the weekend because of all this hard rain they predicted that didn't come nearly as hard as we were told. I believe when the forecasters overemphasize a weather event and it doesn't pan out, fewer people take their warnings seriously. I also wish sometimes the forecasters wouldn't rely only on what the computer models say; actually looking at the radar and seeing there aren't any storms nearby or moving in our direction likely means it's not going to rain for awhile. End rant.

• Like 1

Aaaa! You're not in administration at Big State U. are you? It was nothing personal.... :D

LOL! No, I don't live where Big State U is located. One was an elementary bus with special needs kids on it. I'm not sure how old the students on the other bus were, most likely elementary or possibly middle school. All safely rescued.

(BTW, I agree they should've cancelled school! Sounds like the right hand didn't know what was happening with the left hand.)

• Like 1

Our house is up on a hill at almost the highest point.

My friend's daughter's district delayed school, but by the time they did, the buses had already picked up kids.  She ended up sitting on her bus stuck because the road was basically a river for three hours.  So many buses were stuck on roads on the way to schools that they eventually cancelled school in the district.  The rain eventually let up so the buses were able to get to schools where a lot of parents picked up their kids and the rest were bused home once the roads were totally clear.

We're expecting more thunderstorms tonight.

• Like 1