Menu

Almost 9 year old interested in "electronics and machinery,"

Runningmom80

If he hasn't already done Lego WeDo, my ds loved it (but flew through it). 

It's drag and drop programing of lego and electronic motors and sensors to make the things you build move. There are lessons on levers, crown gears, worm gears, etc. for machines. 

We also got some books on electricity and created our own "research book" on what we learned in each chapter. We used pipe cleaners to create atoms and then pasted them down on paper and drew how the electricity jumped from proton to proton (ok, this was three years ago...I've already forgotten and am probably saying this wrong). We went through all the different ways that electricity was made and drew diagrams of how those machines worked, etc. 

Have fun!

• Like 1

On the machinery topic, if you have an old non-functional or unused stand mixer, sewing machine, vacuum cleaner, or similar item, you can let him take it apart and see if he can figure out which parts do what. This is how my younger brother started and he's now a very competent amateur mechanic for all types of things. 

• Like 2

All of this "robotics" stuff is going to bankrupt us! :laugh:

While maybe not bankrupt you, it is a hobby that to some extent requires some spending, though as you learn more, you get better at repurposing items.  (Here it helps to have an experienced hobbyist helping you.)

For example, I was watching a video on how to make a DIY paper plate speaker (a great project, btw!)  and the guy said he needed some copper wire.  So instead of just going to radio shack for some wire, he kicked open an obsolete television and pulled out some wire!  (Skip to 1:35 for this scene.)

In any case, I firmly believe it is money well spent.  

If you end up using the Make: Electronics book by Charles Platt, I'm happy to help you make purchasing decisions.  

• Like 1

While maybe not bankrupt you, it is a hobby that to some extent requires some spending, though as you learn more, you get better at repurposing items.  (Here it helps to have an experienced hobbyist helping you.)

For example, I was watching a

(a great project, btw!)  and the guy said he needed some copper wire.  So instead of just going to radio shack for some wire, he kicked open an obsolete television and pulled out some wire!  (Skip to 1:35 for this scene.)

In any case, I firmly believe it is money well spent.  

If you end up using the Make: Electronics book by Charles Platt, I'm happy to help you make purchasing decisions.  

I appreciate that!

All of this "robotics" stuff is going to bankrupt us! :laugh:

My hubby rummage through his company's employee ewaste corner which is near the pantry :)

If you have a RadioShack closing down, it is worth getting the Make Electronics Kit 1 & 2 at half price. DS9 did kit 1 independently during summer until it became too hard without help so he will continue during winter break and next summer.

• Like 1