Menu

Article: "Why Our Brightest Teens May Be Opting out of High School."

We are homeschooling because Sacha was being sent to the director's office of his *preschool* with regularity. I assumed it was just a boy thing until I started to talking to other mothers of boys and realized that mine was the only one acting out

He still has some issues on occasion with disrupting his weekly homeschool charter classes. He walked out of his math enrichment class last year because he was so bored. His teacher promised differentiation, but it wasn't enough. He swears that he loves his charter school classes, but we've avoided anything math or science related this year due to his acceleration in those subjects.

It would be hard for me to imagine him fitting back into a regular public school environment.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting the link. It ties in with a lot of thoughts I've been having lately about what on earth to do with my daughter for high school. The traditional path will make her absolutely miserable. Stifle all her creativity and energy. She won't have time for any of the things she loves. It's just so hard for me to let go of the 4x4 march that I know she is capable of, but won't suit who she is, and I'm beginning to think is not the best preparation for anyone. I am living a life my mother never would have imagined, and I think with the changes in technology, the work world, the whole world my kids will have lives impossible for me to imagine from this vantage point on the timeline.

But I'm so insecure about letting go of the old model. Having a hard time even thinking about thinking outside the box.

• Like 2

The thing that we're facing with DD right now is that she so wants the "normal" high school experience, which I think has everything to do with so many TV shows, movies, and books having a school setting. She wants dances and talking at your locker with a cute boy and stuff like that.  She knows, intellectually, that it won't work at the local schools, but she still has this ideal in her head. She doesn't have that romance built up about college, maybe because she's been on college campuses so regularly through her life and has an association of college as where you do serious work.

I'm hoping she "Grows up" soon!!

• Like 3

My son does not meet the attendence requirements of our brick and morter school district due to the traveling he does for his non profit. His speaking engagements would not be excused absences. That pretty much did it for the idea of public high school.

Your son has a non-profit? Amazing! I'd love to know more, but respect your - and his - privacy. 

Your son has a non-profit? Amazing! I'd love to know more, but respect your - and his - privacy.

He started one called GenEarth to mobilize kids against climate change and speaks regionally about changing our cultural mythology away from using the earth as a commodity to the earth being sacred.

It allows him to write grants, begin clubs in high schools, and to utilize many resources which are not avaliable to youth. He found a loophole by getting 501C3 status.

• Like 8

He started one called GenEarth to mobilize kids against climate change and speaks regionally about changing our cultural mythology away from using the earth as a commodity to the earth being sacred.

It allows him to write grants, begin clubs in high schools, and to utilize many resources which are not avaliable to youth. He found a loophole by getting 501C3 status.

Again I say: Amazing!!!

The thing that we're facing with DD right now is that she so wants the "normal" high school experience, which I think has everything to do with so many TV shows, movies, and books having a school setting. She wants dances and talking at your locker with a cute boy and stuff like that.  She knows, intellectually, that it won't work at the local schools, but she still has this ideal in her head. She doesn't have that romance built up about college, maybe because she's been on college campuses so regularly through her life and has an association of college as where you do serious work.

I'm hoping she "Grows up" soon!!

It doesn't have to be either-or. My middle dd has managed to take a few courses at the local public school (and go to dances, have close friends, date, etc.) while still being able to challenge herself with college courses and self-study at her level. It has eliminated the isolation I see in other gifted high school homeschoolers I know. She has intellectual peers but also age peers.

Not every student needs that - my oldest had no desire for high school peers - but for students who seek it as my dd did, it's possible.

• Like 1

My middle dd has managed to take a few courses at the local public school (and go to dances, have close friends, date, etc.) while still being able to challenge herself with college courses and self-study at her level.

Homeschoolers don't have the option to take any class at the public school here. That is why we are touring private high schools now to shortlist potential high schools.