Menu

How long to know if a bone is broken

Daria

I took DS to the Dr. with a sore swollen hand, yesterday at 3:00.  They told us he needed xrays and it could be urgent so we should get it done right away so the doctor could talk to me tonight.

When we got to the hospital around 4:15, they said that they couldn't share the results with me, because of the way the prescription was written only our doctor could read it.

Now it's almost 3:30 the next day, and the pediatrician still hasn't called.  I've called 3 times and they can't even tell me if they have the results.

Am I wrong to be upset?

I hope your son is feeling better and heals quickly.

I would be beyond upset if I were you. That the office cannot take one minute to put your mind at ease is ridiculous.  If it were at all possible I'd probably go sit at the doctor's office and not leave until the doctor spoke to you.  I would also be looking for a new doctor.

Hugs to you both and I hope everything turns out ok.

• Like 5

When DD had a broken thumb over the summer, we went to the Dr them got the xray and went straight back down to the Dr who informed us it was, indeed, broken. We were told the same day. I'd think their lack of response indicates it's not broken. But who knows...hopefully he feels better soon. I'd be angry too and looking for a new Dr asap.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ridiculous to be kept in the dark. But, in the meantime, you can splint the hand yourself. Take a wash cloth and fold it in half and then roll it up. Let your DS grab this like a cup with his fingers and thumb curled around the rolled cloth. Then take strips of gauze or cloth and wrap them around the hand and wrist like it is a big boxing glove. There should be pictures online, but it works until you can get results of the X-ray.

I've called 3 times and they can't even tell me if they have the results.

I would be annoyed and upset.

The pediatrics dept. nurse could tell me if my kids results are in even though they can't tell me the results itself. Usually they will tell me when would be a good time to call back so they could put through my call to the doctor.

Their doctor gets the results within 24hrs normally and in an hour if urgent. It is a medical group though so lab is in-house.