Menu

Do we have any self-educators on this board?

I know many here work ahead of their dc's planned studies for better understanding and teaching later on. I was wondering if anyone here is studying something purely for their own pleasure.

I am not homeschooling this year so I have time to myself each day. I was thinking of putting that time towards educating ME.

Last year I took a course on the History of the English Language through the U of Wisc Independent Learning program. It was interesting, but demanding, and I had to take an extension to finish. I'd love to take their Latin courses, but don't have the $$$ right now, and probably not the time, either. (Dh is finishing up his degree right now.)

I did enroll in the Master Knitter level 1 program through The Knitting Guild of America, but haven't actually done much work on it recently. :)

Kelsy

into a graduate program, but am applying to a different program instead, which is going to require a little more work on my part.

I just enrolled in a beginning Latin class through the University of Georgia--a distance learning option. I've done h.s. Latin through Henle I with my dd's---now this will be studying it for myself, with Wheelock's.

I'm also reading and re-reading through as many works of American and British Lit. as I possibly can, in order to prepare for the GRE Subject Test in English Lit. I just finished Beowulf and am now reading (and enjoying!--it's a hoot!) The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.

I hope to do much more when the kids (now 9th and 10th grade) are no longer my educational responsibility.

For now, although I have wonderful resources for both Great Books and history, I'm doing things that are a little easier since I'm not able to concentrate on it as much as I hope to in a few years.

I'm working through Rod & Staff English 7 and 8 because I would like a deeper knowledge of grammar, and Rosetta Stone Spanish because it's convenient and easy to learn, and one of the more useful languages in the U.S. at this point.

I try to do a little most days, but don't always succeed.

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Do you have the new Version 3 for homeschool. I'm seriously considering Spanish as our modern foreign language w/ RS.

Christmas present for the family perhaps...

As far as self-education, I'm reading tons of history & lit ahead of my kids. That is all I have time for at this junction.

Latin, who are we kidding? I'll let Mr. Spotts take take care of that. My dream of re-learning algebra is not going to happen either. My ds is light years ahead of me already. I give up :)

Do you have the new Version 3 for homeschool. I'm seriously considering Spanish as our modern foreign language w/ RS.

Christmas present for the family perhaps...

No, I have the old Version 2, but it works okay. I've struggled with the Student Management System at times, though. I don't know what the differences are between the two versions.