Menu

Other Option for Thinkwell Pre-Calc

Dd has completed both Thinkwell's Algebra and Geometry and began their Pre-Calc this year.  She's finding that the videos are not explaining all that she needs and that the workload seems to have increased dramatically with this class.  She's taking quite a heavy load of AP classes, but after having had an easy time with the last two classes from them, it seems off or at least, not a great fit anymore.

She'd like to take AP Calculus next year so I need a class that will prepare her for that. 

Dh and I are not up to giving her the support she needs for this class.  We both would need to relearn too much math!  We need either a strong video series and text or an online teacher.  I looked at AoPS but worry if it's not the right fit, that we will have lost more time.

Please help!

If I were to buy a text to support the Thinkwell videos, which would be the best fit?

Do you already have the workbook?

http://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/products/pre-calculus

Derek Owens uses the Michael Sullivan Precalculus text-book.  I have a 5th edition it is a good text.

A Step by Step Problem Precalc Solver may help.

Pre-calculus Demystified, Second Edition

Pre-Calculus Problem Solver (Problem Solvers Solution Guides) Revised Edition

try to borrow from your library before you buy

OR

http://blog.wolframalpha.com/2009/12/01/step-by-step-math/

I assume the OP has already purchased this course and would like to supplement it.

Yes, OP here, we've purchased the course and the workbook but dd feels that some points are being glossed over. I think she needs a super clear text to consult when she runs into one of those sticking points.

She's a high academic achiever who learns very well by herself but is feeling overwhelmed with this year's course. The algebra and geometry were fine and she did great.

With so many texts to choose from I've felt overwhelmed and out of my depth.

Thanks for the suggestions!

An example is that she was saying that they hadn't really covered imaginary numbers but just started using them. Once she read up on the definition, she was fine.

Oh - this is an example of topic that needs to be solid by end of Algebra 2 so a Precalc class would expect this.  There is lots of free material on web to review topics like these.

I see now that Thinkwell does not have an Algebra 2 class on the homeschool site so maybe an Algebra 2 refresher book is needed.

Good Luck

To do DO PreCalc, you first need Algebra 2. Thinkwell Pre-calc is a combination of Algebra 2 and Trig. Algebra 2 is normally a stand alone year long course. I would think she is in trouble here because she is moving through a class that is actually 2 classes and trying to do it at a one year pace.

I'd get another Algebra 2. You could pick up a copy of Lial's Intermediate Algebra inexpensively from Amazon. It has very solid explanations of everything Thinkwell has in Algebra 2.

• Like 1

My dd also did Thinkwell Precalc. It's a big course, and sometimes there's a disconnect with concepts such as you describe. Also sometimes the exercises don't quite match up with the video lesson.  

We used Lial's Precalculus as an additional resource and that worked quite well. We already had the Lial book on hand since ds had used it as a primary text for a different Precalc course. The first part of the book reviews necessary concepts. Lial's Intermediate Algebra, mentioned above, would probably also be a good resource.  Anyway, Lial's Precalculus is also easy to obtain inexpensively from Amazon. (We are also done with our copy if you are interested.)

• Like 2

To do DO PreCalc, you first need Algebra 2. Thinkwell Pre-calc is a combination of Algebra 2 and Trig. Algebra 2 is normally a stand alone year long course. I would think she is in trouble here because she is moving through a class that is actually 2 classes and trying to do it at a one year pace.

I'd get another Algebra 2. You could pick up a copy of Lial's Intermediate Algebra inexpensively from Amazon. It has very solid explanations of everything Thinkwell has in Algebra 2.

DO's Algebra 2 course is light years ahead of Lial's Intermediate Algebra.  My son did the Lial book last year and it was like Algebra 1 on steroids.  

Since I had had experience with DO's precalculus course, I knew my son needed something beyond Lial's Intermediate Algebra before moving into it.  So he is now using DO's Algebra 2 and I would say that it is maybe 50% new material beyond Lial.  And it is the perfect introduction to DO's precalculus course.

If the OP is interested in DO, and there are holes to be filled in Algebra 2, I'd recommend starting with his Algebra 2 course (and going quickly).

An example is that she was saying that they hadn't really covered imaginary numbers but just started using them. Once she read up on the definition, she was fine.

They're covered in algebra 2, in 5.1.5 and 5.2.3 -- did she do their algebra 2? The way you're saying "both algebra and geometry" makes it sound like she just did an algebra course and a geometry course, in which case it is not at all surprising that she is finding precalculus overwhelming. 

• Like 3

Yes, she only took Algebra 1 and Geometry. Thinkwell's pre-calc is supposed to combine Algebra 2 and Trig.

I would stretch out the Precalc course to the end of June or even July if possible (advantage of the 12 month subscription).

This would allow completion of the other AP classes in May so less overall stress.

• Like 2

Yes, she only took Algebra 1 and Geometry. Thinkwell's pre-calc is supposed to combine Algebra 2 and Trig.

The problem with that is that their Algebra 2 is very standard, equivalent to Lial's Intermediate Algebra (I have both). Their Pre-Calc only adds trig. This really leaves out some more advanced algebra topics that normal come in College Algebra or Pre-Calc classes and means she can not easily move to another Pre-Calc, because she doesn't have the Algebra 2 pre-requisite that other Pre-Calc classes have.

I bought the CD's for Thinkwell's Pre-Calc and found it to be accurately labeled, algebra 2 and trig. I don't think that is what most pre-calc classes are though. Most take up after Algebra 2 with more advanced algebra topics (college algebra) and then move into trig.

Since she is struggling, I'd back up and fully support the Algebra 2. Using Lial's Intermediate Algebra + Thinkwell should work. Using LIal's as your primary text and Thinkwell videos for support might work better but whatever she is comfortable with. When she finishes the Algebra 2, go ahead and do the Trig, but you may very well want to pick up a college algebra book to work through somewhere along the line.