Menu

Grading turn-around with Derek Owens?

Our grading with Derek Owens has usually been within 24 hours; they are fairly fast. This week has been weird and I am wondering if it's a computer glitch on my end.

I sent two papers on Sunday and resent them Monday because I wasn't sure about the scans. The paper turned in on Monday, was returned on Tuesday, but the earlier papers and anything turned in yesterday haven't been returned. They are very prompt in answering inquiries and those haven't been returned either.

Is anyone else having problems?

Thanks everyone. I think I am a bit too anxious these days over the small things. Several assignments were in my inbox this morning with very early hours stamped on them. He's scheduled for taking a chapter test on Monday and I wanted to have all the corrected work back for him to study. There seems to be so much to do this final year, especially with college admissions, that I am protective of "the schedule." :tongue_smilie:

I did want to add that we think Derek Owens's program is very good.  Ds disliked math before we starting homeschooling in fourth grade. In fact, math was the primary reason we starting homeschooling. Ds did Saxon for a couple of years and then Foerster for Algebra I. He started to really enjoy math and was adamant about self-teaching and pacing. He took Geometry his freshman year at the high school with a poor teacher the first semester and the school's top math teacher the second semester. He still loved math and did well. For sophomore year, he took the Advanced Algebra II class at the high school (it compresses years 3 and 4 in the math sequence into one) and he didn't love. We were told there were two teachers: the good, but tough one and the nice, but incompetent one. Ds got the later. He didn't return for the second semester and we've been floundering to recover ever since becaus ehe was so turned off. Foerster's second volume didn't resonant like the first one did and AoPS resonated really well, but took way too much time for someone who is not a STEM major.

I finally listened to all of you and Derek Owens is becoming a really good fit. Ds still has some bad habits left from ps that we are working on. Last week he spent an hour working on a problem that I couldn't help him with. I finally asked him if he had watched the lesson and done the practice. Of course not!  He's now doing what he needs to do and making math the priority first thing in the day. Sometimes, he doesn't want to stop.  It's great to see his satisfaction with math again. Hopefully, his proficiency, which is a bit rusty, will come back as well.

The instruction in the videos is very clear, there is enough work to master the concepts, but no busy work, and the customer service is gracious and usually quick. For us, this is great value for the money and a good answer for the need for higher math (than mom can handle or has time for) that is self-paced, but still has accountability and help available.

• Like 2

My dd used Derek Owens last year for Precalculus.  Before this, she has had some good and not so good math experiences, too, primarily when I tried to teach her Algebra our first year homeschooling, during 8th grade.  She had a hard time finding a curriculum that fit her especially because it was our first year.  We chose Derek Owens because she was leaving for France in February and a whole year class would not work.  Derek Owen's program worked pretty well for her.  His videos were good, and the practice problems worked well.  She just does best with more accountability and an in-person teacher.

When she had to stop taking the class in February, and I emailed to put it on hold, I was told we had paid the full amount (7 months maybe?) and that she could have access to the class when she returned for however much time she needed at no charge. Seems like a good deal.

Pauline

• Like 3