Menu

GF snack suggestions for kids.

1GirlTwinBoys

Fruit, cheese, yogurt, nuts. Do you want processed gluten free junk food? Kinnikinnick KinniToos are like Oreos. We don't buy them often because they are addictive. But maybe not if you're used to the real thing.

Really, snacks shouldn't be hard for three days unless you are trying to replicate gluten snacks? What does she normally snack on?

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but 3 days is probably not long enough.  When I went gluten-free, it took about 6 weeks for me to start feeling better.  (The intestines take a while to heal.)

Healthy snacks:  berries, apples, carrot sticks, etc.

Non-healthy snacks:  most potato chips, most tortilla chips and salsa, chocolate, fruit snacks, specialty items such as gf pretzels and cookies.

• Like 7

Just my opinion, but 3 days is probably not long enough. When I went gluten-free, it took about 6 weeks for me to start feeling better. (The intestines take a while to heal.)

Healthy snacks: berries, apples, carrot sticks, etc.

Non-healthy snacks: most potato chips, most tortilla chips and salsa, chocolate, fruit snacks, specialty items such as gf pretzels and cookies.

I agree with Junie. It took me longer than three days to see a marked difference. I would also eliminate dairy, as I have read and heard that many people who have gluten intolerances also have issues with dairy. Maybe give the gluten free trial a certain amount of time and then add the dairy back in.

My favorite gluten free snacks are almond/cashew butter with apples, bananas, corn chips and salsa, hummus and veggies, cheese melted on corn tortillas, celery and almond/cashew butter, almond flour chocolate chip cookies (I use this recipe http://elanaspantry.com/crispy-chocolate-chip-cookies/ only I use butter and cane sugar instead of palm shortening and coconut sugar), air popped popcorn with melted butter and coconut oil and salt.

Best wishes!

• Like 3

Dried fruit, fresh fruit, yogurt, veggies, corn chips and salsa, string cheese, gf pretzels, potato/sweet potato chips, ice cream, nuts, cold cereal with milk, gf bread or muffins...

I agree that 3 days will probably not be a good indicator. The majority of my family is gf for various reasons. When we removed gluten from our oldest daughter's diet for behavioral reasons we saw an improvement after 2 weeks. If you're trying to deal with digestive issues, my guess is that it would need to be longer.

Just my opinion, but 3 days is probably not long enough.  When I went gluten-free, it took about 6 weeks for me to start feeling better.  (The intestines take a while to heal.)

This.  The doctor tested my daughter for Celiac, but said to give the gluten free diet 3 months even if the result was negative (it was positive so the diet became permanent before the 3 months were up).

Think as close to nature or only a small amount of processing as possible for gluten free snacks.  Fruit, vegetables, cheese, even hummus.  There are tasty processed snacks, too, that are marked gluten free.  My kids love Zapp's potato chips, certain flavors of Lay's Stacks, Lance's gluten free mini peanut butter crackers, and Nut Thins.

• Like 1

My dd6.5 is gf, and our usual, everyday snacks are nuts and dried fruit, or fresh fruits and veggies.  I keep some gf junk food (Glutino pretzels (which are really good, not just good-for-gf ;)), Enjoy Life soft-baked cookies, and Annie's bunnies) around for when we go to parties or otherwise bring junk into the house, plus I keep Rice Chex, gf crackers (Rice Thins), and Chex granola around for occasional "special" snacks. 

My husband noticed a huge difference how he felt though within 3 days.  The bad symptoms will start letting up fairly quickly in a lot of people.  

My husband noticed a huge difference how he felt though within 3 days.  The bad symptoms will start letting up fairly quickly in a lot of people.  

I'm glad your husband felt better so quickly.  Hopefully your daughter will feel better soon, too!