Menu

WWE3 with the dyslexic speller?

pitterpatter

I've decided to drop W&R Fable this week. I'm having the worst time finding a replacement writing program. We used WWE2 last year and it was okay. DD enjoyed the story excerpts and more or less enjoyed it until the end where it switched over from copywork/dictation to dictation only. She doesn't typically have problems remembering the dictation, but she's dyslexic, which really shines when she's spelling. WWE directions state not to let the student make a mistake, to correct him/her immediately. When DD's having an off day, she can literally misspell every other word of a dictation, which is incredibly frustrating for both of us and totally messes up the fluidity of writing. During curriculum-buying season, I discarded the idea of using WWE3 this year because it's so dictation-heavy. Any advice for using it with a dyslexic child who greatly struggles with spelling?

You can skip the dictation, find your own easier dictation, let her type it with spell check, write down all the words she has difficulty with or do studied dictation- ie let her see it beforehand, maybe working up to doing the copywork from the beginning of the week as dictation with the difficult words on her paper/board so it doesn't stress her out.

• Like 1

for my dyslexic children we continued doing copy work for longer. I just copied out the dictation as copy work. For DS11 he does dictation once a week, writing his own sentences 3 times a week and copy work 4 times a  week. HIs problem is that he cannot read back what he has written. in fact he has such a  degree of Dyslexia that he can hardly read at all.

• Like 1

for my dyslexic children we continued doing copy work for longer. I just copied out the dictation as copy work. For DS11 he does dictation once a week, writing his own sentences 3 times a week and copy work 4 times a  week. HIs problem is that he cannot read back what he has written. in fact he has such a  degree of Dyslexia that he can hardly read at all.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!

I only have the WWE3 sample to refer to. I assume the two dictations per week pattern follows throughout the book. Would it make better sense to convert both of them to copywork, or complete one as copywork and the other as studied dictation (with perhaps a word bank for particularly troublesome words)? We use AAS and I was trying to keep all dictation within that realm. Would it be helpful at all to have DD repeat the dictations turned copywork from memory three times before having her copy them? I feel like circumventing this step defeats a large part of the program. We also use Rod & Staff for grammar and CLE Reading, so she does do some of her own writing in those subjects as well.

Thanks for the replies!

I only have the WWE3 sample to refer to. I assume the two dictations per week pattern follows throughout the book. Would it make better sense to convert both of them to copywork, or complete one as copywork and the other as studied dictation (with perhaps a word bank for particularly troublesome words)? We use AAS and I was trying to keep all dictation within that realm. Would it be helpful at all to have DD repeat the dictations turned copywork from memory three times before having her copy them? I feel like circumventing this step defeats a large part of the program. We also use Rod & Staff for grammar and CLE Reading, so she does do some of her own writing in those subjects 

If she does dictation already I think I'd try studied dictation with the word banks for one of the passages, maybe just one a week or so. It has been so long since I did WWE3 that I can't remember details, one option is to cut the length done but I just don't remember if that is feasible. You could also think of doing WWE2 but if it is just the dictation that is holding her up that wouldn't necessarily be necessary.

• Like 1

We completed WWE2 last year. It really is just the spelling issue holding her back. It's too interrupting for me to sit at her elbow and correct her mistakes as she makes them. It frustrates her and then she also wants to use me as a crutch to get done faster.

The other option, I guess, would be to have her write the dictation with spelling errors and then go back and have her correct them at the end. That's not how WWE is supposed to be done, though.

If she does dictation already I think I'd try studied dictation with the word banks for one of the passages, maybe just one a week or so. It has been so long since I did WWE3 that I can't remember details, one option is to cut the length done but I just don't remember if that is feasible. You could also think of doing WWE2 but if it is just the dictation that is holding her up that wouldn't necessarily be necessary.

I suspect dd9 is dyslexic and we are doing WWE 2.  Sometimes I do copywork instead, and sometimes I do studied dictation using the markings in Spelling You See (which we are doing).  So before we do dictation, she studies it and colors all the multi-letter phonograms (yellow for vowels and blue for consonants) and silent letters (green) and R-controlled vowels (violet) and suffixes (orange), and I've added in blends (brown), because she can't hear blends well and pretty much always misspells words with them.  DD9 has a really good visual memory, so once the markings have "forced" her to see all the little bits that make up the word, she usually can spell the words she's marked.

ETA: Forgot, we also mark y-as-a-vowel (red, I guess?  or pink?  IDK, think I mixed up the colors somewhere, but it doesn't really matter anyway, so long as you are consistent.)

• Like 1

This is exactly why we do dictation from an OG program instead. Then we are working with rules that have been previously taught and I have ds go back and try to self-correct errors. If he cannot find them, he uses Ginger and then me as a last resort. For writing, we have used Verticy most successfully, which was written specifically for dyslexics.

• Like 2

Ugh...none of the composition samples work, except the ones for the orange book.

This is exactly why we do dictation from an OG program instead. Then we are working with rules that have been previously taught and I have ds go back and try to self-correct errors. If he cannot find them, he uses Ginger and then me as a last resort. For writing, we have used Verticy most successfully, which was written specifically for dyslexics.

I reformatted the spelling book linked in my siggie for my dyslexic child.

He is 12 and does dictations in those spelling lessons.  I have him do copywork also.  He covers the passage and peeks as needed, covering again before he writes.  That takes the pressure off, but still gets him working on imprinting the words in his mind.

• Like 1