Menu

BJs Wholesale Club

Cottonwood

I really liked BJs when we lived in upstate NY.  We had previously been major Costco fans, but there was no Costco in the area.

What I liked....

gas (not all of our Costcos have sold gas)

good organic selection

smaller packaging sizes  (yes you can get giant warehouse sized stuff, but occasionally there is normal sizes too)

nice deli where you can get sliced meat, cheeses, etc.

BJ's storebrand is good....comparable to Kirkland/Sam's

nice books/magazine selection

We had a membership for a few years, but when a Target opened close to us, we let it lapse. We don't buy food in bulk packages because we are a small family. A regular sized package is buying in bulk for us! Bulk food items would likely spoil before we could use all of it. I do buy paper products and personal care items in bulk. I did a price comparison and found that shopping at Target with sales and coupons is usually the same price or  a little cheaper than shopping at BJ's. Coupons aren't hard for me, so that wasn't an issue. Lately, I've found that with coupons and sales, some things are even cheaper at CVS than they are at Target. 

We are soon to get a Costco and we will explore that membership, but warehouse clubs aren't always the best thing for a family of our size. 

I don't think BJ's is much different than Costco's or Sam's Club. The variety might be different, that's all.

Here are the items I buy regularl, that I think are a good buy:

--Smucker's peanut butter

--maple syrup

--parmesan cheese wedge (Locatelli)

--bags of lemons and limes

--tortillas

--portobello mushrooms

--fresh mozzarella cheese

--Kerry Gold butter

--Cabot cheddar cheese

--avocado oil

--x virgin olive oil

--some dried spices

--craisins

--organic free range eggs

--organic frozen fruit

--coffee filters

--roasted peppers

--nuts

--flour

--feminine products

--magazines, gift cards, greeting cards

--dishwasher tabs

--dishwashing detergent

You can "stack" coupons at BJs. They have store coupons that can be used with manufacturer coupons for the same item. I've also heard (but haven't tried) that if you buy say a 3 pack of marinara, you can use 3 manufacturer coupons for the pack.

It seems like much of the produce at BJs is cheaper at BJs that Costco. I am making a price book, so I suppose I will have proof eventually.

I love BJ'S and much prefer it to Costco or Sam's. Mostly I like that they sell a lot of things in smaller sizes than Costco does. It could just be the BJ's near me, but it doesn't get as crazy during busy hours as Costcos in our area. And I love that I can use my regular credit card there. I don't like having to take cash or a debit card to Costco. I do most of my shopping at an Asian grocery, but for things they don't carry, I get almost all of them at BJ's. I dread going to Costco and we usually don't get a membership, but I like going to BJ's.

We like Costco more than BJs.  BJs is good for some things but they tend to have more processed foods and not so great prices.  We had a membership but let it lapse since we go to Costco more often.  They do tend to have more organic produce where we are.  And my kids would tell you their samples pale in comparison to Costco. 

I prefer BJs over Costco and Sams. Our Costco is more expensive for what we buy and it's always super crowded.

What I like:

I don't have to buy everything in bulk

They take credit cards and I like to use CC for everything to earn points.

The store brand is pretty good

But mostly it's about the ice cream sandwiches! They are the only store that I've found nearby that sells my favorite brand.