Menu

Folks who sew and/or make costumes - help needed

Pegasus

First, a small whine because I naively thought that kids would age out of wanting to make costumes. Instead, with my two DDs at least, the concepts just become more elaborate.

We spent the afternoon rummaging through thrift stores to find pieces that would work for DD's planned character costume.  We had a lot of luck and found most of what she wanted.  One piece is a short black jacket.  We'll need to add a narrow white trim around the edges.  I picked up 1/2" single-fold bias tape but am having second thoughts about trying to sew it on.  The edges of the jacket are already thick from the jacket construction and it will be a huge pain to sew through so close to these edges (so that 1/4" of white shows on the outside).

Any ideas?  Since it is a costume and will likely only be worn a few times and won't have to hold up through washing, etc,  could we get away with fabric glue to hold the bias on?  What about using fusible bias tape - would this hold if we just ironed it on?

None of us are talented seamstresses so any easy "cheat" ideas are welcome.

Thank you!

I can sew and all, but I've used duct tape many times with costumes. I mean, it's going to be worn once or maybe twice. What's the point of doing a good job? So, yeah, I say bring on the cheats. Fabric glue is okay too.

I second duct tape - they do make it in white.  Or, if you really want the fabric, it may actually be easier to sew it on by hand.  Yes, it will take a bit of time, but will likely be considerably less frustrating and more accurate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update - Used white electrical tape for the white trim on the jacket.  Worked so great that we used black electrical tape to put a symbol on another part of the costume and red electrical tape to trim the boots. Used hem-bond to shorten the pants. *whew*  Lots of work got done today.

I'm just glad that DH is helping younger DD build her, even more elaborate, costume.

Not sure if these links will be allowed but here is what older DD is going for:

http://www.absoluteanime.com/fullmetal_alchemist/ed.jpg

And younger DD:

http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/char-alphonse.php