Menu

Anyone remember this cooking show?

Katy

It was on in the late 1980's or early 1990's, I think either on PBS or maybe the Discovery Channel. 

There was a male chef with gray hair. I think he had a British accent. I think maybe he'd had a heart attack or something because his goal was to recreate recipes that were lighter but still delicious.  He used a lot of techniques like straining yogurt to use instead of sour cream, and caramelizing onions in a little wine, and sauteing things in balsamic vinegar to add flavor.  At the end of the show he'd compare the calories and fat in the original recipes to his new, lighter version.

I can't remember the name of the chef or the show, but I'd like to figure it out and see if he has any cookbooks.

I can't remember the name of the chef or the show, but I'd like to figure it out and see if he has any cookbooks.

Graham Kerr has lots of cookbooks available, but the earlier ones (Galloping Gourmet and Graham Kerr Cookbook) are not low fat. The ones from the 90s on are the ones that relate to the show you're remembering, after he and his wife had health problems.

This got me curious...

His most recent shows were:

Gathering Place 2001

Swiftly Seasoned 1997

The Best of Kerr 1996

Graham Kerr's Kitchen 1992

I'm thinking the show you're thinking of is Gathering Place.

No, Gathering Place is way too recent.  I remember watching the show as a child.  I was an adult in 2001.

I think maybe it was the Graham Kerr Show, as his wikipedia page says that aired on discovery channel at about the right time.

No, Gathering Place is way too recent. I remember watching the show as a child. I was an adult in 2001.

I think maybe it was the Graham Kerr Show, as his wikipedia page says that aired on discovery channel at about the right time.

Remembering gray hair threw me off! I think all of these shows emphasized healthy substitutions.

My memories of the Galloping Gourmet show are that Graham Kerr dipped virtually everything he made into clarified butter, then he'd slip an sample into his mouth and have a near-orgiastic reaction. Following up with a big belt of wine (that he called a "short slurp").

Loved that show :D

Bill

• Like 1