Menu

Cool way to teach compound vs. complex sentences?

Maybe something on School House Rock?

I get how they're different, but I'm terrible at explaining it. My one son looks at me like I'm nuts when I try to explain the difference between complex and compound sentences.

Do you have a super cool way of getting the ideas across?

I'd hang interesting posters in the bathroom!

Play interesting grammar songs in the car!

Anything. . .!

Thank you!

Alley

Not a cool way, but a good program that will get your child to thoroughly understand the different types of clauses (which is all that is needed to understand compound/complex sentences) is MCT LA.

I'm not sure what MCT LA is. I'm not sure I'm up for buying a new curriculum.

Alley

Well, if two clauses are connected by one of seven coordinating conjunctions (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) then it is a compound sentence:)

If it uses another conjunction (a subordinating conjunction) it will be a complex sentence.

But ai agree MCT is awesome for teaching clauses through diagramming. I only understood grammar when I bought MCT to do with dd:)

My high school English teacher, who made up her own curriculum and was in all points awesome, used a little visual that helped us remember complex vs. compound. She drew little-better-than-stick-figures on the board, a daddy and a mommy for independent clauses, and a baby or child for dependent clauses. Then she showed by drawing different sets of characters that a compound sentence was a daddy and mommy without any children (two independent clauses), a complex sentence was one independent plus one dependent (one parent with one child) and a compound-complex sentence had both parents and child (two independents and one dependent). She taught us how to identify independent vs. dependent clauses, and the rest was easy. The little visual stuck to this day. :)

• Like 3

My high school English teacher, who made up her own curriculum and was in all points awesome, used a little visual that helped us remember complex vs. compound. She drew little-better-than-stick-figures on the board, a daddy and a mommy for independent clauses, and a baby or child for dependent clauses. Then she showed by drawing different sets of characters that a compound sentence was a daddy and mommy without any children (two independent clauses), a complex sentence was one independent plus one dependent (one parent with one child) and a compound-complex sentence had both parents and child (two independents and one dependent). She taught us how to identify independent vs. dependent clauses, and the rest was easy. The little visual stuck to this day. :)

Oh, that's a good one.  I've been using train cars for the independent clauses and a caboose for the dependent clause, but I like this one better.

Not a cool way, but a good program that will get your child to thoroughly understand the different types of clauses (which is all that is needed to understand compound/complex sentences) is MCT LA.

GuestHollow has a cool printable sheet for the MCT 4 level analysis that addresses the compound/complex sentence part. Nice bright colors. I laminated it and put it in Dd's notebook. And we don't even use MCT.  ;)