Menu

Fun things to do in Tulsa?

MEmama

The Jenks Aquarium is neat.

Philbrook Museum or Gilcrease Museum if you're into art

Tulsa Oilers hockey at the BOK Center

There might be a good concert at the Brady Theater or Cain's Ballroom.

Route 66 Marathon is the weekend before Thanksgiving.

I'm in OKC, so not terribly familiar with Tulsa.  

Lana

• Like 2

Philbrook Museum is beautiful, but the grounds are the most impressive part, and this might not be their best season. (Full disclosure: that's where I got married.)

Gilcrease museum is an excellent example of Western art; not my favorite style but an important, impressive collection.

Utica Square is a beautiful shopping center, with some upscale dining options. If you are there after Thanksgiving, it will be decorated for Christmas, and that's fun for the kids. Santa's house is there, too :-)

The Jenks aquarium and Tulsa Children's Museum are both fantastic, although the latter is definitely geared toward younger kids. (Sorry, can't see if you have a ages in a siggy on my phone.)

Downtown has some wonderful Art Deco architecture, which is worth driving through to see. Boston Avenue Methodist church does a tour of their building once or twice a week; other buildings might, too.

Dilly Diner downtown is a super family friendly restaurant; great for breakfast or lunch. If you need other restaurant suggestions, feel free to PM me where you are staying and what you might be looking for, and I'll pass on some suggestions.

Have fun in my hometown :-)

ETA: not a lot of great, local hiking, but there's little Turkey Mountain. Also, there are miles if trails along the Arkansas River (Riverside) great for walking/running/biking. They are building a new park along part of Riverside, so that might affect some of the trails.

• Like 2

Thanks for the ideas. We'll be there in November but miss the marathon. Maybe there's a 5 or 10k my son can run.

I'm not sure what to plan for the weather. I know it's a lot more up and down than where we are. A little bit of everything, I guess? MIL keeps her house around 85 so I'll need layers. :)

ETA: DS is 12. Past the science center age I'm afraid, though his younger cousin might like it. I'll look into the aquarium for sure!

There is an Air and Space Museum there with a planetarium. That's what we chose when we went to Tulsa last summer. There were stairs and such that might not be good for limited mobility persons, but most of the museum is on the ground floor. Oh and we went ice skating and bowling. :)

• Like 1

There is an Air and Space Museum there with a planetarium. That's what we chose when we went to Tulsa last summer. There were stairs and such that might not be good for limited mobility persons, but most of the museum is on the ground floor. Oh and we went ice skating and bowling. :)

Great! I didn't know there is a planetarium. Will have to check that out!

Yes, definitely add the Air and Space Museum.

If you don't mind a drive out of town (about 2 hours), you could visit Tallgrass Prairie Preserve.  Lots of trails and an interesting visitor's center.  Alternately, about an hour away is Woolaroc in Bartlesville.  This is more of a drive-thru wildlife park (?) with a small museum.  Fine for limited mobility; we used to go with my wheelchair bound grandmother, and she could enjoy most of the trip with us.

• Like 2

My mom and dad got married in Boston Methodist Church. :)

Philbrook Museum is lovely, even in the winter. It is close to Utica Square, so you could tour the museum then have a meal or snack at Utica Square.

There is also the SherwinMiller Museum of Jewish Art: http://jewishmuseum.net/

Tulsa is a lovely little city. If you have more than a day, then I suggest going to Tahlequah and visit the Cherokee National Museum.

There is a several mile long trail next to the Arkansas River. We used to walk, jog, and bike there.

http://alltrails.com/trail/us/oklahoma/tulsa-river-parks

• Like 2

Thanks for the outdoor suggestions, too. We'll be deep in the suburbs of Broken Arrow and will need to escape at some point. :) I'd like to see the river--that sounds great!

In Broken Arrow there is:

BassPro if that's your thing

There is a performing arts center and a community playhouse in broken arrow. (Neither are as big as some in Tulsa, but not as expensive, crowded, or far away either.)

Downtown broken arrow is quite nice to stroll the shops, the Backyard Market meets once a month and can be interesting.

There's a cigar bar place... Not my thing, but apparently it's popular.

There's also a painter studio where they show you how to paint a large-ish painting and have wine (if you want) and snacks.

Ray Harrel Nature center is a lot closer and more sedate than Turkey Mountain.

Corn mazes and pumpkin patches are in season too. Not all of them scary haunting ones.

• Like 1