Menu

Okay, she's in college now, when can I toss her high school work?

clementine

I am the opposite of a pack rat.  I cleaned out right after ds started college.  As I went through it, I told myself, "Don't look, just toss".  I sometimes throw things away that I wish I had kept.  OTOH, I'm not an overly sentimental person.  What I did keep:  the homemade diploma in a picture frame with his transcript in back of the diploma.

ETA:  I tossed the physical stuff.  I still have school work stored on the computer somewhere.

• Like 1

It is quite rare, but every once in awhile, someone on these boards has shared their experience of their student applying for an international program, or a job that requires a very in-depth background or security check, or a graduate/doctoral program from a school that really does want NOT ONLY transcripts, but portfolio of work all the way back into high school.

In answer to your question, while you can toss the majority of the work, I'd suggest keeping enough of all types of the work done to meet ANY POSSIBLE future need, even though the likelihood is extremely remote. The saying at our family: "Better to HAVE it and NOT NEED it, than to NEED it and NOT HAVE it." ;)

So, in addition to papers and projects, for each class, keep a handful of tests/quizzes, and samples of daily homework/exercises from throughout the course for each class on the transcript. Some sample schedules, or even better, course descriptions and a syllabus for each course would be excellent items to keep as well.

Three-hole punch, place all in binder with a labeled divider for each course, and, voila -- 4 years of high school in one binder, available for any potential future need. Include at least half a dozen original, signed copies of the final transcript (for the possibility that you, as the homeschool administrator and transcript recorder, were to unexpectedly pass away before the student needed the transcript). Also include an official, signed high school diploma. (You can print your own, or purchase a fancy one.)

An official, signed, final diploma and transcript are the two items most likely to be needed in the future, but keeping a handful of sample work as well as major papers and tests will satisfy ANY potential future needs. One fat binder (or, if you prefer 4 thin binders, one for each year of high school), shouldn't take up too much shelf space, and it will provide peace of mind knowing you have everything you possibly need. :)

When DD is established in her own home/life in a few years, hand over the binder to her, and she can be responsible for her own records. :)

Congratulations on your college student! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 8

We tossed his stuff before he left. I let him go through the stuff. He had kept a lot of junk just because there was room to shove it in a bookcase. He did not want to keep any of his old notebooks. I kept a few of his old papers etc.. but his room is so much cleaner now! Miss him, not his junk!

• Like 1

It was crazy but when dd who had three years of U of MI Ann Arbor as chemistry major - top 30 school - and had been a licensed medic for two years needed to transfer her license to New Jersey, the state would not accept her college transcripts! No joke...they wanted proof of high school and since she was homeschooled, demanded that I produce not only her transcripts, as well as a score report from ACT, they wanted a portfolio that proved she'd had algebra 2 and biology.

Yah....staggered the imagination because high school biology at any high school or homeschool is apparently MORE rigorous than paramedic school and college biology or organic chemistry at the University of Michigan! LOL, I get that there are guidelines or requirements, but when these things are so set in stone that logic cannot be used, then it's kind of crazy.

Thankfully, I hadn't tossed anything yet, and had a few biology exams around as well as her lab notebook, and her algebra 2 final exam. Worried they might still want more, I sent copies of her pre-calc final, chem final, and a long description of her senior science project in chemistry/physics.

So having learned from that experience, I am keeping a portfolio for each boy until the bachelor's degree is firmly in hand if not grad school. 

• Like 13

It was crazy but when dd who had three years of U of MI Ann Arbor as chemistry major - top 30 school - and had been a licensed medic for two years needed to transfer her license to New Jersey, the state would not accept her college transcripts! No joke...they wanted proof of high school and since she was homeschooled, demanded that I produce not only her transcripts, as well as a score report from ACT, they wanted a portfolio that proved she'd had algebra 2 and biology.

Yah....staggered the imagination because high school biology at any high school or homeschool is apparently MORE rigorous than paramedic school and college biology or organic chemistry at the University of Michigan! LOL, I get that there are guidelines or requirements, but when these things are so set in stone that logic cannot be used, then it's kind of crazy.

Thankfully, I hadn't tossed anything yet, and had a few biology exams around as well as her lab notebook, and her algebra 2 final exam. Worried they might still want more, I sent copies of her pre-calc final, chem final, and a long description of her senior science project in chemistry/physics.

So having learned from that experience, I am keeping a portfolio for each boy until the bachelor's degree is firmly in hand if not grad school.

Wow, Faith -- thank goodness you hadn't thrown it all away!!!

I'm so glad you posted about this, because I now know to try to keep ds15's high school work well-organized and to hold on to it far longer than I would have assumed was necessary. (He isn't done with high school yet, but I'm glad to have this warning so I am careful to save the important stuff!)

Thank you!!! :)

In your dd's case, I would have assumed that states would have a reciprocal arrangement for paramedics, as they do for other professions, so your dd would have only had to present her Michigan certification in order to be certified in NJ. I had no idea anyone would have to jump through hoops like that. It's absolutely ridiculous! Your dd must have been shocked when they started demanding all kinds of documentation. She was obviously both qualified and certified!

• Like 1

It was crazy but when dd who had three years of U of MI Ann Arbor as chemistry major - top 30 school - and had been a licensed medic for two years needed to transfer her license to New Jersey, the state would not accept her college transcripts! No joke...they wanted proof of high school.

I'm sorry that happened to you! What a mess!

Your comment is a good reminder that starting college is not the same as finishing college. A degree can be interrupted for all kinds of reasons. As long as the high school diploma is the highest level actually completed, it's probably a good idea to keep the documentation for it.

• Like 3

This is the fear I live with. I've seen several people say things like this for various higher ed and jobs.

I have a small portfolio for each year of high school and I plan to keep them. I am thinking of combining ds's into one complete high school portfolio now that he is in college. I never kept everything, but I have tests, some papers, and some lab reports. I also keep electronic copies of everything they ever turned in in digital format which is a lot in our homeschool. 

I am with the keep it in case people. Not every last worksheet, obviously, but more than just their yearly portfolios. For example, I have heard people say here that they needed to show lab notebooks to admissions people to prove they had taken various high school lab sciences. I (unfortunately) can envision a scenario where a student transferred or applied to grad school or applied to some sort of professional certificate program where this question could arise again. And there are the international requirements for jobs or school that I,ve heard are interested in one,s high school work. Better safe than sorry.

Nan

• Like 2

I was not happy to read "better keep a good portion of it".  BUT... I sat in the living room today, surrounded by her 4 years of school work & really enjoyed looking through it.  I think it was a little therapeutic, ha!  

I ended up taking a large file-folder container and keeping whatever could fit inside - all of her course descriptions, some notes & worksheets, tests, and important essays/projects.   

Thanks ladies for the "been there, done that" advice!!

• Like 2