Menu

Oak Meadow English 9

Has anyone used this? I think that next year I would like to go with an English program that is set up for me rather than piecing one together myself. 

I'm also considering LL American Lit (both semesters) + my own grammar + Lively Art of Writing (my original plan before I decided to investigate a "boxed" program) or Excellence in Literature. Oak Meadow appeals to me more than EIL, but EIL looks more (the dreaded word) rigorous.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I used OM World Literature with my two kids a couple of years ago (when they were in 10th and 11th grades) and we really liked it. :) I felt there was a nice balance of literature and composition (including vocab and a light grammar, usage, mechanics review along the way). We were used to reading and writing at lightning speed with Sonlight, so it was kind of a relief to slow down and really discuss the literature in-depth. 

• Like 2

I haven't used OM for lit, but we all liked EIL I don't think of it as particularly rigorous. I think it is a solid English credit, but not at all overkill. It is organized, easy to follow and has no busy work (our only OM experiences were full of busy work). There are no tests, just papers. 

We were posting simultaneously, but if EIL had been dull, we'd have never made it. It was liked by both my English/book lover, and my English/book hater.

• Like 4

My son is using this now.  I can definitely recommend.

It takes the student on the 'hero's journey'--  has poetry (from Mary Oliver) and literature (ie. The House of the Scorpion, Kidnapped, Into the Wild etc..).

The student keeps a main lesson book (MLB) with written responses to short essay questions, maps, vocabulary, etc. It's a little 'artsy' which my son was unsure of at first, but has actually gotten into as the semester goes on.

In addition, there are some exceptionally good lit analysis questions/discussion.

• Like 3

I felt there was a nice balance of literature and composition (including vocab and a light grammar, usage, mechanics review along the way). 

This is good to know. I feel that by using three separate programs (one for lit, one for writing, and one for grammar), like I am now, I am overkilling on some stuff. Since dd is very strong in language arts and will be doing honors biology, Latin 3, and geometry (NOT my strong point in math) in 9th grade, I feel like we could go a bit easier with the language arts. Not "lite," but not three full curricula, if that makes sense.

We were posting simultaneously, but if EIL had been dull, we'd have never made it. It was liked by both my English/book lover, and my English/book hater.

I'm glad to know that my impression (from their samples) likely was incorrect!

In addition, there are some exceptionally good lit analysis questions/discussion.

Good news! I definitely want to delve deeper into literary analysis.

Thanks!

DD#1 is using three modules of EIL American this year. (I pieced together using a variety of resources we own.) I personally think it is interesting, but it is somewhat what you make of it. There is a LOT of latitude to using it - both from an assignment perspective & a student research perspective. FWIW, we aren't doing formal grammar. EIL is both Lit & Writing if you require all the papers. (Originally, DD had a separate writing class & I hadn't assigned a lot of the writing in EIL. When that class didn't work out, I was able to re-vamp the plans to assign more papers in EIL as well as in her History class. I really liked the flexibility.)

• Like 1

My son is using this now.  I can definitely recommend.

It takes the student on the 'hero's journey'--  has poetry (from Mary Oliver) and literature (ie. The House of the Scorpion, Kidnapped, Into the Wild etc..).

The student keeps a main lesson book (MLB) with written responses to short essay questions, maps, vocabulary, etc. It's a little 'artsy' which my son was unsure of at first, but has actually gotten into as the semester goes on.

Agreeing with all of this.  

It's a wonderful course.