Menu

Phonics: AAS, Phonics Road or ABeCeDarian?

kindermommy

Hi all!

I'm new here and new to homeschooling :) (this is a GREAT forum BTW!)

A little background: I have two kiddoes - DD is 5 and DS is 4. I was a public school teacher for 10 years (elementary level) prior to kids and HS and am so thankful to have the chance to HS - I am very passionate about it!

DD is reading simple BOB books - she has a sight word bank of probably 20 words and can decode CVC with ease. We started with 100 EZ lessons (on lesson 6) and despite some of the great reviews I've read I also have concerns.

I've read that there are gaps and that bothers me - I don't want the mission to be to get her to read "as soon as possible" in a functional way and then leave areas where we have to fill in. And frankly, the program text and layout is so dry and boring (I can't believe the kids are supposed to use the book - it's so overwhelming and distracting even if I am pointing to the part they are supposed to read) I also don't like the "fake" letters they use. the e with the line over? the little e? ugh. It seems to me that there has to be a more real, systematic way?? (but maybe I'm just clueless! LOL)

So I've been looking for something more child-friendly and comprehensive. I love the idea of teaching spelling along with reading - it totally makes sense to me. So I've narrowed it down to:

All About Spelling

The Phonics Road to Reading

AbeCeDarian

I've studied the scope and sequence of each of these programs (well ABeCeDarian just has a general description) and I've looked at sample pages, dvd intros, etc etc. And I like them all for one reason or another. I think at this point I can't know anything more without actually trying them out, but I am very nervous to "throw the dice" when it comes to reading instruction. So I thought I'd ask for some advice here :)

FWIW, I am very laid back about other subjects in general at this age, but DD is READY to read and I've seen too many children with reading issues in the PS, so phonics/reading is a huge huge deal for me.

Thank you for any help!!!!!!

P.S. we are hoping to be using SOTW and/or TOG next year - I love love love history! We are just trying to take it a little slower this year - I get overwhelmed easily! LOL

All About Spelling is not an appropriate approach to teaching reading, IMHO. The program moves at a very slow pace and even at the end of level 2 they are only around 45 of the 72 basic phonograms. As you are probably aware, reading level usually far surpasses spelling capabilities.

I can't comment about the others. My favorite phonics program is Sing, Spell, Read, Write level 1. By the end of the program, they are on a solid 2nd or 3rd grade reading level including words like chandelier, Philadelphia, etc.

May I ask what "gaps" you are worried about? These programs IMHO are very expensive. Have you looked at Phonics Pathways. There is a section in the back of the book that that tells you how to start incorporating spelling when you get to page 51 in the book. Unless you for see your dc having problems learning to read she might get bored with the programs you are looking at. Kids learn to read faster than they are able to write and spell. WTM suggests that your begin spelling after your child is reading. Learning to spell after reading is only going to reinforce what she has already learned.

You're probably going to find out that you don't have to do all the work you had your classroom do to teach your child. You can get done in 10 mins what it took you 30 mins to do with a classroom full of kids. If your child understands, you can go on to the next level. You don't have to keep reinforcing the lesson trying to make 20 kids understand.

It seem to me you are trying to find a program that is similar in nature to programs written for a classroom full of kids. You don't need all the "busy" work.

I think you are going to have a lot of fun teaching your children

Thanks so much for the replies Ladies :)

I thought AAS was a spin off from Spalding/Orton-Gillingham?? Or maybe I am confusing The Phonics Road....I've read so much lately :)

I do like that the Phonics Road is a *complete* program - grammar, writing, phonics, spelling.

I do know that reading comes faster than spelling, but I know I've read multiple testimonials about AAS being great for teaching kids to read.....and looking at the scope and sequence, it seems it would. Although it is still all a bit "gray" for me, because even though I was a teacher I never taught lower than 2nd grade, so it's really new for me :) :)

Thanks again...

Tabrett -

Honestly, I've read so many reviews of 100 Ez lessons, and I can't remember the specifics of the gaps, but that comment was repeated over and over.

I'm not looking for a classroom type program - not at all - and just to clarify, I never taught children to read from the very basic steps. I had 2nd graders up to 6th graders and thankfully, they knew how to read (some obviously better than others, but still) Plus, that was 10 years ago (and since my memory is pretty much shot since having children, I can barely remember things that happend last month!LOL)

What I'm looking for is something that just doesn't leave us backpeddling. Maybe 100 EZ won't. But I've just seen in too many reviews that it does. I've also seen many that loved it, but just too many that didn't. And now that I've tried using it, I just can't bring myself to pick up the book - it's so dry and boring!

I'm going to ck into Sing spell read and write - and maybe some other less expensive programs too. (the reading lesson?)

AAS is based on Orton-Gillingham and I agree that AAS has made my dd a better reader in the short time we have used it, but that said I don't consider it a beginner phonics program. The first step teaching all 26 letters and thier sounds, a beginner phonics program would break that up a bit. You could used something like Phonic Pathways, Hooked on Phonics, 100EZ Lessons or Ordinary Parent's Guide for Reading and then move into All About Spelling. I hope that helps you!

Yes, that does help! Maybe I should get the OPGTR or the book by Valerie Bendt (can't remember the title) and then get AAS to use immediately after?

I found one of the testimonials that led me to consider AAS for reading instruction - I know there are more, because it would have never made it on my list without seeing that ALOT LOL :) :) Not trying to prove it right or wrong, because I truly have no clue, but I didnt' want anyone to think I was crazy for considering it for phonics LOL.................

(from homeschoolreviews.com board)

"AAS definitely teaches reading. I asked the author specifically about that and she said she uses that is the method she uses to teach reading. My dd4 is on step 11 of Level one and she is reading now."

Also, everyone seems to say it is an "easy" (for the teacher) version of SWR (which is a phonics program, right?) I also like the guarantee (you have one year!)

so much to think about - it's exhausting!

Thanks so much for the replies Ladies :)

I thought AAS was a spin off from Spalding/Orton-Gillingham?? Or maybe I am confusing The Phonics Road....I've read so much lately :)

I do like that the Phonics Road is a *complete* program - grammar, writing, phonics, spelling.

I do know that reading comes faster than spelling, but I know I've read multiple testimonials about AAS being great for teaching kids to read.....and looking at the scope and sequence, it seems it would. Although it is still all a bit "gray" for me, because even though I was a teacher I never taught lower than 2nd grade, so it's really new for me :) :)

Thanks again...

Yes AAS is a Spalding spin off, and is also using some O/G methods. So does Phonics Road and Spell to Write and Read (SWR).

I am in the crowd who doesn't care to use them to teach how to read, though I ADORE them for teaching spelling. (I use SWR).

Why?

Because all these methods will being having the child learn all 70 ish phonograms all at once. Many have multiple sounds. That is just a TON to throw at a child with little reward. It does work great for some kids learning to read. I would guess ones with great memory skills and auditory learners.

I prefer more traditional methods that teach short vowels, blends, long vowels, syllables, diphthongs, suffixes and prefixes over 2-3 years one step at a time (Spaulding will teach A says /a/ as in ape, /A/ as in bake and /ah/ as in father all at once). Once more if you go to a phonics based spelling system, like one of the above, then you don't need to worry about gaps, because the spelling system will catch those.

My favorite is Sonlight LA. LA K works with one letter sound a week, and reading CVC words, as well as writing beginning words, capitals, periods and rhyming. LA 1 will continue to work on CVC words (having them read a 2-3 page story with few pictures in just a few weeks), and add blends then about 2/3 of the way through introduces long vowels. They work heavily in word families as well. By this time they finish LA 1 child is reading Dr. Seuss books easily. LA 2 then covers syllables, diphthongs, prefixes and suffixes. I have used the option, but scheduled Explode the Code books all the way through, but I have 3 solid readers after using Sonlight.

But I think a lot of programs could work, it is just a matter of finding what works best for you AND your child.

Heather

p.s. I start Spaulding in about 2nd grade, before they finish reading phonics instruction. By then they usually know enough sounds that they have no problem picking up the rest. The spelling starts out easy, but that makes the child feel like they are a good speller. Great way to start.

Heather,

thanks for all the info. I can see what you are saying - teaching all the sounds of a particular letter does seem pretty overwhelming to throw at her all at once - but the way you described SL's LA sounds too slow for her.....what you are describing that she would do in LA 1, she already does (unless I didn't understand correctly or there's more to it)

I think I may actually stick with 100 EZ (gasp!) and get through it and then start one of the AAS/SWR or Phonics road. It could still be this year that we start one of those and I could catch any gaps during the same year.

I am probably overthinking this, but like I said, phonics/reading is something I kind of obsess about. I should probably just give 100 EZ more of a try (we're not very far in it :) :))

thanks again!!!!!!

Also, everyone seems to say it is an "easy" (for the teacher) version of SWR (which is a phonics program, right?) I also like the guarantee (you have one year!)

Technically, SWR is not a "phonics" program. Like Spalding, it teaches children to read by teaching them to spell.

I wouldn't say that AAS is an easy version of SWR, because it isn't nearly as comprehensive as SWR (or Spalding). And it does have major differences (e.g., not teaching all of the sounds of each phonogram at one time, using the letter tiles instead of having the dc *write,* which is a major element of SWR).

Ellie,

so AAS does not teach all the sounds of a phonogram at one time? Or were you talking about SWR? sorry, I am getting really confused LOL

We are using HWOT so will buying a program that includes a writing curriculum (like phonics road or SWR) interfere with that?

I think I just need to *see* these programs in person - it's impossible to really know from looking on the web or even reading reviews. At least AAS has a one year return policy.

I wish I could find more people using ABeCeDarian....

thanks for your input - I really appreciate it :)

so AAS does not teach all the sounds of a phonogram at one time? Or were you talking about SWR? sorry, I am getting really confused LOL

From AAS's Web site:

Why doesn’t the program teach all 72 phonograms in the first few months of instruction?

In the All About Spelling program, students learn the phonograms as they are needed. To ensure mastery, each phonogram is used extensively after it is introduced, which suits the needs of both young beginners and older remedial learners.

Some parents do choose to teach all 72 basic phonograms before they are formally introduced in the program, and that is completely acceptable. For some children, though, it may be too much. Each child is different, and the parent is the best judge of what is the right pacing for their child. AAS offers a variety of games to facilitate review, keep the material interesting for the student, and provide additional opportunities for practice.

We are using HWOT so will buying a program that includes a writing curriculum (like phonics road or SWR) interfere with that?

Yes. If you use Phonics Road or SWR (or WRTR, my recommendation) you won't *need* HWOT.

I think I just need to *see* these programs in person - it's impossible to really know from looking on the web or even reading reviews.

This is true, although I did improve, over the years, in my ability to look at something and know pretty darn quick if it would work for me or not.

I wish I could find more people using ABeCeDarian....

Yabbut can't you order one of the books and read it cover to cover, then return it? It doesn't look *bad* to me--it is true phonics--but again, it isn't as comprehensive as the others; also, I just *like* the Spalding methodolgy :-)

From AAS's Web site:

Why doesn’t the program teach all 72 phonograms in the first few months of instruction?

In the All About Spelling program, students learn the phonograms as they are needed. To ensure mastery, each phonogram is used extensively after it is introduced, which suits the needs of both young beginners and older remedial learners.

Some parents do choose to teach all 72 basic phonograms before they are formally introduced in the program, and that is completely acceptable. For some children, though, it may be too much. Each child is different, and the parent is the best judge of what is the right pacing for their child. AAS offers a variety of games to facilitate review, keep the material interesting for the student, and provide additional opportunities for practice.

That is good to know. And it explains why it uses word families, because it is working on specific sounds.

Heather

Tabrett -

Honestly, I've read so many reviews of 100 Ez lessons, and I can't remember the specifics of the gaps, but that comment was repeated over and over.

I'm not looking for a classroom type program - not at all - and just to clarify, I never taught children to read from the very basic steps. I had 2nd graders up to 6th graders and thankfully, they knew how to read (some obviously better than others, but still) Plus, that was 10 years ago (and since my memory is pretty much shot since having children, I can barely remember things that happend last month!LOL)

What I'm looking for is something that just doesn't leave us backpeddling. Maybe 100 EZ won't. But I've just seen in too many reviews that it does. I've also seen many that loved it, but just too many that didn't. And now that I've tried using it, I just can't bring myself to pick up the book - it's so dry and boring!

I'm going to ck into Sing spell read and write - and maybe some other less expensive programs too. (the reading lesson?)

Oh, I see you are looking for an "all in one" LA program, not just a phonics program. 100 ez lesson is defiantly not all in one.

If you don't mind Christian Curriculum's, check out My Father's World k. It teaches phonics biased on the blend latter (Ba,be,bi,Bo,bu), it uses a multi sensory approach. It incorporates handwriting, science, bible, math, phonics and music all into one. You might like it!

If you want to use RS math, you can just not buy the math manipulative's. Also look at their 1st grade material and see if you like where it is going with the reading. The first grade reading moves pretty fast.

Also check out LLATL. It is also a complete LA program. It doesn't have a K program. but your dd may be able to do the 1st grade program.

Both programs us a more "hands on" approach.

I am using AAS Level 1 right now and it does teach all of the sounds of each phonogram when each one is introduced. It just doesn't introduce all phonograms at once.

Also, once you get past the first few steps - writing is definitely involved. AAS just has you ask your child to spell using the tiles FIRST. Then you are supposed to ask your child to write the same words down. STarting in step 11 they write down dictated phrases or 2 or 3 words using concepts that have already been taught.

Technically, SWR is not a "phonics" program. Like Spalding, it teaches children to read by teaching them to spell.

I wouldn't say that AAS is an easy version of SWR, because it isn't nearly as comprehensive as SWR (or Spalding). And it does have major differences (e.g., not teaching all of the sounds of each phonogram at one time, using the letter tiles instead of having the dc *write,* which is a major element of SWR).

You may be able to get a closer look at some of your choices at the library. We borrowed Hooked on Phonics K last week and love it! I've also loved using My Father's World K and 1 with my oldest. She is an EXCELLENT reader. DS has enjoyed some of Phonics Pathways...we're just starting the blending exercises. We also checked out some BOB Books at the library. So, we just use a bit of it all to keep him from getting bored and to reinforce what he's learning in a multitude of ways. He is doing wonderfully and he's only 4! Also, a HUGE help were LeapFrog DVD's. (Letter Factory, Word Factory, Storybook factory...) Even my almost 2 year old can ID names and sounds of a few letters already after watching them.

I HIGHLY recommend MFW K and 1. I wish I would have gotten that again instead.

Of those three, the Phonics Road is much more comprehensive, as it teaches dc to read by teaching them to spell.

However, my recommendation would be the "mother" of the Phonics Road: Spalding. (I knew Barbara Beers when she was a Spalding user.) The manual for the Spalding Method is the Writing Road to Reading.

And this is at my local library!!

Have you seen this website? http://www.donpotter.net/ There are free programs here!!

Thank you so much everyone - I have learned so much just in the short time since I posted - you've all been very helpful (and convincing!)

Lovedtodeath - I did see the don Potter site! I bookmarked it and haven't had time to look at it yet, but I will. I saw a post somewhere that said "don't spend any money!" (on a phonics program) and then linked to that site! LOL I will also ck out the WP LA. I actually was really impressed with WP's samples and want to read more about it. I actually plan to start the WTM/SOTW/TOG next year most likely, but for this year, we are looking at MFW (although I don't need such a complete program b/c I have HWOT and RS math that we are doing well with), Sonlight, FIAR or WP (yes we are still picking a main/spine program for the year and it's September! LOL But I should have that picked and in by October! LOL)

hmschooling - we are huge LEAPFROGgers here! LOL I credit that program with both of them knowing their letter sounds by 2/2.5! We are headed to the (not so great) library near us today and I'll see if they have HOP! I'd love to see it.

Jennay - thanks for the info on AAS - are you on the yahoo group? I think I am still drawn to this program because I really think it's right for DD (continuing to learn phonics with phonetic spelling too) She is ready to write and wants to every day. We have a spiral notebook we titled "words I can read!" that I write down every word she reads and decodes automatically. She loves reviewing the list (esp b/c it keeps getting longer) and now wants to write them all.

Tabrett- you know I guess I am looking for an all-in-one - if I was just looking for my son, I wouldnt' be having this conversation. He is so different. But I really think DD is ready for more than 100EZ has to offer. I mean, I think it's a good program, but I don't think it's enough for HER. I may continue it with DS though, although it would be nice to have them both on the same program, even if I have to modify DS's. I'll ck out LLATL. I worry about the blend technique (CV) being taught first though for reading since the vowel sound usually is determined by whatever comes AFTER it in a word, not before. But who am I to argue with so many wonderful reviews and results with MFW phonics - I'll ck it out some more.

Ellie - thanks for the info from the AAS site - I know I've read that, but it's easier to see it taken out of context and explained ;) I agree over time I am getting better at being able to tell just by looking at stuff, but I still have a long way to go. :) I agree that I think I just like the spalding design/method better. I really don't want to give up HWOT though. So I hope it's easy to integrate it.

thanks again everyone!!!!

Just wanted to mention that with MFW, once you do Phonics is K and 1, you have a solid, independent, fluent reader. :o) With many of the others, you have K, 1, 2 and sometimes 3 and 4 to go over phonics. We left MFW K and 1 not only with a dd that could read VERY well at age 5, but also with incredible comprehension and a love for reading that can't be beat. My dd turned 4 that June and we started her in MFW K that August. It's something your children could do together being so close in age without it being too hard or too easy for either. Leap Frog Fridge Phonics did most of the teaching for me with dd without my realising it though, so she was plenty ready for learning to read with MFW K.

We're on a tighter budget this year, so after getting a higher level of MFW, I didn't have enough to get the K or 1 program for ds. So, that's why we're using other programs with him. We LOVE LOVE LOVE MFW! That would be my top pick. Next in line, ds is really enjoying HOP. If it weren't for those LeapFrog DVD's though, it would be a long road. LOL

You can usually find used MFW K on ebay, amazon, etc.

Happy hunting!

I really like the idea of getting to a solid reader by end of first grade. Phonics in 4th grade sounds dreadful.

When I taught 2nd grade 10 years ago, I remember the students who could read really well in my second grade class (like 4-6th grade levels) and then those that were still on Primer level - and I wondered what had made the difference????? They all had gone to the same school so they had the same curriculum, so it must have been how that curriculum had met (and not met) their learning styles.

So I think I will just go with my gut. Like I said in a previous post, if I was looking for reading/phonics for DS, I wouldn't be looking at spelling programs (at least not right now) - he's not ready for that. But I *really* think DD is :) When she had just turned 5 she was already writing sentences and words with "invented" spelling - but she could do words like "beautiful" and write BUTFL - so even almost a year ago she was hearing beginning, middle and ending sounds in words. She is also obsessed with spelling words right. I tell her to sound it out now and she wants to know the RIGHT way. LOL

Thanks (and Ill look at MFW more)

I know you have a concern with cv being taught first because you have to look at the rest of the word to know what sound the vowel is going to make. But I want to tell you a story about what happened with my oldest dd.

When I started teaching her to read, I used HOP. It teaches phonics using word families. My dd is very aural. I would help her sound out the first word in a "word family" list and she could "read" all the other words in the list. HA--- She wasn't reading. She was looking at the first letter and rhyming.

Ex:

/an/

an

can

man

fan

tan

She was not "looking" at the individual parts of the word. She did not "see" individual parts. She knew all the sounds and phonograms and could tell them to you individually, but did not have word attack skills. She struggled with reading until she was about 10. She was probably dyslexic. I would suggest, if you suspect your ds might struggle in any way with read (I'm not talking about being dyslexic, just struggle), to teach reading by blending ladders (be,ba,bi,bo,bu).

ex:

bat

beg

bib

bop

bum

It doesn't have the child reading as fast as word families, but this method makes the child really LOOK at the word. A child is not able to rhyme or guess words with this method.

When I started looking for phonics program for my younger dc, I too was worried about problems that children could have by being taught with the blend ladder method(cv first). So I asked people on this forum if they had had ran into problems teaching cv first. Everybody replied that when their dc were introduced to long vowels, their dc did fine. No problem. Also Abeka (a lot of Christian schools use Abeka) and My Father's World uses this method and people RAVE about their reading programs. Phonics Pathways also uses this method and it was the method that the old version of WTM suggested (before SWB wrote OPGW).

My younger dd will be 5 in October and we have been using Phonics Pathways. The first 23 instructional pages are short vowel sounds and blending ladder pages. We finally got to cvc words TODAY and she was READING words. I mean really using the decoding skill that had been taught in the book. There were 10 words to read and she was able to read them all. And none of them rhymed:D. (the word were-sat, set, sip, sob, sun, jam,jet, Jim, jog, jug). What I mean "by reading as fast as word families" is-the book suggest that your dc NOT read a decodable reader for 12 more pages. I do one page a day so that is about 2 1/2 weeks from now. She could probably read a Bob book, but PP's doesn't want child to read a book yet. By the time she does 12 more pages, she will have decoded around 150 cvc words and learned the sight words "a" and "I". I have a feeling that she will fly through cvc readers!!!

I just wanted to tell you this so you wouldn't be afaid teaching cv first would cause problems.

Thank you Tabrett!!!! That is a great story and you are right, so many people do love MFW and I hear good things about phonics pathways alot :) I am kind of looking for something for him, should I choose not to use 100 EZ lessons (I don't think Cathy Duffy even lists 100 EZ in her book) I was looking at The Reading Lesson and Reading the Easy Way (the v. Bendt book) but I will also look at MFW and PPathways.

I've used both SWR and AAS. They both teach all the sounds of a phonogram at the same time.

Thanks for your input Tabrett. I was putting away our Phonics Pathways to keep on with HOP. You reminded me of why I loved MFW so much to begin with. I'm bringing out the PP again and taking HOP and BOB books back to the library. DS really is just rhyming words when I think about it. Thanks so much!

So I guess that makes my top picks MFW then Phonics Pathways. (we have the pyramid book, now called Reading Pathways that goes along with it too..something else to look into)

Thanks for the input Heather. Yes, WP teaches all of the sounds of a letter at the same time. That is why a student gets done with phonics and reading at a high grade level quickly. There are three different beginning phonics programs, so your second question would depend on which one is used, I think. WP is one of two choices I have for DS, but I did not know about the program when teaching DD to read.

Ronda, Emily is reading very well though she never finished a phonics program. We never got to some sounds, like soft G. I wanted to get our bases covered. How to Teach Spelling teaches phonics through spelling and has 4 workbooks total, grades 1-12. It is working very well for us. It is less expensive and moves much faster than AAS. DD should be done with book 2 by the beginning of second grade. That is way ahead of some slower programs. You can combine the workbook pages, flash cards and TM in order to slow down or speed up the program as needed. You can also look at The Writing Road to Reading, which I found at my local library.

AAS is a great program if it is needed, but there are children who can move faster without all of the bells and whistles. It is not the only phonics based spelling program by a long shot. It is just new with lots of excitement. See this link: Phonics based spelling....other than AAS? (moving quicker maybe?)

Thanks for your input Tabrett. I was putting away our Phonics Pathways to keep on with HOP. You reminded me of why I loved MFW so much to begin with. I'm bringing out the PP again and taking HOP and BOB books back to the library. DS really is just rhyming words when I think about it. Thanks so much!

So I guess that makes my top picks MFW then Phonics Pathways. (we have the pyramid book, now called Reading Pathways that goes along with it too..something else to look into)

Your welcome.

The pyramid book is Reading Pathways-Got it:D. We just haven't got far enough in PP's to start yet.

So would you mind sharing which you like better - or how you felt about them??? :) :) :)

I used SWR with my 12 yo the year she was in 3rd grade. It just didn't work for her, and that was the year she began pulling her hair and calling herself stupid. At the beginning of 4th grade, we tried Calvert Spelling on CD, and that was the key that finally unlocked spelling for dd. She is a right-brained, visual-spatial, whole-to-parts learner who is mildly dyslexic.

I tried AAS with my 7 yo, when she was still 6 yo. It moves too fast for her and we were getting nowhere with it. She has dyslexia and a total lack of phonemic awareness. We are now using 100 Easy Lessons, which has worked much better than anything else we've tried. It was adapted from the Distar program, which was purportedly very successful for teaching children who have dyslexia. But the odds are that at some point she will hit a wall and we will have to switch to an OG program. I am planning to use Barton Reading and Spelling if/when that happens.

If SWR and AAS would work for my children, I would definitely choose AAS over SWR. It's laid out so that it's much easier to use than SWR. It's also more fun.

I think that if you want an all in one program with rigor and you are planning on having a large focus on Latin, that is when you would want The Phonics Road. It uses the vertical method, like WinterPromise. Personally, I would go for this if I was going to focus on Latin.

"The PHONICS Road to Spelling and Reading</SPAN> is a complete K-4 curriculum offering the parent a comprehensive video teacher training text with an emphasis on accurate speaking, spelling, writing, reading, grammar, composition, and preparation for The LATIN Road to English Grammar."